52 weeks in Guilin, Guangxi Province, China. - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 52 Projects - Photo a Week

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013   #11
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 3077006
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: 52 weeks in Guilin, Guangxi Province, China.

Bamber, I don't know about being able to show you China (its massive!) but I'll try to give you a glimpse of Guilin,

Toonamp, not really a Hamilton man, more the Di Resta and Raikkonen type but I agree it was a good showing from Mercedes. I saw that there were 5 men this morning as I left for the market, each with only a sledgehammer getting hard at it in 30+ degree temperatures.

Thanks again to all for the interest.
horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 57846952

Always nice to see captures from a members part of the world, nice set Horace.

Canon 80D - Canon 6D - Canon 500L - Canon 17-40L - Canon 24mm Pancake - Canon 40mm - Sigma 24-105 ART - Sigma 105 macro - Samyang 20mm - Canon 1.4 mkIII
Mark Lattimer-Hedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #13
Vicuna

not quite week 2 but thought I'd post a few more from the past few days.
The first is the demolition in progress from another angle to show its position in relation to other buildings. My bike had a thick layer of dust one morning so I can only imagine the state of the washing hung out to air on the opposite building.
At the time of writing the main structure has gone and now its only the removal of the rubble left to do. A couple of women have joined in with the loading of wheelbarrows while the men continue to crack the bigger pieces of brick and concrete.
The following 2 are pictures of the local market, maybe the first of them belongs in the Roof Challenge for May? Fresh vegetables daily and the meat section, best to arrive early for the best selections, especially in this weather! (its 30+ and rising)
I'm trying to concentrate more on the composition side of things, balancing things such as the roof in the market picture but then later I see the coal delivery lady on her 3-wheeled bike and just hit click! I get sidetracked very easily and this photography malarkey takes concentration whereas I'm still in *shoot-everything-and-hope-to-get-a-good-one mode I'm afraid, but its cool trying.
Loving the warm, dry weather listening to Tom Browne - Everyone loves the sunshine.

* this must exist, it cant only be me!
Old 05-15-2013   #14
Vicuna

think its best I post the pictures I mentioned. D'oh!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cam52-7.jpg (216.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-10.jpg (205.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-11.jpg (242.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-9.jpg (202.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 05-15-2013   #15
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261
Editing OK?: Yes

Lovely images of your travels, Horace. Thanks for taking us with you.
Old 05-15-2013   #16
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 34637132

These are excellent, please keep on "Shooting every thing that catches your eye "
toonamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013   #17
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 60523190
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonamp View Post
These are excellent, please keep on "Shooting every thing that catches your eye "
Ditto that.

Myself not being one of those world traveler types. I love seeing different parts of the world.

52 weeks completed "completed"
pete's-try-at-a-365 "Completed"
P & A Photos Flickr
P & A Photos Photobucket
I live in the Land of the Free because of the Brave!
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #18
Vicuna

We have had some changeable weather this week from glorious 30 degree sunshine to torrential tropical thunderstorms. Managed to get out a few times and had a quiet BBQ at the side of the river one evening where I encountered a few water buffalo grazing on the bank. (picture1)
Picture2 shows all that's left at the demolition site, I promise no more shots of this unless something is built there quickly!
Along with numerous others, all vying for the most favourable vantage point, I spent a little time trying to capture the Gold and Silver Pagodas in Ronghu Lake, downtown. Trying to "read" the screens of others to find out the settings they are using is an interesting exercise to say the least, some are open and will chat away whereas others are a lot more guarded. I wasn't overly happy (I got one-ish) with my results that evening so returned during the day for a different view of things.
How long is this lorry? Looked out of my window to find this beast reversing out onto the main road without any assistance and had to take a picture. By the time I had got the camera out he was out of there and on his way. At the front of the lorry you can see a small van passing, the type you normally see being delivered from these huge transporters. They are loaded 2 abreast, by that I mean side by side running the whole length on both upper and lower levels.
Not the greatest picture of my local primary school but its in a nice setting and the sky was blue after the rains.
Thanks again to those that have shared in looking at my pictures and for the encouraging comments, I have just previewed my post and looked at the pictures again and I like them! I confess to fiddling with them with lightroom and then resizing them in photoshop but I'm happy with the results as I see them. I'm colour blind and wondered if I'm compensating colour-wise one way or the other? The first thing I do in Lightroom is alter the contrast from linear to medium, (not every time, but most times) because it seems to "freshen" the trees and hills. Maybe this has nothing to do with colour blindness and more to do with the camera settings, just wondered.
Someone once said "that there is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothing," true maybe but you just gotta love the sunshine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cam52-14.jpg (196.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-15.jpg (238.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-12.jpg (226.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-13.jpg (246.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-17.jpg (182.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-16.jpg (219.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 05-20-2013   #19
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 34637132

Horace, these are absolutely amazing. To see photographs of the the day to day life from someone that is living there, is extremely interesting to me. I used to travel constantly to different countries, and stay within the communities, I can no longer manage, so your photographs are partially filling that gap

Take as many photographs of the demolition as you like, it's been an insight to see how they worked, and the tools and the vehicles used.

That lorry is incredible. As are the rest of your shots
toonamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #20
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

Awesome shots of life in your locale, Horace. The images are all great. That old truck in the second shot is amazing.

- Chase Jarvis
wolfd is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 52 Projects - Photo a Week »

Share this topic: