Run Bob, RUN! ~ A photographic adventure in exercise
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 365 Projects - Photo A Day

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6288727
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Run Bob, RUN! ~ A photographic adventure in exercise

Well Bob (and his mommy) have decided to write off the year 2013 and to start a new plan that they can hopefully keep to! Since Bob is SO much into running for the last few months and has lost almost 20 pounds, he has decided to share his journey with the world... He will be taking some more pictures tonight when he gets home, he just decided this morning that this was going to be his new adventure! Bob hopes you all come along for the ride and wish him luck along the way!

7/22/13. Fat Bob No More

Bob decided today he had enough. Promptly deciding that this time – unlike every other time – is different. That’s what he decided to tell himself, and this time he was going to believe it. He had had enough of his behind being in another zipcode, his cute little clothes being too tight, and being too scared to get on the scale every morning. In fact, he gave up the scale – for about 3 months – and look where that got him? Fatty, von-fat-fat.

So this time, again, is different. This time, he’s changing his shape. From square to silhouette. From bulging to breathtaking. Today is the start of something beautiful.

1.jpg

7/25/13. Fly Bob, Fly!

Today, Bob flew.

From Monday when he wheezed the barely one mile from his house out into the sweating South, it is now Thursday and today, he flew. Well, jogged actually. But it felt like there was wind beneath his tiny little arms and air underneath his feet. Bob hasn’t jogged – ever – in his life, but today, for three glorious minutes (separated by a few minutes of regular walkies) he was free! On top of the world, and could run forever. He thought he would try it for 10 seconds, he never thought he could do it for a whole 5 times more x by three more times!

Today, Bob has achieved a milestone. He achieved a goal he didn’t know he had. And now Bob is hooked and wants to try for more, and more and more!

2.jpg

7/29/13. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, Bob.

Bob has seen a light!

A light where perhaps his tiny little thighs don’t rub together for all eternity, or where his love handles magically disappear. Where he can be free, one with the air and the wind, and peace. It has been one week. One week since he started “strictly” on his Bob-morphing-eating right program, one week since he decided to change his life, for good this time. One week since he put one wooden foot in front of the other and did something he never thought was possible. Now he is training for a 5K, in 9 weeks. He will be running 3.12 miles. That is a huge goal, and will be a huge accomplishment, and a huge feat of strength. And hopefully the start of a new Bob, one where there is less of him to see, but having gained so much more.
Today Bob went for an extra long walk, with cramps mind you, because Bob wanted to drink another beer. Nell, Bob’s girlfriend, thinks it’s funny that he will sacrifice food and even do more exercise so Bob can have alcohol, but he is very proud to say he has been exceptional with his pint-size will power and have had no more than 2 beers in any day since last Monday! That, for Bob, is exceptional. He knows there will be days where he doesn’t do this, some on purpose even, but for today, Bob is very proud.

3.jpg

Old 10-10-2013   #2
F1 Camel

Default Re: Run Bob, RUN! ~ A photographic adventure in exercise

8/1/13. Running in the rain Bob

Yesterday Bob ran in the rain. With an umbrella! It must have been quite the sight to see for sure. A sweating, bedraggled, pants-wearing sand collecting soul slothing around the neighborhood with a giant golf umbrella in tow. It was a rough “jog” and very grueling. For some reason running around the office in air conditioning seems to be a much better idea! (Bob decided it was because he ate salad for lunch and ran before dinner. No fuel = no energy. That’s what he’s blaming it on, anyway. But never fear tomorrow is another day!

…. Contd.

Today was another day. Today Bob finally decided to spend some money on some gear. It’s A M A Z ING what proper gear feels like. He picked out the cutest neon green and pink shoes, some very expensive socks and a rocking headband. Life is good, now all he needs to do is have all that make me go faster! Next stop, cute compression socks to keep the splinters away… oh, and headphones! Inspiration, here we come!!!

4.jpg

8/12/13. Angry Bob

Bob would like to say he’s been nicer since he started exercising, dramatically decreased his drinking and having happy endorphins running free-range all over his body, but it’s simply not true. Bob still doesn’t sleep, he’s still a crab-ass in the morning – in fact, he’s even more tired, and all he wants to do is run, anywhere, EVERYWHERE, RIGHT NOW!!! When he wants to go to sleep, even if the poor guy can’t keep his eyes open he may as well be a dog chasing a rabbit complete with leg-twitching and restless ankles. And his knee, of course, still hurts. Bob has of course, self-diagnosed that it’s bursitis, and is going to treat it as such until he can’t stand it anymore and end up having to go in for a diagnosis. In the meantime, he gets to play around with 101 different ways to tape his knobly little knee in fun colors to see which works best! This stuff is as expensive as alcohol, but in some ways, much more fun (let’s just hope he’s not allergic like everything else latex based with glue-attaching tendencies!)

On the other plus side, Bob and his daddy went on his first 10-mile bike ride yesterday morning so they could go to lunch with some friends as a (gasp) buffet! 537 calories of expenditure meant Bob could happily eat some shrimp, oysters fruit and an omelet and not feel like a heffer-lump. However, apparently the scale did not agree with his ultra-rich intake yesterday and punished poor little Bob by adding 2 pounds to its final total this morning. Not to be dismayed, tomorrow is (well, it’s today)!

5.jpg

9/18/13. A letter from the bottom of Bob's heart

Bob had such an amazing run today… After attending the Georgia Game Changer’s running clinic two days ago, he decided to write the owner of the company a thank you letter, for all the tips he learned that helped him SO much today! Bob would like to share this letter with you, as it truly summed up how great he felt while pounding the pavement today! Yes, it’s a bit sappy, Bob knows, but this runners-high he experienced has made him a little gushy! He promises next time he checks in he’ll be much more manly… even if he is wearing pink shoes and a headband….

“Dear Sandra,
I just wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my heart. Not only did meeting you and your family and game changing team change my life, but now I did something I’ve never done before. Because of your class I ran my first ever 5k tonight. Because you taught me how to move my arms I didn’t squander all my energy and even gained it each time I swung. Because you taught me how to hold my posture and how to lean my hips and knees stayed true and my run/jog was so efficient, and comfortable, and felt AMAZING for the first time ever. I could have gone on and on! I am so proud of myself, it’s like the planets have aligned. Such small tips made the WORLD of difference to me. I’m so so so happy right now. It is like night and day from where I was to where I’ve now found myself. Thank you. Thank you, THANK YOU!!!! Have a wonderful anniversary and I look forward to coming back to class and now beating my first ever 5k time!!!!!
Bob”

6.jpg
graphicography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #3
F1 Camel

10/5/13. Good job Bob, your very first 5K!!!!

Today, Bob did the most amazing thing! He ran his VERY FIRST 5K! 39.11 minutes of soul searching, foot pounding, ethereally-deep happiness. Bob was so proud of how far he’s come, from the first few minutes just 10 short weeks ago where he could barely put one foot in front of the other, to today, where everything was perfect. Where the planets aligned, where nothing hurt, where he didn’t come in last and where people were cheering him on. His very first race, his very first Bib, his very first of so many more. Bo couldn’t be more proud! Bob’s daddy was so supportive too, putting an adorable message on his bathroom mirror for him to find after the race saying what a good job he did! Incidentally, Bob decided that since he was going to be slow, that he would make the most of it and made himself a race-tutu out of tulle! Bob wore said race tutu and got so many comments and compliments and people stopping to take pictures that it was just awesome and gave him a big grin for most of the day! He even won horseback riding lessons for his creative dressing efforts! Yes, you heard right, winner of the first ever tutu division! Bob thinks this might start a trend. He wore it all day in celebration. He is so, so very proud.

(Bob is using a placeholder of his mommy until he gets his own photos of the race processed. He hopes you understand)...

8.jpg

10/10/13. Back ache-Bob

Bob went for a run yesterday with a sore back, came back from his glorious caloric expenditure and iced it, worried about it during a fitful non-restorative sleep, and woke up to much of the same. Bob is very proud that he ran so wonderfully yesterday, for all of 51 minutes – the longest EVER – but is a little concerned about his twinging left side. Nevertheless, Bob is a trooper and will not let anything stop him. He has two recovery/cross training days ahead of him, and is continuing to live by the very much clichéd adage – no pain no gain! Two weeks ago it was his hip flexor, or something in that general vicinity, but this too shall pass!

7.jpg
Old 10-10-2013   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 7958959

Old 10-10-2013   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 58394711
Editing OK?: Ask First

Very cool Bob series, Miranda!!

BambersImages Flickr
Etsy Shop Print Sales

Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you.
“Happiness is a habit – cultivate it.” ~ Elbert Hubbar
A Camera puts a frame around life. ~ Joel Meyerowitz
BambersImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 60523190
Editing OK?: Ask first

So nice to see Bob back and getting in shape. Can't wait to follow along

52 weeks completed "completed"
pete's-try-at-a-365 "Completed"
P & A Photos Flickr
P & A Photos Photobucket
I live in the Land of the Free because of the Brave!
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #7
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgal View Post
Thanks so much, Ksgal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambersImages View Post
Very cool Bob series, Miranda!!
Bob thanks you so much, Clare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
So nice to see Bob back and getting in shape. Can't wait to follow along
Bob thanks for you for your comments, Pete!
Old 10-13-2013   #8
F1 Camel

Garmin-Bob
10/13/13

Bob decided it was time to get himself a self-present as a reward for all the hard work he’s put into his running! He went to his favorite running store and talked to their awesome staff and ended up with a fancy-dancy new Garmin watch! He is so happy with his cute new toy that he wanted to play with it right away. But unfortunately it had to charge so he decided to go have a drink with the neighbors so he could wait for it to charge! In the meantime he read the manual from cover to cover so that he could program it in the morning and go for his long run!

11.jpg
Old 10-13-2013   #9
F1 Camel

Bob got his photos back from the photographer from his big race on Saturday!!! He had so much fun. He wishes it could happen ever weekend!

On the starting line!
9.jpg

Some pre-race stretching!
8.jpg

7.jpg
Old 10-13-2013   #10
F1 Camel

And here are some more pictures from Bob's last visit to his favorite running store!

3.jpg

6.jpg

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 365 Projects - Photo A Day »

Share this topic: