Just a quick poll: RAW or Jpeg - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 365 Projects - Photo A Day

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012   #11
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 169270948
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Just a quick poll: RAW or Jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf66 View Post
in my mind its simple like 256 colors verse 6million colors that's interpretation of raw vs jpg
Actually it's 16.777 Million colors vs 4.398 Trillion assuming your camera sensors resolve the data to 14 bit. But aside from that, jpg is a destructive file format. There are thousands of threads and articles on why jpg is inferior. It's OK for certain types of output and distribution. However if you one is going to use jpg, it is much better to shoot RAW, save the RAW file as the archival digital negative, and then process jpgs from that RAW file. Allowing some firmware in a DSLR to make decisions on what to save, throw away, clip, and distort is playing Russian Roulette with at least 3 loaded chambers.
Cheers, Murray
mistermonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

Came across this interesting article the other day.

RAW vs JPG
Old 11-12-2013   #13
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 250596
Editing OK?: Ask first

I see lot of improvement after I started shooting RAW. Besides, there is so much of latitude for correction in exposure; u can correct under or over exposure upto 2 stops without much distortion. I use View NX 2 supplied by Nikon with the camera.

And as for as Ken Rockwell's article in the link above given by wolfd, it's just his impression; no arguments.
ssreddy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #14
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 450862
Editing OK?: No

One of my biggest photography mistakes was to not shoot RAW from the beginning.

And I can thank Ken's FUD texts for that, so I'd advise you do not listen to him.
All the best, Silv. Contributor to our fine-art photography blog, mixed with some documentation shots. @Kamerahelden on Twitter. Always happy about insightful critique of my photos here on the camel and elsewhere.

Berliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #15
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 742136
Editing OK?: Ask First

I shoot only in RAW. For a few reasons:

1. I get better results converting the images myself rather than relying on the camera's formula for processing.

2. RAW files are large. I used to do both--have a jpeg and RAW, but when I bought my FX that changed, which leads me to #3.

3. I shoot with a Nikon D800. The files are huge. Keeping the jpegs and RAW files can fill a flash card up pretty quick.

There also many creative advantages to shooting RAW files. You control the processing of your image. A jpeg is essentially your camera processing the image for you in a formulaic method. It doesn't take into consideration the vision you had while taking the shot.

However, there is definitely a time/place for jpegs. If you are doing shots that you probably won't print or have no desire to take things to the next level creatively, than jpeg is perfectly suitable for the task and they will save you a lot of memory and disc space too.
At_a_Glance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #16
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2966889
Editing OK?: Ask First

Both if the jpeg isn't to good out comes the raw ^^

Philbys 365
philbyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #17
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 487620
Editing OK?: No

I shoot Raw for everything except when I am shooting a function for one of the organizations where I am a member.
Basically these functions are just snapshots and candid shots and offer me no artistic value. BTW, I do no fee based photography so I am not beholden to anyone when I shoot.
Old 11-18-2013   #18
Llama

CamelKarma: 333551

Usually just raw. If I'm doing shooting at church functions where I know I won't have time to convert, I'll shoot either both, or just JPEG. Sometimes I need to dump straight from the camera to the computer for slide shows via JPEG.

John Zerbe
JZerbe is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 365 Projects - Photo A Day »

Share this topic: