What to do with the images...
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 365 Projects - Photo A Day

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012   #1
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 2606656
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default What to do with the images...

OK 365ers...

here we are taking N photos per day... publishing one or however many each day... I'm a long way from filling up my HD... but my wife commented the other day 'so what do you do with all of the images?'

She and my son want to print some of them up and try the flea market scene this summer... but other than that sort of idea, what the heck do you do with all of this product?

C&C always encouraged. And I have thick skin, so don't hold back. I may disagree, but I enjoy the C&C process! (glutton for punishment?)

My blog (you'll see some familiar stuff plus some older images)
OTL_Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 83089142
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: What to do with the images...

I have my own brand, (Cards - By - George), of greeting/thank you/note cards that I use some of the best images I have. I'm thinking of doing a calandar of the spider macro shots, and selling them on my website and ebay.
The rest of them that are not too crappy are saved for stock photos if I need them for one reason or another.
When I get around to it, the rest are deleted!
Olympus C5050Z P/S
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II
Kenco 1.4 Teleplus Pro 300 DGX
Nikon 105mm Micro 1:4 AI
Nikon 60mm Micro F:2.8 D AF-S
Nikon AF 28-80mm 1:3 3.5-5.6 G
Nikon 55-200mm F:4-5.6 G VR DX AF-S ED

georgepats-daily-diary-digital-delight-2014-a.html

georgepats-daily-diary-digital-delight.html

spiders-spiders-more-spiders.html
Georgepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTL_Photo View Post
here we are taking N photos per day... publishing one or however many each day... I'm a long way from filling up my HD... but my wife commented the other day 'so what do you do with all of the images?'
This is an interesting question, which can easily lead into an existential crisis. Your wife you can tell, she should be happy that you don't fill up cupboard after cupboard with slides, negative and prints, which all attract magically dust. Also tell her, the internet is for her a wonderful outlet to show one's work there, so you don't have to organise slide presentation to show them a captive audience of friends and family.

But in the end, it's just the same as with amateur photographers since the beginning: If some unfortunate accidents don't destroy part of the collection, the heirs will take care of them, in most cases in a far less lovingly manner. Digital here presents the big improvement that it offers far more ways to easily lose one's whole oeuvre. Or how many readable files do you still have dating back to 1984? I know, I can't access the diskettes in the attic from back then any more. Prints on paper still have the best survival chance.

Back to the 365-ers, I'd like to add a second question: Has any of you made out of your work a diary photobook? If not, why not?

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 60523190

I have been pondering this same thing. Right now, the ones I like, I keep either in flickr or photobucket (full sized versions). In the hopes of getting up the courage to handle the rejection of some of the stock places.

Also, I have some framed for the house. I am currently printing out all of my regular 365 photos. Not all of them. Just the ones that have a number associated with them. So that, I will be able to look back if I finish it.

You can also, start your own site (which I also have not had the courage to do yet). You can offer printed versions, framed versions, or just the digital version for a price.

52 weeks completed "completed"
pete's-try-at-a-365 "Completed"
P & A Photos Flickr
P & A Photos Photobucket
I live in the Land of the Free because of the Brave!
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6288727

I have my own site, and I keep only the size versions I post here and dump the rest - I am almost at a terrabyte of space "hogged" on the home server, and it only goes to 1000GB, so sooner rather than later I'll have to dump more off... I have kept maybe a handful of full size ones in the last year or so, except of course for the paid gigs, I keep all those but dump the raw files when done editing...
graphicography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1508066

Storage is cheap, put them on a drive and store them. Each drive will cover so many years. If the medium changes you can change with it. I also will do a book of my projects too.
Tinstafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 58394711
Editing OK?: Ask First

Miranda!!! Buy some external hard drives. At a minimum, you should be backing the wedding pictures up to an external as well as your normal drive!!

BambersImages Flickr
Etsy Shop Print Sales

Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you.
“Happiness is a habit – cultivate it.” ~ Elbert Hubbar
A Camera puts a frame around life. ~ Joel Meyerowitz
BambersImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012   #8
OSD
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 267032

I've done a cheapish photo book through Shutterfly for both of my finished years. Most of the photos are small thumbnails but I have the whole year in one place, and more or less in order. I quite enjoy flipping through - it brings back memories and I get to see how my photography has progressed.

I have to say I think it is interesting that you (the OP) refer to your photos as "product"... Your post implies that you expect that your 365 photos should somehow be desirable to others. I can't speak for anyone else but I know that the vast majority of mine mean very little to anyone but me. The volume I produce doesn't change that fact.

Rereading that paragraph I am worried you will think I am being harsh - I don't intend that at all. It is just that I think of my photos as personal, as memories (for me or for others), or maybe as art, but never as product. It is an interesting choice of words...

That said, I have thought about trying to get an exhibition if I get to 1000 days. I think it would be kind of neat to see them all up on one wall.

Physically I keep my photos on an external drive and use Lightroom as my catalogue. I delete the obviously bad shots permanently, and flag the keepers as such, but everything in between I mark with a colour tag for deleting from the catalogue but not from the drive. That way if (god forbid) someone I've photographed dies or whatever I have the ability to go find the photos again if I need to. And the external drive is cheap enough I'm happy to replace it once it is full, even if I never access 99% of the photos again.
OSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #9
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 2606656

Well, I guess I need to do some editing of my old images... I'm up over 250G on my hard drive at the moment... and probably 2/3 of that are images from the past 2 years. I'll put an external HD on my wish list... all of these nasty other expenses keep cropping up however... food, fuel, rent... lol

C&C always encouraged. And I have thick skin, so don't hold back. I may disagree, but I enjoy the C&C process! (glutton for punishment?)

My blog (you'll see some familiar stuff plus some older images)
OTL_Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #10
OSD
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 267032

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTL_Photo View Post
. all of these nasty other expenses keep cropping up however... food, fuel, rent... lol
Pft! Who needs food?!

Walmart sells a 1TB drive for about $100. At the rate I'm going these days I'll fill one every 3 years or so. I'm okay with that.

(C&C is ALWAYS appreciated. Please!)
The website
OSD is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 365 Projects - Photo A Day »

Share this topic: