Here's Mine: - Page 12
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 365 Projects - Photo A Day

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011   #111
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 383956
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Here's Mine:

OK it's been quite some time, I figured I had better post another update here...

Golden Spiral

After supper, I was out taking pictures of the bright golden leaves on the neighborhood trees, trying for interesting compositions. After downloading, I realized that this one almost exactly matched the Golden Spiral guide in Lightroom.

Fall Textures

Another Fall shot, this time emphasizing the textures. The wood (base of a wire fence) was composed such that it would go from corner to corner, and separate the light from the shadow. The grass was meant to include color and texture, while the leaves were included for their color and to add to the fall ambiance.

Family Photos

We attempted another family shot today, and this time it actually worked out! The key for Maija is candy: bribe her with jelly beans or something, and she will look at the lens and even (somewhat) smile.

This shot was taken about 20 minutes before sundown, with the sun serving as a hair / rim light, and on-camera flash providing fill. I probably should have brought another tripod and used off camera flash, but that would have been a bit too much to get set up (plus, shooting into bright sun makes Nikon CLS miss sometimes... one definite plus for radio slave flashes.)

Minimal PP in Lightroom (white balance, slight vignette, crop), with some Gimp work to get rid of electrical wires in the sky (I saw them when shooting, but couldn't shoot around them, as it was either the wires, direct shot into the sun, or a road).

Sunset

I was luck to be able to shoot family portraits for our friends today. We were in Fish Creek right at sunset, and I was able to do some shots into the setting sun. Of these, this is one that I am quite happy with. It's definitely different from my normal shots, but I feel it adds a bit of dimension.

Larch

A closeup of a larch tree. Larches are conifers (i.e. pine trees) that turn yellow and shed their needles in the winter. For a few weeks at the end of September / beginning of October, these trees bring bright colors to the forest.

Ladybug

While out raking the lawn and weeding the front garden, I probably came across a hundred ladybugs. They must be getting ready for winter by digging into leaves or something, but whatever the cause, they are everywhere. This one was kind enough to pose for me on a piece of driftwood.

This shot was taken with the 50/1.4 AI-S + all three macro tubes, at 1/180s, f/16, ISO 800. It is lit only with the setting sun.

Self Portrait +1

A tripod + IR remote self portrait, plus Terran. Camera on tripod about 1m away, with Sigma 30/1.4 at f/8. Camera set to AF at release time. Flash on camera with homebrew diffuser. Minimal PP (levels, vibrance, clarity, vignette).

The Power of Reading

Maija loves books, but is not a fan of posing. I figured I could get her to do the latter by encouraging her with the former: the outcome is this picture.

Of the half dozen frames shot, this is the only one in which she is not making some sort of funny face.

This was shot with a remote flash with diffuser, triggered via CLS, hidden in the book. A (very small) bit of fill light was provided by the popup flash. There is a thick blanket behind the white curtains, blocking out the remainder of the evening light (I should have just waited another hour, but Monica was heading out and needed the flash.) Exposure was 1/180s at f/9.5, so as to keep the ambient light from spoiling the effect.

Jack O' Lantern

Maija and Terran posing next to the Jack O' Lantern we carved today. Maija and I decided to do an angry pumpkin face.

This shot was one of about 30, and was the only one in which both of them look somewhat happy. It was shot with the 50-150 at 85mm, f/5.6, ISO 100, with remote flash with CTO gel (to give a warm cast, reminiscent of candles) fired at EV +0.3, and the popup flash (with no gel) fired at EV -1.0.
TheBigOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011   #112
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 45106380

Nice light and colour. I really like the family shoot.
Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011   #113
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 34637132
Editing OK?: Yes

Good catch up, nice to see back posting.
toonamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011   #114
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

Lovely catchup series. Nice to see you back. I really like all the family photos.
Old 10-29-2011   #115
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 2683374

really good set, well shot!

SONY A99 A580 and A55
........Carl Zeiss 16-80mm, .Sigma 50-500mm (bigma) f4, Minolta 50mm f1.7, Minolta 35-70 F4 Macro. Minolta 28-85mm F3.5 Macro. tons of studio lights and modifiers 9 full frame
Brian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #116
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6288727

very nice catchup! you have a beautiful family! And nice to see some different shots from you!
graphicography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #117
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 383956

Well, my project is now complete! 365 shots, no misses. While I am not starting another one this year, I am doing a 2x 52 project for each of my kids, with the criteria that the photo has to be related to them individually (so far I have taken only portraits, but that is not a strict requirement).

Thanks to all of you for your help and support through this. I felt that I have grown a lot in my photography skills over the course of the year, and am very glad to have taken on this challenge. For anyone who may be interested in seeing the entire set, you can view them at http://photos.digitalcave.ca/galleries/365/index.html

My last shot was a self portrait:

The Finale
For my final shot of this project, I wanted to do something special. I have only done a few self portraits this last year, so decided to try one for the ending.

This was shot with a very simple setup: two flashes, wth the camera + 85/1.8 on a tripod. One flash is directly behind me, shooting against a cream colored wall at full power to blow out the background. The other flash was positioned on the other side of the room, directly at my left side, with the zoom set to 85mm so as to provide as hard a light as possible. I took a few test shots to get the exposure set properly and to figure out where to position myself, and then took a few shots. This was my favourite.
TheBigOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #118
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 60523190

Congrats on the completion. I am just a little over 2 months in and really enjoying it soo far.

52 weeks completed "completed"
pete's-try-at-a-365 "Completed"
P & A Photos Flickr
P & A Photos Photobucket
I live in the Land of the Free because of the Brave!
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #119
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

Cool selfy. Congrats on completing.
Old 01-31-2012   #120
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 83089142

Way to Go!! Congrats!!

Nikon D7K
2 Nikon D80's
Olympus C5050Z P/S
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II
Kenco 1.4 Teleplus Pro 300 DGX
Nikon 105mm Micro 1:4 AI
Nikon 60mm Micro F:2.8 D AF-S
Nikon AF 28-80mm 1:3 3.5-5.6 G
Nikon 55-200mm F:4-5.6 G VR DX AF-S ED

georgepats-daily-diary-digital-delight-2014-a.html

georgepats-daily-diary-digital-delight.html

spiders-spiders-more-spiders.html
Georgepat is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 365 Projects - Photo A Day »

Share this topic: