Do you photograph something everyday? - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 365 Projects - Photo A Day

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011   #31
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1435
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Do you photograph something everyday?

I have no choice but to try to photograph something every day. I really want to learn, and as a result, I get behind the shutter as often as possible. After the kids go to bed, on the weekends, through the window at work, you name it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12step View Post
This time of the year is the worst time for me. It's usually below 20 degrees, always cloudy, and I struggle to find much to shoot indoors.
I thought like this too, and figured it was just too cold to go out and shoot. Luckily I have friends that are much less wimpy than I am, and they forced me to go out and do a little urban exploring.
Ever since I came home with this image, (behind a frozen waterfall)

I have had no trouble finding a reason to go out in the cold and shoot. Keep in mind, I live in the city, which is why I thought there wasn't anything worth shooting. My thoughs were "Nothing but dirty snow and leaves out there"

I have also learned that dirty snow, in many cases can make for really neat images.

Also, I have been finding an awful lot of things to photograph indoors. (Sometimes it is too cold to go out. Lately it has been around th -35f mark, sans windchill.) Although it sounds rather cliche, I have spent a lot of time with water drops. It's free, easy to set up, and teaches you a lot about DOF, focus and exposure. (click on thumbnails for full sized if you would like)

I have also spent a lot of time with Stop motion photography using off camera flash. There are all sorts of great images to be had with nothing much more than a camera, a strobe, a mouse trap, a pellet gun and some eggs.

Sorry about the long, pic heavy response, but others have inspired me to get photographing with posts like this, I hope to pass the favor to others. I realize that my images are nowhere near pro quality, but the amount I have learned in the last few months just by doing is staggering. I learn something every time I get the camera out.
Old 01-26-2011   #32
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 448

Since i got instagram on my iphone, I try to.
stuck inside all day makes a subject difficult to find, so I make irrelevant pictures from odd bits of paper and so on
youcan follow my madness here
Canon fodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #33
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6288727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Lily View Post
Look, Miranda! LOL I just got this and am going to try to do something every day with it, just for fun. I, Danbeaux Just something silly, but I can already feel brain cells working that haven't been busy for a while.
How darn cute is THAT!!! I want one, or something like that... How cool!!!!
graphicography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #34
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6288727

Quote:
Originally Posted by stradawhovious View Post
I have no choice but to try to photograph something every day. I really want to learn, and as a result, I get behind the shutter as often as possible. After the kids go to bed, on the weekends, through the window at work, you name it.

Sorry about the long, pic heavy response, but others have inspired me to get photographing with posts like this, I hope to pass the favor to others. I realize that my images are nowhere near pro quality, but the amount I have learned in the last few months just by doing is staggering. I learn something every time I get the camera out.
Great pictures and explanation strada!
graphicography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #35
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1616509

Sis, that little guy in your new blog is sooo cute. I am definitely going to be following him through your blog! I've always loved your pictures...and, this thread has inspired me to try and do 'A picture A Day' as I literally take...anywhere from 10 to 100 pictures every day. I have an almost unhealthy obsession with my Nikon.
Old 01-26-2011   #36
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post
Haven't taken anything in over a month, other than a throwaway to pull up my current shutter count.
Started a 365 project, but let it go after about two weeks. The one I was involved with turned into a massive, very mean, critique group. That experience alone has soured me somewhat.
I also live in a very un-photogenic part of the country. At least it is for the moment. Dirty snow and leafless trees. Oh Boy!!
Perhaps you should consider trying another photographic genre for the time being, such as portraits or extreme closeups. Most of us have collections of some kind around the house. My wife, for example, has dolls. If it is your own collection, even better because you already have an intrinsic interest in the subject.

It need not be a formal collection. If you are a mechanic, for example, you might try pretending that you are making a product shot of the contents of your toolbox. Perhaps you or your significant other likes to cook. Try something photographic with the ingredients, tools, or final presented product. Try something with the medicine or vanity chest.

Or, if you have some dolls or, better yet, life-sized mannequins around the house, you might borrow one of them to practice your formal portraiture on, to see how different lighting or backgrounds look.

Or you can pretend that you are selling your home and would like to create a portfolio of shots to present online to prospective customers. Some people live in areas where snow is rare to nonexistent locally. Me, for example. What you may find boring or depressing is something they may find - well, maybe not exotic, but different. To use an analogy from the musical The King and I, consider the princess who was so unfamiliar with ice and snow saw fit to explain it in her adaptation of Uncle Tom's Cabin to a group of visiting dignitaries from England. Of course, you know a lot about living in ice and snow, but how would you present the good parts of it to someone like this princess? Give it the fantasy treatment if you like. Or flip the project around emotionally and make your area seem so dreary that a WWII-style prisoner-of-war camp would look like the Hilton in comparison. Or give it the film noir treatment. Change things up and go out at night. There's a lot you can do, even at this time of year.

Do you feel your creative juices flowing yet?
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #37
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2152373
Editing OK?: No

If I'm not shooting I'm sitting in front of my computer processing pictures or trying to learn something new. I shoot a lot but not everyday.
ChuckingFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #38
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 527
Editing OK?: Ask first

I find myself taking shots VERY often, but it's most commonly with my iPhone. For a phone it takes AMAZING pictures... (for a phone) Usually they're of my 4 month old son.

I plan to get a bit more artsy with them when I get my DSLR (tonight) but I have a LOT of hobbies so it won't be like most of you do. I'm DANG impressed with what I see here.

Chris
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #39
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 15515

I've never made it a piont to shoot every day but shoot something nearly every day. My latest project was to rearn about shaping bokeh wich went well but my camera is still on the tripod. Better take it out wile we have a nice day.
Gene
Gene243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #40
OSD
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 267032

I did a 365 project last year. I missed two days, one in Feb and one in May, but that's it. I expected to be struggling by the end of the year but that didn't happen. Instead I found that I got a lot of pleasure at looking back over the year and a sense of excitement for what would happen if I continued it in 2011. So I am.

My goal last year was to build the habit of using my camera regularly. I gave myself no pressure as far as quality or subject - I used my phone and my dslr and my point-and-shoot - the only requirement was to take at least one photo every day.

And you know what? I got a lot better over the course of the year.

I'm getting one of those photobooks done with one photo from each day so that I can flip back through the year whenever I want to.

(C&C is ALWAYS appreciated. Please!)
The website
OSD is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 365 Projects - Photo A Day »

Share this topic: