PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2008   #1
Vicuna

lastingimages has a spectacular aura aboutlastingimages has a spectacular aura about
CamelKarma: 131
Default Wedding Photography Workshops

Has ayone attended a workshop that they felt really made a difference in the quality of their wedding photos? I'd love to attend a workshop that allows practice with bride/groom models, and would help me develop a modern style (versus the traditional portraits). Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

Natalie

Old 06-24-2008   #2
Camel Breath

Steven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 987485
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Wedding Photography Workshops

I can't tell you anything about siminars on photography. I've attened a few and enjoyed them but they did not change the person inside me. I have been to motoviational seminars and gotten "pumped up" but the rush didn't last. You either have it or you don't. Doing what someone else does only makes you a lesser them. Not to discount the value of any education but a monkey-see monkey-do really doesn't do much for promoting your own ideas. I'm sure somone will offer the latest and greatest wedding photographers seiminar. I'll offer you something different. Take the foundation you already have, the head knowledge about taking pictures and adapt something different as you go. Continue doing what you do well, but add a twist here and there. Get back to the results, and critique. Delete or trash negatives of what doesn't and exploit what does. No body can tell you how to be you much less a better you.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #3
Vicuna

lastingimages has a spectacular aura aboutlastingimages has a spectacular aura about

That is great advice and I'll put it practice. I see such wonderful shots that people have taken, but just don't have an extra bride and groom standing around for me to play with! However, I do have a wedding to photograph August 8 (free) that I should be able to try some extra shots; and then I also have one on August 16th (paying customer) that will give me another opportunity.

I may even post a few of the photos for everyone to critique! I do learn a ton from the participants on photocamel and realy appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions. Thanks!

Natalie
lastingimages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #4
Photocamel Master

Lee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 13097
Editing OK?: No

I don't think photography workshops will make you a lesser them. You'll learn what you learn, keep what you like, discard the rest and get on with your life. If you have any talent your own style will begin to come through no matter how many photographers you emulate in the process of learning.

I'm no great photographer but I'm a fair musician and part of the process of learning is to 'try on' as many styles as you can. After that your own style and talent will morph everything you learned from others into something uniquely yours. Hopefully.

Project4145

Lee4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

mcbit strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormcbit strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormcbit strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormcbit strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormcbit strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormcbit strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormcbit strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormcbit strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormcbit strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormcbit strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormcbit strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 997586
Editing OK?: Ask first

I agree with you Lee education teaches you how to learn and hopefully opens your mind. If we only learned the material we were taught then none of us would be as smart as our teachers.

'Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.'
Ansell Adams

My SmugMug Piccies
My PBase Snaps
mcbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #6
F1 Camel

Inked Photography has a brilliant futureInked Photography has a brilliant futureInked Photography has a brilliant futureInked Photography has a brilliant futureInked Photography has a brilliant futureInked Photography has a brilliant futureInked Photography has a brilliant futureInked Photography has a brilliant futureInked Photography has a brilliant futureInked Photography has a brilliant futureInked Photography has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 19166

I don't really care for certain types of workshops. Weddings are one of them. Sure you might get ideas and even get some great images done at the work shop. But you cannot simulate the chaos of a wedding day. Each one is different. From the Mother-In-Law to the Wedding Planner. Dealing with people cannot be taught at a workshop. The Bride and Groom won't be as relaxed compared to a work shop. Just take what you know and do the best you can.

Weapon of choice: Sony Alpha 200
Lense:
Sony 18-70mm
Sony 50mm
Sigma 55-200mm

www.myspace.com/tilltheybleed
www.facebook.com/ernie.bustamante
Inked Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #7
Lubbock, Tx.

Mark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 167669

Your only going to get out of a seminar what you put into it.

I travel quite extensively, attending photographic conventions and seminars as a speaker or print judge.

I always stick around to hear the other speakers.

I have attended literally hundreds of seminars, and I can tell you that practically everything I know, I've learned from photographers at seminars, or photographic schools.

I studied with David Thompkins from New Orleans at Texas A&M who taught me off camera lighting at my weddings. It made a HUGE impact on me. I owe that man every dime I made over and above what I was charging at the time.

I've studied with Kevin Kubota many times in the past...Tampa Fl, College Station Tx, Las Vegas. He's a genius at workflow. I've been able to shave HOURS off my workflow after studying with him.

I've studied with Larry Peters, the senior guru from Columbus Ohio in Dallas, Las Vegas (3 times). I've now used his background gel technique for years.

I will never stop attending seminars. I get something from every one, not because of the speaker, but because of my willingness to open up, listen and apply proven techniques from the Masters of the business.

I once had an assistant that asked me..."How long does it take to learn everything about photography".
I laughed before I answered. "You never learn it all".
Old 06-25-2008   #8
Bactrian

Location: That thin line between teaching middle schoolers to sing, and sanity...
PetersenPhotography is a splendid one to beholdPetersenPhotography is a splendid one to beholdPetersenPhotography is a splendid one to beholdPetersenPhotography is a splendid one to beholdPetersenPhotography is a splendid one to beholdPetersenPhotography is a splendid one to beholdPetersenPhotography is a splendid one to beholdPetersenPhotography is a splendid one to beholdPetersenPhotography is a splendid one to beholdPetersenPhotography is a splendid one to beholdPetersenPhotography is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 5886

I can echo Mark's comments about attending seminars - although mine would be music teacher conferences, etc. I learn so much from them, and even the ones where I don't learn as much as others, I come back to the job refreshed and re-energized remembering why I got into teaching in the first place (after dealing with all of the crap that teachers have to deal with), and having networked with other colleagues in the field.

I would assume the same thing would be true at photographic seminars/conventions. If nothing else, having the time to refocus on your goals/objectives after having them scrambled by the demands of "the job" is priceless.

"...God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son"
- 1 John 5:11

http://www.petersen-photo.com
PetersenPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #9
Photocamel Master

brian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

What Mark and Lee said.

I approach every class and seminar with an open mind. As Lee pointed out, keep what you like and shelve the rest. I actually started my portfolio with models from the first Phoenix SuperShoots. It gave me an opportunity to learn from pros, get comfortable shooting in a strange environment, and concentrate on learning rather than interacting as a photographer/client.

Check out PPA and WPPI for more leads.
Old 06-27-2008   #10
Vicuna

Thanks for everyone's comments. I am going to try out an online workshop with Adorama....hoping the assignments will present some challenges and creating thinking with respect to my shots. We'll see. If it's not useful, I'm only down $195 and no travel costs.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: