Need a new camera...
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2018   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 105
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Need a new camera...

I've pretty much given up now on the 5DSr. No matter what I do I struggle to get a sharp image even using speeds of 1000th and above. The cameras has been tested as have lenses and I've been told there's nothing wrong, but the only time I get a sharp image is in very bright conditions.

So, for weddings and landscapes it's utterly useless as you can't always guarantee great light. I've been told this is down to the size of the sensor and the normal stuff i do would be better done on a crop sensor.

So, does anyone think crop sensors are better for sharp images when the light is not perfect, and if so are there any Canon's you'd recommend?

Canon 5D, Canon 5DSr, Canon 16-35 mm f/4 L USM EF, Canon 24-105 f/4.0 L USM IS EF, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L MK II USM IS EF, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM EF macro, Canon 2x Mk III converter, Canon 580 EX II flash, Yonghuo 568EX II flash, Sigma EM-140 DG EO-ETTL Macro Flash, Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 tripod with MHXPRO-BHQ2 ballhead. Manfrotto 790B Monopod.
boristhemoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Need a new camera...

Crop sensors better for sharp images? Well, no. I don't agree with that. I think sharp comes from technique, no camera movement, great glass, proper post processing and maybe Lower ISO the better. Not sure how bright light comes in to play other than to keep the ISO low, which helps the image.

If the 5DSr (whatever the r is) is not getting you sharp images, and it isn't the lens (didn't say which, but some in your signature ought to be sharp), then I'd look elsewhere because something else is wrong. Oh, and don't view at 400% either because everything stinks at that.

I'd toss a couple samples up so we can see what you see.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 9832647

This is a 50 mp body. Everything is going to have to be almost perfect. I remember when I went from 10 mp to 18 mp I was really disappointed. Had to work on technique a lot. Some samples would be good.
Canon T3i
Misc. Canon Lenses
Sigma 150-600mm C
Sigma 100-400mm C
Samyang 8mm Fisheye
greenjeans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018   #4
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
Crop sensors better for sharp images? Well, no. I don't agree with that. I think sharp comes from technique, no camera movement, great glass, proper post processing and maybe Lower ISO the better. Not sure how bright light comes in to play other than to keep the ISO low, which helps the image.

If the 5DSr (whatever the r is) is not getting you sharp images, and it isn't the lens (didn't say which, but some in your signature ought to be sharp), then I'd look elsewhere because something else is wrong. Oh, and don't view at 400% either because everything stinks at that.

I'd toss a couple samples up so we can see what you see.
The 'r' simply means that unlike the 5Ds which has an optical low-pass filter, the r version's filter is self cancelling which in theory makes it slightly sharper.
It's not any of the lenses, as the occasional shots in perfect conditions show that even the Tamron is absolutely razor sharp.
The most I ever view is 100% however, even if a photo is viewed at 20% you can just see if it is sharp or if it is ever so slightly unsharp. My friends on Facebook who are using decent phones and small compacts are consistently getting way sharper pictures than I do.
I'll post some shots for you to see.
Canon 5D, Canon 5DSr, Canon 16-35 mm f/4 L USM EF, Canon 24-105 f/4.0 L USM IS EF, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L MK II USM IS EF, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM EF macro, Canon 2x Mk III converter, Canon 580 EX II flash, Yonghuo 568EX II flash, Sigma EM-140 DG EO-ETTL Macro Flash, Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 tripod with MHXPRO-BHQ2 ballhead. Manfrotto 790B Monopod.
Old 02-04-2018   #5
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeans View Post
This is a 50 mp body. Everything is going to have to be almost perfect. I remember when I went from 10 mp to 18 mp I was really disappointed. Had to work on technique a lot. Some samples would be good.
What technique did you work on? I have altered my stance if not on a tripod, and often I grip my right shoulder with my left hand and and use the left elbow that is now in front of my face to rest the camera. This is a rock solid position only bettered by leaning against a tree if one is handy. Results are pretty much consistent no matter what I do.

I'll add some shots.
Old 02-04-2018   #6
Llama

This is a crop of a larger picture. The crop is full size if you know what I mean. The editing details from Lightroom are:
deer: 1/200th at f9, 61mm/24-70 lens, iso100. 25 sharpness, 1 radius, 25 detail, 0 masking, 25 colour NR.
Old 02-04-2018   #7
Llama

This one is also full size crop,
door: 1/500th at f9, 35mm/24-70 lens, iso100. 31 sharpness, 1 radius, 25 detail, 15 masking, 25 colour NR.

You'd expect with those settings for it to be razor sharp. No wind that day, I was calm and rock solid in my stance, the camera cradled as I explained earlier. If I'd put a flash unit on I may have got a sharp image then but I can't perfectly light and expose every single shot in all circumstances.

I think perhaps for studio work where all parameters are controlled precisely it may be fine. But for general work it simply isn't any good at all.
Old 02-04-2018   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

Have you looked at jpeg's direct from the camera, to take processing out of the equation?
Hanginon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383

f/9 would be on the verge of diffraction limitation on cameras using fine grain film and perhaps also on the 5DS. Try shooting a three-dimension subject with fine detail at all apertures and several focal lengths. This should reveal any diffraction limitation and focus errors.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018   #10
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
f/9 would be on the verge of diffraction limitation on cameras using fine grain film and perhaps also on the 5DS. Try shooting a three-dimension subject with fine detail at all apertures and several focal lengths. This should reveal any diffraction limitation and focus errors.
If the camera can't focus at f9 then it's patently useless. I understand about diffraction and it can affect some images, but if you use a lower f-stop then some of the subject is blurred anyway because it's not in dof so there's no win.
This is for landscapes mostly so deep focus is a thing I'm going to do pretty regularly and even using hyper focal distance f7 isn't going to do much for me at some focal lengths.
Is no-one else having this problem?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: