Need a new camera... - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2018   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 105
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Need a new camera...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanginon View Post
Have you looked at jpeg's direct from the camera, to take processing out of the equation?
Yeah they're pretty much the same tbh, very little difference usually to raw/processed
Canon 5D, Canon 5DSr, Canon 16-35 mm f/4 L USM EF, Canon 24-105 f/4.0 L USM IS EF, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L MK II USM IS EF, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM EF macro, Canon 2x Mk III converter, Canon 580 EX II flash, Yonghuo 568EX II flash, Sigma EM-140 DG EO-ETTL Macro Flash, Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 tripod with MHXPRO-BHQ2 ballhead. Manfrotto 790B Monopod.
boristhemoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018   #12
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2193768
Editing OK?: Ask First

This may not relate, but since I've been scanning medium and large format negatives over the last few years I've noticed they can take a lot more sharpening in post.

Try this, reduce the size in PS with the "Bicubic for Reduction" setting by 20-30% or so. Then apply an edge mask, view the image at 100% and use unsharp mask with a radius of around 2 increasing amount until you see halos (100-200 range), then back down some.

If it works set it up as a macro that pauses so you can adjust the USM individually.

As far as trading cameras, if I was building a wedding kit I'd look seriously at the Fuji mirror-less cameras, Fuji's DSLRs always made outstanding jpegs from the camera, this line has some very impressive fast lenses, and you could buy two or more for the price of a high end DSLR.

Get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, two bodies, one fast prime, one zoom, two remote radio triggers and go to town.
alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018   #13
Llama

CamelKarma: 105
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbutler57 View Post
This may not relate, but since I've been scanning medium and large format negatives over the last few years I've noticed they can take a lot more sharpening in post.

Try this, reduce the size in PS with the "Bicubic for Reduction" setting by 20-30% or so. Then apply an edge mask, view the image at 100% and use unsharp mask with a radius of around 2 increasing amount until you see halos (100-200 range), then back down some.

If it works set it up as a macro that pauses so you can adjust the USM individually.

As far as trading cameras, if I was building a wedding kit I'd look seriously at the Fuji mirror-less cameras, Fuji's DSLRs always made outstanding jpegs from the camera, this line has some very impressive fast lenses, and you could buy two or more for the price of a high end DSLR.

Get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, two bodies, one fast prime, one zoom, two remote radio triggers and go to town.
Cheers Alan, I'm going to try that PS technique and see what happens. I am also considering a 5D4, there's so many people in Canon forums having the same issues as me and those issues don't exist with the 5D4 apparently.

Canon 5D, Canon 5DSr, Canon 16-35 mm f/4 L USM EF, Canon 24-105 f/4.0 L USM IS EF, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L MK II USM IS EF, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM EF macro, Canon 2x Mk III converter, Canon 580 EX II flash, Yonghuo 568EX II flash, Sigma EM-140 DG EO-ETTL Macro Flash, Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 tripod with MHXPRO-BHQ2 ballhead. Manfrotto 790B Monopod.
boristhemoggy is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: