First Wedding - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2017   #11
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 309052
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: First Wedding

So, take my feedback with a grain of salt. I have never shot a wedding, nor done any type of portrait work. I'm just a pure hobbyist.

With that said, my son's wedding was photographed by a family friend for free and they had camera issues. I offered to process the images and was able to salvage most of them that the malfunctioning camera took (bad color/too dark). Luckily the photographer's wife was there (they were parents of the best man) and she had a Point & Shoot that took decent colored/lighting shots.

As I was processing the picture, i became pretty fast and identifying "bad shots". Wrong focus, port subject placement. Most of these could be fixed with cropping and some cloning to move objects around the framing.

I'm a frequent Camel re-reader. I see somehting and I try to find a guide/stickied post here to help me learn, so I've picked up a few things here and there.

Your pictures are nice. The mis-focus on the flowers over the eyes did not jump out at me, but I should be wearing my glasses more at the computer. One thing that did jump out at me is the composition of the bride's picture. With such a close crop of her (i'd say too close, cuts off her hair at the top), the flowers do dominate the frame. Its not the sharpness of it, just the colors and I found myself darting between the bouquet and the one in the background. I think they would be better off not in the middle of the picture. They cover up the brides torso nearly completely and we cannot see the details of the dress and they muddle slightly her necklace.

You only shared 2, so maybe there is one where she has a smaller bouquet and it doesn't dominate as much.

I always hear/read that the wedding is all about the bride. The groom will look back 20-40 years and smile, but the bride and bride's mom will want as many pictures showing off the bride on "her day". Get the hair, the dress (front/back/sides), the physique, the emotion. Her smile looks a little forced, but I could be dead wrong.

The little girl picture is priceless...but I found myself wondering what that brown stick in the back was..is it a knob? A release for some curtains, part of the gazebo? If these were spontaneous shot taken after the ceremony, you can't really control it. But if these were planned shots, then the background needs to selected for a reason to keep the focus on the subject and used to just enhance the image..not take my focus off the subject.

So, that is my $.02 of pure amateur observations. And if you have more grandsons, figure out a why to avoid being the photographer for them. You should be part of the ceremony and on the other side of the camera.
Chuck462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12
Llama

CamelKarma: 1209634

Bill, Your profile says you're OK with editing so I took the liberty of tweaking one of your original photos. I'm far from an editing expert but with a few clicks of the mouse I think I made the photo a little better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ali_1 (Small).jpg (340.2 KB, 27 views)

https://twitter.com/RSweetenImages

https://www.facebook.com/ricksweetenimages
Nikon Gear

For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
nohoneythatsnotanewlens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 618690

I like these. They are better than some of the "pro's" I have seen out of Nashville.

My monitors show a yellow but I believe the dress is an off white. I base that on the white column behind her which no one has mentioned. The photo could be straightenend a bit without any problem with the bride I believe.

Also don't think anyone mentioned that these two photo are a bit tight in the crop at the top.

I bet they are happy with it!
Promapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14
Llama

CamelKarma: 1087758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promapper View Post
I like these. They are better than some of the "pro's" I have seen out of Nashville.

My monitors show a yellow but I believe the dress is an off white. I base that on the white column behind her which no one has mentioned. The photo could be straightenend a bit without any problem with the bride I believe.

Also don't think anyone mentioned that these two photo are a bit tight in the crop at the top.

Thanks for looking and your positive feedback is encouraging. I learned lotdoing this project.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142328965@N07/

http://rv.billdiana.com/
DigiBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
Llama

CamelKarma: 2560228
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promapper View Post

I'd say too tight overall. Space at the top of her head, and include all of her fingers at the bottom as well as all the bouquet to the right. Then move in closer for a head and shoulders composition choosing the bottom line just above the sunflower in the bouquet. At least you have sought advice, and agree what you have achieved is much better than some I've seen from the "have camera so I'm a wedding photographer" brigade

kennethwfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #16
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 571628
Editing OK?: No

I see several things here in image one. the lighting a rather flat, the body is not turned at a 45 degree angle and the flowers should not obstruct the view of the bust. Holding them this high allows the eyes to see how she is holding the bouquet, that of a baseball bat! Either hold the flowers higher and crop out the hands, or hold them in the "fig leaf department" and make the shot a 3/4 or full length image. LOVE # 2.

Benji
In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. Prov 28:23
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #17
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterKlick View Post
Looks like a fine effort for sure! Post more please?

The face looks fine to me but I need new glasses. If the flowers are more sharp than the subject's face.. allow me to suggest. I normally run my camera on spot focus, automatic focus is set to "single press".. so for that subject, if it were me shooting it... I'd move the focusing rectangle to the face and half press for focus.. then re-position the camera to get the framing I want, THEN press the rest of the way to take the picture. This is how I shoot 99.9% of my images, and the intended part to be in focus is... well... always in focus.

You can widen your DOF with a moderate F stop, say 7 or 11. Then at that distance, the face and the flowers will both be in focus, with the background out of focus.

Im looking at your flkr, many of them look really good... many look like they could use some help from a fill flash.

Thanks for posting!
Andrew

Thanks Andrew for looking and taking the time to give feedback. Much appreciated.

Old 4 Days Ago   #18
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji View Post
I see several things here in image one. the lighting a rather flat, the body is not turned at a 45 degree angle and the flowers should not obstruct the view of the bust. Holding them this high allows the eyes to see how she is holding the bouquet, that of a baseball bat! Either hold the flowers higher and crop out the hands, or hold them in the "fig leaf department" and make the shot a 3/4 or full length image. LOVE # 2.

Benji

Thanks Benji for the advice.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: