Wedding photographer gets into trouble
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2017   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1003042
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Wedding photographer gets into trouble

Did you see this article (below) in the news? A couple successfully sued their photographer for the terrible photos he took of their wedding.

I guess the moral is: don’t offer to take someone's wedding photos until you're sure you can do it properly.

See some of the bad photos here: Newlyweds win court battle with £1,500 wedding photographer after shoddy pictures include missing heads and car close-ups | Daily Mail Online

This happened I believe in 2009 but still apt today.

Enjoying the sea and sun in Miami

Olympus OMD EM-1, EPL1, standard kit lens, 17mm 1.8, 60mm macro, 75-300mm II, 45mm 1.8, Rokinon 7.5mm Fish Eye, lens cap lens, ec-14, Fl-36 flash, adapter, misc accessories.

Last edited by mike C; 03-13-2017 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: additional info
mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 485337
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Wedding photographer gets into trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike C View Post
Did you see this article (below) in the news? A couple successfully sued their photographer for the terrible photos he took of their wedding.

I guess the moral is: donít offer to take someone's wedding photos until you're sure you can do it properly.

See some of the bad photos here: Newlyweds win court battle with £1,500 wedding photographer after shoddy pictures include missing heads and car close-ups | Daily Mail Online

This happened I believe in 2009 but still apt today.
They reviewed eleven photographers and he was the best. How bad was the work of the others?
Old 03-13-2017   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6964240
Editing OK?: Ask First

A lot of stupid people around. I'd like to see why they chose them. had to be a basket of stolen images in the portfolio. Or there were a lot of lies in this. Or both. But hey, McDonalds can get sued for selling hot coffee that is, well, hot. So who knows.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 18915

So sad. For the couple and for photographers!
Cameron V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 2275060
Editing OK?: Ask first

Sadly, this happens all the time, the only difference is that this person joined an association (thankfully they expelled him, I was talking only yesterday to a member of staff of another photography society who refused membership to someone else because his photos were so awful and just wanted to put their logo on his site) and charged the going rate for a pro.

Normally it is Jane Doe, college graduate, hey, she's got a camera, so she's a wedding photographer. Out of business within a year, but along come others to take her place...

One of this country's leading organisations is the British Institute of Professional Photographers (BIPP) who have produces this excellent guide

http://www.bipp.com/Portals/0/PDF/BI...GuideV2web.pdf

I especially recommend page 7. Membership is by submitting a panel, along with a copy of your indemnity insurance and evidence that your are making a living from photography. If your work is of the required standard, you will be accepted as a provisional member and mentored until the society is satisfied to grant you full member status. If only all prospective brides would thoroughly vet a wedding photographer regarding training/experience

It would appear this individual used photographs that he did not take himself

kennethwfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 3900921

As a retired wedding photographer, the mind boggles, Mike!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 105604

Glad I never had to go to court with a client, either. These stories are way too common. One of the reasons I retired, too.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 27704
Editing OK?: Yes

Well, the moment you accept a wedding job you're in trouble!
I suppose I have been lucky so far!! lol

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: