PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008   #21
Dromedary

tekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 12142
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: PS Technique For Checking Exposure (Portraits)

I got between 237 and 250, depending on which pixel I clicked on/hovered over (averaged at 244); and agree with the 9 in the shadows.
This is sort of my point, he took a very general guideline, and tried to make a hard and fast rule out of it. It doesn't work.

Fritz

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Wedding and Portrait Photography
tekdiver500ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #22
F1 Camel

Eero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 8600280

Is it possible that the image Benji posted is converted to sRGB for web and hence does not contain the same amount of data as in a RAW or larger gamut photo?

Eero Makela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008   #23
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Guanaco

Montec strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMontec strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMontec strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMontec strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMontec strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMontec strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMontec strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMontec strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMontec strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMontec strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMontec strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 777477
Editing OK?: Yes

I get mid 240's to 249 in your sample circle doing your test.

The rest of the face reads in the 220's or lower, does this mean it is under exposed?

I have a few images that I just shot that are high 240's into the 250 range but the skin looks fine with no loss of detail. Can a monitor's calibration have an influence on the readings?
Old 11-07-2008   #24
F1 Camel

Eero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

9 and 251 is what I get as the lowest and highest. I don't think it has to do with the monitor calibration at all as the picture data will be the same and not related to the output.

Old 11-07-2008   #25
Photocamel Master

Benji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 571490
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft View Post
In a multiperson shot, then, whose skin do you use? It is extremely improbable that everyone will have the same tonality to their skin, even if they are in the same family. There will be a variety of tonalities, even in a perfectly exposed portrait. Unless, of course, you like incredibly flat lighting.
In the multi person shot below where the guy is of English descent and the gal is of Mexican descent I got a 240 reading on the brightest highlight on her cheek and a 240 reading on the brightest highlight on his forehead. Is there a difference in tonality of the two skins in this image? Yup. He is lighter and she is darker. Is there a difference in tonality of the skin in real life of these two people? Yup, he is lighter and she is darker.

Benji
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 240x2.jpg (152.0 KB, 577 views)
In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. Prov 28:23
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008   #26
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji View Post
In the multi person shot below where the guy is of English descent and the gal is of Mexican descent I got a 240 reading on the brightest highlight on her cheek and a 240 reading on the brightest highlight on his forehead. Is there a difference in tonality of the two skins in this image? Yup. He is lighter and she is darker. Is there a difference in tonality of the skin in real life of these two people? Yup, he is lighter and she is darker.

Benji
Cool it works, I will for sure use this as a picture test.

Old 11-07-2008   #27
Dromedary

tekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud oftekdiver500ft has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 12142

Then you ARE talking about keeping detail in the specular highlights, even though you specifically state that it is in the diffused highlight area. Those are totally different subjects. I still don't fully agree that you can say, "well, 240 is the right number, end of story," as there is often no specularity in an image, so you can't say that if there are no specular highlights (in which case the brightest area of skin would not be 240), then the image is underexposed. It also isn't true that if you have areas of shadow without detail then the image is underexposed. Many of the most powerful images have vast areas of no detail, just pure black. As long as the primary skin tones fall in the correct range, the image is properly exposed.

Fritz

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Wedding and Portrait Photography
tekdiver500ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008   #28
Photocamel Master

Benji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

My lab says that if I want images that will print up beautifully to send them images that have 240 in the "R" reading in the brightest diffused highlight on the face, and with blacks in the 32 range. I send them in this way, I get 'em back looking absolutely beautiful. You can do it anyway you want.

Ben
Old 11-07-2008   #29
Bactrian

Not4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 3876

To me, you're combining the old Densitometry and making an updated usage of the Zone System as well by shifting and keeping the lightness and darkness within an acceptable range that the Lab's printer can handle and therefore getting superior results in the end product. Works for me, now if I can get this to work I'd be as happy as a clam.

Benji, thank you for the explanation that I can understand.

Nikon D700
Nikon D80 w/Kit 18-135
Nikon 70-300 VR f:4.5-5.6
Nikon 60mm f:2.8 Macro
Sigma 24-70 f:2.8 DG DF Aspherical
Old Vivitar 283, Nikon SB900
Manfrotto Tripod 055XB w/Manfrotto 486 RC2 Ball Head
Not4wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008   #30
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not4wood View Post
To me, you're combining the old Densitometry and making an updated usage of the Zone System as well by shifting and keeping the lightness and darkness within an acceptable range that the Lab's printer can handle and therefore getting superior results in the end product. Works for me, now if I can get this to work I'd be as happy as a clam.

Benji, thank you for the explanation that I can understand.
Mark,

You are welcome, and you are exactly correct in your observation of what I am doing. If I expect people to pay $95.00 for an 8 x 10 I had better be able to deliver an 8 x 10 that looks like it is WORTH $95.00! My lab's method described above does it for me and it can for anyone who wants to try it.

Ben

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Tutorials »

Share this topic: