Home Made Softbox - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007   #11
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1131
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Home Made Softbox

Now I'd be curious what your readings would be from a large high end softbox.
taygull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #12
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 571628
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygull View Post
Now I'd be curious what your readings would be from a large high end softbox.
The largest soft box I have is a Bowens which measures 36 inches square. I performed the identical test but held the meter 6 inches from the top, dead center and 6 inches from the bottom. All readings were F 9.0. This was with a single layer of fabric just like the other.

Ben
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007   #13
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045
Editing OK?: Yes

Very interesting Benji! Thanks for sharing the info and pics. I'm on a very limited budget these days and I'm considering trying something like this. I was thinking about 2' X 4' though. DO you think an Alien Bee 800 would work in a set-up like this??

Thanks again,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007   #14
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 571628
Editing OK?: No

Jason,

A 24 x 48 is more of a strip light. Most of the 24 inch wide softboxes are 32 long. Have you ebayed softboxes lately? There are some real bargains there. Here is one. Photogenic Medium Silver HalfDome 55x24" SoftBox - New - (eBay item 280185304793 end time Dec-25-07 18:05:00 PST)

My next project is (interestingly enough) a 24 x 48 inch strip light for a hair light in large group portraiture. I may add it to this thread when I get it done.

benji
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #15
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first

Thank you for this thread with the pictures. I have been hunting over the internet the past few days looking for plans to a homemade softbox. This seems to fill the bill. Easy to make and inexpensive. I got hot to make this after attending a seminar where the Spiderlights were featured. After the seminar I went up to the platform and examined them closely. My thought was that i could make one cheaper than the $2500 they were asking for them. A quick check at my local Lowes and I found I could buy the daylight balanced flouresent twist bulbs in the 100 watt sizes but I was thrilled when I found the twist bulbs in a 300 watt size. I tried a single bulb into an umbrella and after a custom white balance was amazed at the quality of light. Couldn't get better than 2.8 at ISO 400 though so I'm going to try two and three bulbs. It's gonna be interesting to see what happens.
Gilkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #16
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilkar View Post
Couldn't get better than 2.8 at ISO 400 though so I'm going to try two and three bulbs. It's gonna be interesting to see what happens.
It's easy to guess what happens. With everything else kept the same, adding a second bulb will net you one more stop of light. Three bulbs would be 1.5 stops more light than one bulb.

And that's the problem with dim fluorescent bulbs and continuous light in general. For each additional stop of light you have to double the wattage or number pf fixtures.

Want three stops more light than a single bulb..you'll need eight bulbs. Another stop of light..ad 8 more for a total a total of 16 bulbs...

It gets out of hand very quickly.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #17
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first

Brooks:
I see what you mean. The spider light uses five bulbs. I saw a rig in my local camera store that held twelve bulbs. I still like the get what you see idea though so I'm gonna still fool around with it.
Gilkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #18
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm324 View Post
Very interesting Benji! Thanks for sharing the info and pics. I'm on a very limited budget these days and I'm considering trying something like this. I was thinking about 2' X 4' though. DO you think an Alien Bee 800 would work in a set-up like this??

Thanks again,
Jay

I've got a 30X60" softbox from AB, and use it with a AB800. It puts out some serious light. I dont have a meter yet to test it, but it is bright.

http://www.kevinfair.com
WooD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008   #19
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 45802

Man, you rock. Thanks, Benji!
OdzBodkinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014   #20
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2900
Editing OK?: Yes

Great work, thanks for sharing!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials »

Share this topic: