Posing The Family of Four - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2007   #31
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 964890
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Posing The Family of Four

Harry,

Note that every person is turned at a 45 degree angle to the camera. Not even one person's shoulders are square on to the camera. The people who are standing have all their weight on the rear hip/foot and there are no huge differences in the heights of the faces. By seating Mom on the rock it gives some differentness to the pose instead of everyone just standing there. Note that Dad and his son are facing in toward the center of the image which keeps the viewer's eyes looking inside the pose rather than wandering outside the image.

Benji
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007   #32
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

Quote:
Note that every person is turned at a 45 degree angle to the camera.
This looks so "off" as you are posing people, but is so effective in the picture. It really is a rudimentary "must do" in portraits.
Old 11-09-2007   #33
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 151938
Editing OK?: Yes

Benji thanks, I have been studying all the shots in this thread. I have a week to get ready, it will be inside with mom, dad, 7 year old, 3 year old and 1 year old girls. Pray for me, I am sure I will need it. If I can get 3 out of 5 posed well I will be happy.

http://pbase.com/harrydavid
Amateur having fun! Feel free to edit any of my images.
harryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007   #34
Photocamel Master

Harry,

Study and pray because when the time comes and the family is standing there you'll forget everything you were supposed to do

I usually start with one person, the tallest (normally Dad) and pose him at a 45 degree angle to the camera. Then I add Mom close to him (they are after all in love) again at a 45 degree angle then the next tallest child (at 45 degrees) then the next etc. Make sure no two heads that are side by side are the same height and make sure no two heads are directly above/below another (stacking.) Don't crop at the joints. Don't stand Dad then seat everyone else on the floor as his head will be five feet above everyone elses and look really strange. All the heads should be within a reasonable distance from one another.

Benji
Old 11-09-2007   #35
Camel Breath

Quote:
Don't crop at the joints.
Let me verify this: you mean don't amputate a limb at the joint by placing another person in front, where an arm or leg is blocked off at the joint. Correct?
Old 11-10-2007   #36
Wes
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12
Editing OK?: Ask First

Benji, Thanks for the great tutotial and examples.

Wes
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007   #37
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
Let me verify this: you mean don't amputate a limb at the joint by placing another person in front, where an arm or leg is blocked off at the joint. Correct?
Usually it refers to single person portraits where you have a choice about where the sides and top and bottom of a photograph will end in relation to the joints of the subject. In group photography it can mean the same thing but one must realize that the person in front will block something of the subject behind them from the viewer.

Benji
Old 11-10-2007   #38
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji View Post
Usually it refers to single person portraits where you have a choice about where the sides and top and bottom of a photograph will end in relation to the joints of the subject. In group photography it can mean the same thing but one must realize that the person in front will block something of the subject behind them from the viewer.

Benji
Thanks my man, that was exactly what I wondering. In group photos, I sometimes have trouble with both cropping off at joints, but also subjects with three limbs. It certainly complicates things when there are more. I highly recommend moving through each of the posing rules you have with a patient subject. My eight year old is good for about 45 minutes
Old 11-28-2007   #39
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 18412
Editing OK?: Yes

Wow, these tutorials are just amazing, thank you so much for the time and effort put forth to create these!
joshranwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007   #40
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

will having the main light at this level and angle also take care of the glasses issue?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials »

Share this topic: