PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007   #21
Camel Breath

jfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Posing The Family of Four

Quote:
I would be careful about trees etc.
usually a baby step to the left or right fixes the tree/head syndrome, and doesn't change the perspective to any noticeable degree.
Old 11-06-2007   #22
Photocamel Master

Benji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 571490

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz View Post
Benji - Can you please provide some pointers as to the placement of the lights? For now I am only shooting h/s and 3/4 of single person but need to do family of 4. Placing my main on 45 deg angle put lot more light on the person closer to the main light. So I tried using only 1 light above my camera position. But then it didn't help as some family members were wearing glasses.
Bobby,

Place your fill light just above the camera at about 1 stop LESS than the main light aimed at the group. It should meter the same all the way across the scene. Set up your main light about 1/2 way between the camera and the group off to one side but aim it at the person furthest from it. That way it will skim light across everyone as it travels to the far side. It should be perfectly level (NOT aimed down toward the floor) and it should be about two feet to three feet or so above the groups faces. Meter it so it also gives you the same reading all the way across and one stop more than the fill light reading. Set the camera aperture at the main light reading. You may have to move the main light closer to the group and power it down, or you may have to back it away from the group and power it up. I suggest you feather it toward the camera so you are using just the edge of the light not the hot spot in the center of it. If you keep taking meter readings and keep adjusting and feathering the light eventually you will get the same reading all the way across the group. SHUT OFF the modeling lamp of the fill light and all other lights in the camera room so you can see EXACTLY what the main light is doing. If you have shadows on someone's face, move the main light until the shadow is gone. You may wind up with rather flat lighting, but better flat than big shadows across anyone's face.

Benji
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #23
Guanaco

bobbyz has a spectacular aura aboutbobbyz has a spectacular aura about
CamelKarma: 120

Thanks a lot Benji. I will try this again with my friend's family.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #24
Guanaco

One more followup if you don't mind. Where you say the main light should be level and about 2/3 feet above the gruop faces. If I am using a softbos for my main, would I just keep the center of the SB about 2/3 feet above the faces?
Old 11-06-2007   #25
Photocamel Master

Benji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz View Post
One more followup if you don't mind. Where you say the main light should be level and about 2/3 feet above the gruop faces. If I am using a softbox for my main, would I just keep the center of the SB about 2/3 feet above the faces?
Bobby,

Without seeing your set up my best guess is yes. Ideally after you get everyone posed you will turn off every light in the room except for the main light. It was previously roughed in in the approximate position. Then you will LOOK at the peoples faces and check them for unwanted shadows. If you have them move the light (probably toward the camera a little bit and perhaps up.) The look again. If the shadows look better feather the light toward the camera and take a meter reading at the person at the extreme left, the center and the extreme right. Move and feather the light until the reading is the same (or within a 10th of a stop.)

Benji
Old 11-06-2007   #26
Alpaca

vtabrevs is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 22

Awesome tutorial. You broke it down into the barest bits. Thank you, I just learned more here in five minutes then I have from all the glossy books on the shelves. Thanks, I will be watching for more tutorials.
vtabrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #27
Photocamel Master

Here is another shot I took that same day but about 1500 feet east of the other location. I used a weak off camera flash just to the left of my camera to provide a little fill light.

I had this rock moved to this location in the late summer and I used it a couple of times on high school seniors. This is the second time I have used it for families. I think I like it at this spot. The farmer across the street moves it for me with a front end loader since it weighs several tons.

Benji
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScottRock.jpg (138.0 KB, 1885 views)
Old 11-07-2007   #28
Guanaco

Thanks Benji and another great shot.
Old 11-07-2007   #29
Former Camel

MagicNikon is a jewel in the roughMagicNikon is a jewel in the roughMagicNikon is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 240

Benji, you're awesome! Thanks again!
MagicNikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007   #30
F1 Camel

harryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 151938
Editing OK?: Yes

Benji thanks for posting this! I am shooting a family group photo this weekend and would be thrilled if I can get the posing results 1/2 this good.

http://pbase.com/harrydavid
Amateur having fun! Feel free to edit any of my images.
harryd is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials »

Share this topic: