Plastic fantastic or is there more ?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2007   #1
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 9005
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Plastic fantastic or is there more ?

On alot of fora you will find people who nag about plastic faces.
Although I completly agree that on some photos the work on the faces are really really BAD and the models look more like barbie than a real world model.
There also has to be some information on the how and why.
When I work on my photos I always shop with prints on A2 format in mind (or larger), in other words the pictures are to be published large.
When you take care of your light placement the light will hit the skin in a diffuse matter and lighten up the pores and problem areas, I know that with 100% correct exposure and 100% correct lightuse you can get a shopped skin effect straight out of the camera.
In photoshop my work is mostly not more than 4-10 minutes per photo on the skin, which mainly consist on working on blemishes and problem areas under the eyes.
Because you make the pictures much smaller for internet ALOT of information is lost and the picture is made softer than it actually is.
The last few years I have seen myself that by climbing MP's on my camera the internet version loose more and more detail.
So for the fun and to make people think about this internetsoftening here some examples, to show that a picture which LOOK overshopped in practice (1:1) has more than enough detail and is no Barbie.
The internet version

1:1 crop

another one

1:1 crop

open for discussion of course.
MvrGr.
Frank

Old 04-22-2007   #2
Alter_ego

CamelKarma:
Default Re: Plastic fantastic or is there more ?

You make a valid point about reproduction sizes Frank and they are good pics, but I would not have said that any of your web sized pics shown here were plastic or overdone.
Old 04-22-2007   #3
Bactrian

Believe me there are more than plenty who do claim there is no structure what so ever in my shots
It's always dead silent when I post a crop
J.A.F. Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 136021
Editing OK?: No

Of course there is silence. What the heck is there to say but Wow!
Assorted old film gear.
And my trusty 45 year old Weston light meter.
Critiques and comments always welcome.
oldugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2261

You're capturing fantastic amounts of detail. That's probably why your photos don't look like Barbies. I know you didn't ask, but I really don't like the second photo. The close up is just amazing, but still, the whole photo has an almost morbid quality.
Old 05-03-2007   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Processing for the web has really become a different animal for me. Since I usually print medium to medium large (around 10x15 in.), most of my effort has been toward that result, and processing for the web is an after thought. I think it's a mistake to take the web for granted, and my catalog work has really gotten me to rethink the whole strategy. Granted, skin is a lot different than glazed pottery, but the idea is the same, you want to portray the smooth skin of the glaze, but still show the underlying texture of the clay.

Frank, I've often marveled at your judicial use of lighting and processing for your models. The difference in getting it right in the camera is definitely part of your unmistakable style. If you look at your work as a whole, there is quite a bit of variation of just this one aspect, and that tells me there is intent in the way you set up the shot. Basically, it looks too good to be just some simple noise reduction.
Old 05-03-2007   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888

Frank,

Could you detail the tools you used to create images number 1, please? By this i mean camera/format, lights , settings, etc.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007   #8
Bactrian

5D 70-200f2.8 IS L
And one striplight as a mainlight, and one kicker for the hair.
J.A.F. Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007   #9
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888

Thank you.

Your image here looks much "crispier" and sharper as far as resolution than most of the work I have seen on most of the forums I have looked at. Do you attribute this to anything in particular, like always using a tripod, or specific Post Processing or anything?
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007   #10
Bactrian

I shoot from hand, but I do take care of my postprocessing.
I take alot of time to make sure the sharpening is just good, without halo's.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials »

Share this topic: