Understanding Resolution
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014   #1
Lubbock, Tx.

CamelKarma: 305567
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Understanding Resolution

I was recently speaking at a photography convention and got into a conversation with a photographer who was prepping her images for upload to be judged to become a Certified Professional Photographer.
The conversation centered around resolution and before I knew it, there were SEVERAL photographers that gravitated toward the conversation and had no idea of the difference between Pixel Count and Resolution.

So I made a little graphic from an image I just happened to be working on.

Pixel Count refers to the number of pixels wide, and number of pixels tall an image is.
The beauty of Pixel Counts is that you do not have to worry about resolution of an image, AS LONG AS you have enough "digital meat" on the bone to print the image.

However, when using Inches as a size parameter, then you would add a resolution value to the size of an image.

An 8x10@300 = 2400x3000 pixels. Both figures are the same file size.

Old 10-09-2014   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 783595
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Understanding Resolution

I see a ton of juried contests that require specific dimensions for the submissions (or the long side), but besides the dimensions, they always seem to add an irrelevant ppi parameter requirement.

It's not like they're printing them. They're reviewing on their screen, thus ppi is whatever the individual's screen is.

Drives me up the wall.
stef@apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 183992
Editing OK?: Ask first

Would you do a graphic involving meter's and maybe one that demonstrates a meter's advantage over disadvantage? Also include any clue or idea regarding which meter may accomplish most goals so long as they are nearly everyday usage, though brinking on the verge of "professional" photography, yet maintains it affordability and quality!

Happy Photography! -Americo.rodriguez
aNikkorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 227845
Editing OK?: Yes

With film we had to contend with the optical resolution of lenses combined with the spacial resolution of film, which largely depended on film size, grain size, and emulsion thickness. With printing grain size was so small it wasn't important but lens resolution and the surface of the emulsion were important.

Today it is optical resolution, sensor size, pixel count, monitor ppi, printer dpi, and paper surface.

It's enough to keep anyone confused.

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014   #5
Lubbock, Tx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef@apl View Post
I see a ton of juried contests that require specific dimensions for the submissions (or the long side), but besides the dimensions, they always seem to add an irrelevant ppi parameter requirement.

It's not like they're printing them. They're reviewing on their screen, thus ppi is whatever the individual's screen is.

Drives me up the wall.
EXACTLY.
We've removed the resolution question from the upload interface on the PPA website.
Old 10-22-2014   #6
Lubbock, Tx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNikkorGuy View Post
Would you do a graphic involving meter's and maybe one that demonstrates a meter's advantage over disadvantage? Also include any clue or idea regarding which meter may accomplish most goals so long as they are nearly everyday usage, though brinking on the verge of "professional" photography, yet maintains it affordability and quality!
No idea what you just said.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials »

Share this topic: