Useful tips for tracking batteries and memory cards - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014   #11
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2638122
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Useful tips for tracking batteries and memory cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2Duck View Post
This is too funny. The image of the Tamrac wallet that is open is the basis for my illustration for this tutorial
I added this to an expedition 8 backpack which also has their red flag system. Works great for location work. Perfect for carry-on when flying too.

Good write up.
jdt360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014   #12
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdt360 View Post
I added this to an expedition 8 backpack which also has their red flag system. Works great for location work. Perfect for carry-on when flying too.

Good write up.
I like Tamrac's flag system. Too bad they put so much effort on a multi-purpose wallet. Who keeps batteries and memory cards together, anyone? It seems awkward. Think Tank has a multi-card wallet that can hold a lot more cards but they don't have that nice flag system (not that it's important). Theirs is also easier to see through. I'll have to check it out but I hate non-zippered wallets. I've dropped cards out of non-secured (velcro) wallets before.

Lowepro seems to have a nice multi-pocket wallet that is zippered that seems nice, but we're getting away from the heart of this post
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014   #13
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2638122
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
I like Tamrac's flag system. Too bad they put so much effort on a multi-purpose wallet. Who keeps batteries and memory cards together, anyone? It seems awkward. Think Tank has a multi-card wallet that can hold a lot more cards but they don't have that nice flag system (not that it's important). Theirs is also easier to see through. I'll have to check it out but I hate non-zippered wallets. I've dropped cards out of non-secured (velcro) wallets before.

Lowepro seems to have a nice multi-pocket wallet that is zippered that seems nice, but we're getting away from the heart of this post
I use the built in system on the pack for cards and the wallet for batteries. Plenty of space for my purposes and the flags make tracking no brainier. Very secure.

There are tons of solutions... This is the one I like.
jdt360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014   #14
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1411293
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
You bring up a good point I didn't bother writing about. Keeping track of usage.

Somewhere in my travels I recall reading about rechargeables having a lifespan. When I bought my first set of rechargeables I labeled them with numbers according to the set. For example; the first pack of four I labeled with a 1, the second set of four with a 2 and so forth. When I cycle them through my speedlight I make sure to keep the sets together. They also get charged together. Not sure if this makes any difference but in my mind it not only keeps them somewhat organized, it keeps the spend/recharge usage even across the set of four batteries. I later expanded to sets of eight when I got the battery packs for my speedlights. These I label with letters; A, B, C, etc.
I use a hybrid approach for labeling my battery cells, with the battery (group of cells) labeled with a letter and the cell within the battery labeled with a number. That way, if one of the cells becomes suspect, I can tell which it is, pull it out of service, and continue using the remaining cells individually or in a smaller group.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014   #15
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
I use a hybrid approach for labeling my battery cells, with the battery (group of cells) labeled with a letter and the cell within the battery labeled with a number. That way, if one of the cells becomes suspect, I can tell which it is, pull it out of service, and continue using the remaining cells individually or in a smaller group.
That's an even better system. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-06-2014   #16
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193

I used to do exactly what scoundrel described for my batteries, but eventually the markings all rubbed off, and I never got around to re-labeling them.

This was back in 2009...

I considered using Brother PTouch labels on the batteries too, but this might cause problems with some of the devices with tighter battery compartments.

Also, seeing as I have something like 4895840843* rechargeable AA cells, re-labeling all of them will be a chore.

*Well, not quite that many, but I was shocked at how many I had the last time I counted them. Also, there's one lonely cell floating around at a friend's house, hence the odd number.
Old 09-06-2014   #17
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1411293
Editing OK?: Ask First

I fixed that problem by putting a piece of library "disappearing" tape over the markings made with a permanent marker like Sharpie. That kind of tape doesn't shrink like regular cellophane tape and leave an edge of exposed adhesive. It's also comparatively thin and is less likely to cause problems with mechanical fit, though it can in some compartments that are tight to begin with. If the battery case is plastic or metal, you might be able to scribe the numbers into the surface instead, knocking off any burrs carefully and even using very fine emery cloth if necessary.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014   #18
F1 Camel

I use a PTouch with 1/4" white tape with no problems. I wrap the label on the heel end of the battery and use an X-acto blade to cut the excess tape off and form a butt joint, rather than overlap. They've been on there a couple of years with no issues.
Old 09-06-2014   #19
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193

Definitely some good ideas here.

I forget what device I was using which was already so tight some rechargeable AA's with fatter plastic sleeves on the outside already didn't fit.

It was something I definitely needed frequently, otherwise I probably would have used PTouch labels anyways.
Old 09-09-2014   #20
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 800291
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
You bring up a good point I didn't bother writing about. Keeping track of usage.

Somewhere in my travels I recall reading about rechargeables having a lifespan. When I bought my first set of rechargeables I labeled them with numbers according to the set.
I may not have been clear in my original post, but I do that too. Four batteries get a number 1.

I haven't done it so far, but I like Scoundrel's idea of labeling each battery within a set with a letter so you can I.D. one suspect cell.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials »

Share this topic: