DIY - Speedlight Gel Holders
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2014   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 3178128
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default DIY - Speedlight Gel Holders

Some folks might find this useful for dealing with gels and speedlights.

Working with gels and speedlights can be less than fun. Various methods are used by folks, from taping them on, to putting velcro "dots" on the gels and speedlights.

Here's how I deal with them:

It's pretty simple to make these. I've made them out of blister packaging that's headed to the garbage, and also out of thermoplastic that I have on hand for other projects. You just need a flat piece of plastic that's 5.5" x 4", and a little velcro. If you lightly score the plastic where the fold lines are, it will fold over perfectly. Just remember to score them on opposite sides of the plastic, so they bend the right way. If you score too deep, they can break when you go to fold them, but you can easily repair that with a bit of scotch tape.

Velcro holds it in place on the top of the speedlight. Drop a gel filter into the V slot, close the V slot which is secured with little velcro tabs, and you're ready to shoot. Changing out the gel to another color is as easy as it gets. Just pop open the V slot again, change out the filter, and close it again.

They work just fine on the front of my snoots and grids too.

No more tape or velcro on the filters themselves, and no more fooling with that stuff while you're trying to get some shooting done.

The simple plan above is actual size, so if you save it, then print it out, you can use it as a direct template under the plastic to make your cuts and fold lines.

Anyway, they work well for me. Maybe someone else will find them useful.

For those with such interests, here's a page that lists the gear I use: Buck's Gear

Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2900
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: DIY - Speedlight Gel Holders

Great idea,thanks for sharing!
Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 5883836

Looks like a nice simple DIY approach to GelHolder.com

The down and dirty quick method I use is!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4937.JPG (157.2 KB, 218 views)
palters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014   #4
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by palters View Post
Looks like a nice simple DIY approach to GelHolder.com
Cool! I hadn't seen that before!

For those with such interests, here's a page that lists the gear I use: Buck's Gear

Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!
Old 07-29-2014   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2900

Great idea,thanks for sharing!
Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 315530
Editing OK?: Ask first

Why do you all come up with these complicated ways of doing things? Gel, elastic band - done. The only thing simpler is slipping it under the diffuser but for flashes without diffusers, an elastic band works.
Naked Photogpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #7
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Photogpher View Post
Why do you all come up with these complicated ways of doing things? Gel, elastic band - done. The only thing simpler is slipping it under the diffuser but for flashes without diffusers, an elastic band works.
Show us your elastic band holding on a typical small gel.

As for the diffuser trick, suppose you don't want the light diffused that way?

Old 08-02-2014   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 90102
Editing OK?: No

The more "stuff" light has to pass through, the more of it you lose. I am really old school with my setup, just hook side of velcro on all my gels (and I have 6 of every colour available thanks to the near free Rosco sample packs), and the loop side of velcro on the sides of my flashes.

The Rosco packs are great for finding out which you want, and then considering that a 24x24 inch sheet of gel is under $3 and you can make 12 gels from a sheet, it's a tiny investment for a lifetime of gels in that colour. Most people will use 2-4 kinds for a grand total of $6-$12. If you don't want 12 gels of the same, split the cost between you and a photographer freind! Best performance, no messing with any holders that if they break leave you without gels and the cheapest solution.

Sometimes the KISS method really works!

"...Bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi et fidem servavi..."
jerryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014   #9
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1411293

Here's my version. I got my gels from Rosco in 8" x 5" sheets, cutting them into 5" x 2" strips. This allows me to make four gels from a single sheet. I bent and creased a 1" tab at each end to let the gels lie flatter on the front of the speedlight lens. I also refined things by labeling each gel with its type, ROSCO number, and in this case, its dekamired shift and color temperature shift. This is a 1/4 CTO (Color Temperature Orange) filter, which shifts a 5500K light source to 4500K, or 4.2 dekamireds to the red end. The kit I got contains Rosco CTO filters in four strengths, of which this is the weakest. The kit also includes three strengths of Plus Green that are useful for matching the green cast in fluorescent lighting, two strengths of CTB (Color Temperature Blue) a one-stop neutral density filter, and one effects filter called Urban Vapor in case I want to simulate the color of heavy pollution with oxides of nitrogen. The whole kit is available from Midwest Photo Excange under the part number ROS1001 and set me back about US25, including shipping. The labels are attached with library tape. I suppose you could do the same with standard-sized gels, but attaching the tabs/labels to the ends of the gels, but you would need heavier paper such as Bristol board and your tape would need to overlap the working part of the gel a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2405rs.jpg (51.9 KB, 121 views)
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014   #10
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4373477

Seems like something that can definitely be prone to over-engineering.
I use the velcro only because rubber bands dry up and break.

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is online now   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials »

Share this topic: