How to critique photos - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014   #31
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4373477
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: How to critique photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
I think in the end, the real answer lies in doing NOTHING than what we are doing right now. If someone wants a "pro" critique, then post it in the "pro critique" board and get an opinion form someone who is a "pro" (wink wink, if you must). otherwise, post it in the 99% boards and take what you get. You will get some "nice shot" comments, and some will give some advice, some will give too harsh of advice or comments. If you want something, ask for it. And if you get stuff that hurts your feelings, take a nap and come back later. It is all opinions. Opinions don't buy much.
I'm starting to agree with Mr. P, don't need to change much. I do like the pro crit forum a lot, but I think we all like to TALK about critiquing when we really ought to BE critiquing more.
even a one liner can be helpful.

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #32
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Lily View Post
Just some quick editing needed with these numbers...
Originally I had written it with a fifth element, "suggest a fix". This was also voiced in the comments. But after re reading some of what I had written I realized that the fifth part was actually tied in with number four. I guess I didn't edit it well enough. Thanks for pointing them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Lily View Post
Also, one more thing - I think examples provided after each of the four...

Just a thought - I tend to learn from examples even more than lists.

Thanks for posting this.
This is a good idea. No, I take that back. This is a great idea. I'll have to put a little thought into how to illustrate this. Maybe I'll do another post where I tear apart one of my images, doing it step by step through the process.

Thanks for that great suggestion.

P.S. Sorry for the "dear" comment earlier. Gender mixup on my part.
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #33
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 3416357
Editing OK?: Ask First

What an excellent OP. Over at Nikon Cafe it is possible to flag an image for critique or NSFW which implies the default is no critique. At Nikon Gear all images are offered for critique by default, but there isn't a no critique flag. If there is going to be a no critique flag IMO it is more useful to make critique the default.

Because of the personal involvement factor, I wind up learning more from the critique of other photographers work. A few years ago I did not know if a negative comment made sense or if the viewer was off in space. I have better idea now. There are a lot of people giving critique who do not know what they are doing. There are others who never post images which is just as bad.

I think that when giving critique exaggeration should be avoided at all costs. For an example, if an image is slightly soft it is not blurry.
Old 01-09-2014   #34
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scubadiver View Post
...At Nikon Gear all images are offered for critique by default, but there isn't a no critique flag. If there is going to be a no critique flag IMO it is more useful to make critique the default.
It's the same here on the Camel. The majority of the image posting boards are classified as "Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion". By default these are critique boards but, as has been argued, there are times when people will post something but aren't looking for a critique.

What I proposed is to establish some ground rules that make it easier for newbies to comprehend the rules of etiquette for criticism. Many new people (and even some who have been here a while) feel uncomfortable in giving critique because they;
  • Don't know how to give a proper critique
  • Don't know if the poster actually wants a critique (some don't actively ask for it)
  • Not sure how much of a critique to give
  • Any other unspecified reservation
I'm just pointing out that there are too many ambiguities that may prevent people from asking for a critique or offering a critique. Those of us who have been around long enough have picked up on the rules, but someone just coming in may not know what to do. It can be frustrating to some and we may be losing people for something that could be easily corrected.

I remember when I first came to this forum in 2010. I had zero experience with interacting with a forum platform. It took me a while to "learn the ropes" and it wasn't until earlier last year that I felt comfortable enough to interact with the community. Partly because I did not know the etiquette.

Since the critiquing boards are the most popular ones here, I thought I'd put in my two cents in formulating some ground rules to help out the newbies. Obviously those rules need to be acceptable to the entire community and make sense for the forum. I don't have much experience with other sites so I'm not sure what others do, but any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-04-2014   #35
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 209041
Editing OK?: Yes

Tat2Duck,

I would like to thank you for the write up about critiques. I have learned quite a bit just looking at the critiques give to various photos. In fact I have gotten in the habit of looking at the critiques before I really examine the photos, this lets me go to the photo with a more discerning eye for what might be right or wrong with the photos being posted. I have one I would like to post, but the critique is not what I am afraid of, my wife told me if I posted her photo she would collect my life insurance shortly after it got posted.
OkieGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #36
F1 Camel

Well, Okie, whether you post those images or not has to be weighed against your health and well being. Frankly it may be safer to pick a different subject to post as you will get the same education through the critiques.

Either way, we all welcome you to the Camel and look forward to seeing your posts.
Old 07-07-2014   #37
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 60731

I really love this. Thank you.
krismo227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014   #38
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

Critiques- How to give and take-IMPORTANT

Please check out the above post. It explains the roles of both the submitter and the critique. It a modest guide that I wrote a long time back in the interest of keeping the peace. Theses concepts were never adopted a forum rules and they are nothing more than logic, friendliness and peaceful communications between people who wish to maintain decorum in the area of giving and accepting critiques.

If there is anything in that post that is inflammatory or is set up to cause a resurgence of current unpleasantness or negativity- I can't find it!

Sincerely, Ed

Ottawa, Canada

Last edited by Tat2Duck; 11-28-2014 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: Removed reference to a specific member
Ed Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials »

Share this topic:

Tags
criticism, critique, critiquing, how to