Suggestion For A New Tutorial - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007   #11
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 964890
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Suggestion For A New Tutorial

Ghostman,

Welcome to PhotoCamel. You will find lots of help here, and some friendly advice.

Usually with hands in group images you will try and hide the rear hand if possible when the subjects is standing. If hiding the rear hand will look forced or look out of place then show both hands. If the subject is seated, I usually hide one hand under the other (in women) and I try and show as little as possible of the rear hand (in men.)

In the image I've posted below, we have twelve adult hands that could possibly show. Three are clearly visible. Note where I've placed them to hide them. This technique works well for a more casual pose like this one is. In more formal posing more hands may show.

Benji
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Isch001_020.jpg (98.5 KB, 944 views)
In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. Prov 28:23
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007   #12
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 72
Editing OK?: Ask First

Benji,

How about a "on th road" tutorial. For example, what to do, or bring, to capture photos when out hiking , camping or at the mall. I do a lot of protraits of people while in a situation where space is (or weight) very limited.

Another good example would be, how to take a great shot at graduation or concerts.

Pauly
obtr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007   #13
Photocamel Master

Well most of the graduation shots I do are the "grip and grin" shots where you get the shot at the exact second the graduate has his left hand on the diploma and he is shaking the hand of the person handing him (or her) the diploma. Nothing too artsy here but I believe this is what is expected. You can get in a lot of trouble in a hurry by getting too artistic in a shoot. I always get the "standard" shots that are expected first THEN go for the artsy fartsy stuff.

Benji
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diploma.jpg (118.9 KB, 760 views)
Old 06-08-2007   #14
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

How about a lighting tutorial on something other than portraits. Maybe architectural photography or lighting an interior space, perhaps something on photo-illustration, still-life, product or food photography ? Something different.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007   #15
Photocamel Master

Brooks,

I am a portrait photographer, and my forte is portraiture. I think those who have studied architectural photography or know how to light an interior space, or those who have experience in photo-illustration, still-life, product or food photography should chime in here.

I did classroom examples of most of the above with a 4 x 5 view camera and reversal film 25 years ago, but I have done little, if any, since then, so I would not consider myself qualified to write a tutorial on any of them.

Benji
Old 06-09-2007   #16
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 318

I enjoy your tutorials here, Benji, and I would like to more tutorials on posing techniques, especially for casual photography.

I would like to see a tutorial on single light-source studio photography.

And I would like to see tips for creating glamorous photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji View Post
Brooks,

I am a portrait photographer, and my forte is portraiture. I think those who have studied architectural photography or know how to light an interior space, or those who have experience in photo-illustration, still-life, product or food photography should chime in here.

I did classroom examples of most of the above with a 4 x 5 view camera and reversal film 25 years ago, but I have done little, if any, since then, so I would not consider myself qualified to write a tutorial on any of them.

Benji
Carol Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #17
Photocamel Master

Carol,

I never use a single light source in my studio. I find I like having a well lit background and well lit hair and I don't like messing around with reflectors for 10 minutes bouncing the single light source into the background and hair to get them well lit. I normally use four lights (sometimes five or six.)

Posing for casual images is actually pretty easy. Just take the pose they are already in and refine it. So if they are standing beside a fence and leaning against it, simply have them turn a little so they are not square to the camera (or you can move to one side) then look at the hands to make sure they look good then shoot. Remember a 45 degree angle body turn usually looks best.

Tips for creating glamour. A professional make-up session is a must. Every woman benefits from well applied make-up regardless of how beautiful she is. Her hair should be as perfect as it can be, so a trip the the salon is another must. Paramount (butterfly) lighting works well with normal to slightly underweight women. If the woman is overweight this lighting will add pounds. In this case use short lighting. Tipping her head to the high (feminine) shoulder will make her look feminine! Tipping her head to the low (masculine) shoulder will make her look more commanding and "in charge."

Hope this helps.

Benji
Old 06-20-2007   #18
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Hello!

I'm also a newcomer to the site and have already learned TONS from reading the existing tutorials. Thanks Benji!

I'm wondering if you already have a tutorial for studio lighting choice and placement when it comes to a small group (such as a family of 5 or 6). The way you broke everything down in Studio Portrait Lighting - A How-To was especially helpful. Anything like that floating around?

Thanks!
-Neilsen
yunaiseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #19
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunaiseng View Post
Hello!

I'm also a newcomer to the site and have already learned TONS from reading the existing tutorials. Thanks Benji!

I'm wondering if you already have a tutorial for studio lighting choice and placement when it comes to a small group (such as a family of 5 or 6). The way you broke everything down in Studio Portrait Lighting - A How-To was especially helpful. Anything like that floating around?

Thanks!
-Neilsen
Neilson,

Yes. Check this out. While it may be "old school" it still works!http://jzportraits.home.att.net/chapter-08.html

Benji
Old 06-23-2007   #20
Llama

CamelKarma: 2035

I would like to see a tutorial on your work flow and processing. Your photos have a great snap to them and accurate colors.
JimmyZ

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials »

Share this topic: