The Rules Of Good Portraiture - Page 5
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2006   #41
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: The Rules Of Good Portraiture

What a great tutorial (tipping my virtual hat to you, Benji).

Thank you very much, Sir.
Old 12-22-2006   #42
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 571628

Thanks guys. It's funny, I see a huge difference in the images of the guy who doesn't know the rules (and therefore breaks them) and the guy who knows them and breaks them on purpose. I may have stated this before, but I have discovered if in a given image it is possible to break six rules and you break one (or two) but keep the others, the image will still most likely be successful. But if you break all six it will be a disaster. For instance in the image below, I broke at least four rules and the image is an absolute disaster!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5555-.jpg (77.8 KB, 5933 views)
In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. Prov 28:23
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #43
Russ Holmes

CamelKarma: 1583
Editing OK?: Yes

Actually, I don't see anything wrong with it. :

Ya know I had to do it.

Web - http://www.focusingonflorida.com
MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/russellholmesphotography

editing allowed, comments always welcome!
FocusingOnFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #44
Photocamel Master

Russ,

You are incorrigible! *

Benji

Old 12-22-2006   #45
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906

I think this thread should be stickied if you ask me.
Old 12-25-2006   #46
Llama

CamelKarma: 1483
Editing OK?: Yes

Thanks, Benji, I got here via POTN link. I haven't even had a chance to try any of these absolutely unbreakable rules and restrictions [sarcasm], but I have already passed a couple on to my son and we are now talking about shooting some glamor together. So, not only are you improving the general level of photography in the world but also bringing families closer together!
dwightmccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #47
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 17
Editing OK?: Ask First

Hi Benji!! i got here via POTN what an excellent tutorial & forum i think you should also include a sequence to this thread.
Part #2:- The Rules of Good Lighting in Portraiture! It should include the different lighting setup AND camera settings (ISO, speed & aperture)!!! I think this will then become a Sticky Thread for sure it totally steps out on how to picture portaits 100%...

ho!ho!ho!ho!

Thank you so much!!!
yarnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #48
Photocamel Master

Yarnos,

Good idea!* I will finally get to use the neat lighting diagram found here on PhotoCamel (I don't remember what forum though!)* The lighting set up you see below is what I use about 95% of the time.* There are a couple of differences between the diagram and my "real life" camera room however.* My hair light is on a track on the ceiling not on a boom and I don't use pole to hold up my seamless paper.* The hair light and background light readings are for a dark background and a subject with dark hair.* If the subject has blonde hair it will be less and If I want a darker background it will be less.* I ALWAYS use ISO 100 in my camera room and in my outdoor studio.

Benji

(Added in edit) Here are the distances FROM THE SUBJECT of the various lights in the diagram for the head and shoulders image. I place the fill light on the same side as the main (as shown) and about 8 to 10 feet from the subject (behind me.) The center of the light is about seven feet up from the floor which means the bottom of the 62 inch umbrella is about five feet above the floor. It is feathered (as shown above) off to one side. NEVER aim the fill or main directly at the subject, use the "sweet spot" that surrounds the "hot spot" which is found directly in the middle of the light source. The MAIN light is usually about 30 inches from the subject (it may be as close as 24 inches or as far away as 36 inches, it depends on the pose and the subject.) It is also feathered so the hot spot winds up in front of the subject by about 12 to 18 inches as shown in the diagram. The bottom of the 24 x 36 inch softbox which is my main light is usually slightly about eye level to the subject and the whole softbox is tipped down at a 45 degree angle. The background light is aimed directly at the background light so it puts a halo of light on the background behind the subjects back and shoulders and is metered to be about the same power as what the main and fill meter together (and what is the aperture of the lens is). The hair light is above and behind the subject and is usually about 18 inches away from the head and is metered so it is the same power as the main and fill combo. The kicker light is about 5 to 6 feet from the subject and is metered like the hair and background light. I have posted an image showing this set up. I learned this lighting set up from master photographer Frank Cricchio. This should give you repeatable images day in and day out. Someone on another site said this will give you "predictable" results as if that were something bad. Personally I prefer predictable results to reshoots!!!

Benji
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LightingSetup1.jpg (100.0 KB, 5772 views)
File Type: jpg WideShot.jpg (48.1 KB, 5641 views)
Old 12-28-2006   #49
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightmccann
Thanks, Benji, I got here via POTN link. I haven't even had a chance to try any of these absolutely unbreakable rules and restrictions [sarcasm], but I have already passed a couple on to my son and we are now talking about shooting some glamor together. So, not only are you improving the general level of photography in the world but also bringing families closer together!
Dwight,

Welcome to the Camel! I'm glad to hear that I'm bringing families together also!

I saw something interesting the other day that I have wanted to bring up so I guess there is no better time than the present. My wife and I were grocery shopping and while in the breakfast cereal section I glanced at a box of "children's "cereal (I don't remember the name) and there was a cartoon on the front of the Little Mermaid, drawn incorporating the 1-3-2 posing technique! It even works for females in cartoons!

Benji
Old 12-28-2006   #50
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 18
Editing OK?: Ask First

Benji,

This is a really great tutorial and very informative since portraits are what I am concentrating on as far as indoor photography. Well written tutorials are hard to find. Yours are quite good.

TMR Design
tmrdesign is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials »

Share this topic: