PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
PhotoCamel Directory Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006   #31
Alpaca

Denny is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10
Default Re: Using Gels To Change The Background Color

Benji, I recently purchased a white background (paper) as my first background. I have been using hot shoe flashes ETTL with the Canon 580 and 420 speedlights. I also have two hot shoe flashed set up remotely to sync with my Canon 5D. I ran out and bought some colored gels thinking that I would simply place them on the front of the remote flashes and bingo I would get that color on my background. BUT it did not happen. I placed a bright blue filter on each of the remote flashes and proceeded to take some photos. Na da. Nothing changed. I changed the power output on both flashes and still nothing. I did notice, however, that when I pushed the test fire button on each that I could indeed see color on the background. So, do you have idea as to why I can not get the camera with the flashes to register any color? I know there must be a simple explanation but I am confused. Thanks, Denny.

Old 12-07-2006   #32
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

felix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 228901
Editing OK?: No

Mhh. what I use is a black background ... sounds silly but works perfect.! I can get (almost) any shade of color I want by adjusting the power of my strobes. A gray background will also work or even better. I think a white one is not ideal for that, at least that's what I read.
Old 12-07-2006   #33
Photocamel Master

Benji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 563399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Benji, I recently purchased a white background (paper) as my first background. I have been using hot shoe flashes ETTL with the Canon 580 and 420 speedlights. I also have two hot shoe flashed set up remotely to sync with my Canon 5D. I ran out and bought some colored gels thinking that I would simply place them on the front of the remote flashes and bingo I would get that color on my background. BUT it did not happen. I placed a bright blue filter on each of the remote flashes and proceeded to take some photos. Na da. Nothing changed. I changed the power output on both flashes and still nothing. I did notice, however, that when I pushed the test fire button on each that I could indeed see color on the background. So, do you have idea as to why I can not get the camera with the flashes to register any color? I know there must be a simple explanation but I am confused. Thanks, Denny.
My best guess is that the pre-flash fires the other two units which are still recovering when the main flash fires. A white background does not work well with gels because they reflect the light rather than absorbing it. Placing a blue gel on a flash that is positioned behind your subject and using a white background will result in a light blue background and a blue halo around your subjects expecially their hair.

Benji
In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. Prov 28:23
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006   #34
Guanaco

SensorDust is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 15

Quote:
Could it be the white balance used on the 5D. I read that the Flash WB setting will auto white balance and possibly remove the blue tint reflected from the paper. Have you tried using daylight balance instead. Or a fixed Kelvin temperature that matches your flash. Then the blue might show up. I don't have gels with me to test this theory.
SensorDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #35
Lubbock, Tx.

Mark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 164706

Quote:
My guess is that your background is overexposed.
Even with a gel, overexposing the background will blow out your color.
Use a grey or black background, and your color will magically appear.
Old 12-17-2006   #36
Alpaca

DMZLSK is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

Benji,
I enjoy your tutorials. I'm learning a lot! I'm a wanna-be portrait photographer and you're helping me greatly! Thank you!
Becki
DMZLSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006   #37
Dromedary

grsphoto is a splendid one to beholdgrsphoto is a splendid one to beholdgrsphoto is a splendid one to beholdgrsphoto is a splendid one to beholdgrsphoto is a splendid one to beholdgrsphoto is a splendid one to beholdgrsphoto is a splendid one to beholdgrsphoto is a splendid one to beholdgrsphoto is a splendid one to beholdgrsphoto is a splendid one to beholdgrsphoto is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4368

Quote:
Benji, I recently purchased a white background (paper) as my first background. < snip>

Thanks, Denny.
As Mark said you are likely overexposing. Adjusting your lighting to have colour read on a white background is not easy. If you need to work with white ( white wall? ) then adjust your lighting so that it reads a dark grey ( 2 stops down from your main?), then start adding gels, but not more light. The more light you add the whiter it will become.

Glenn

It is easier to put colour into a dark grey or black background
grsphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #38
Bactrian

mjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 64797

Great tutorials Benjii. How are you managing to get such an even gel on the background? Are you boncing ito an umbrella? When I gel a background light with the gel over the light I get a hotspot (almost white) and then it tapers out to the edges with the coulor I prefer. My light is approx. 3-4 ft from the background.
Old 01-04-2007   #39
Photocamel Master

Benji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 563399

Most of the time I put a frosted white "gel" behind the colored gel. The frosted one softens the light a spreads it out. The frosted "gel" looks like sandblasted glass but has no color (kinda like a 1 gallon plastic milk jug.)

Benji
In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. Prov 28:23
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #40
Bactrian

mjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nicemjklunk is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 64797

Thanks Benji. I have a couple of those and didn't think to try it. I'll give that a shot this weekend.

mjklunk is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Tutorials »

Share this topic: