Using Reflectors Outdoors
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2006   #1
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 964890
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Using Reflectors Outdoors

Sometimes you will find a spot outdoors that has nice side lighting but the contrast between the shadow side and the highlight side is too great to print onto photographic paper properly. With digital you must meter carefully and expose for the highlights. I have noticed that with my Canon if the shadows are two stops less than the highlight side they will have lots of noise in them when printed onto photographic paper. There are a couple of ways I use to bring the shadow side of a subject's face up to a printable level. For one or two people a silver reflector works great. I clip it onto a light stand (or have an assistant hold it) and meter the shadow side while moving the reflector in or out until it is anywhere from 1 2/3rds to 1 stop less than the highlight reading. This is what I did in the image below. My reflector is a piece of cardboard that measures 20 x 24. It was a box the lab shipped a print to me in. I flattened it out, cut off the tabs and glued silver "Cracked Ice" onto it. This can be purchased from any prom supply place like Stumps or Anderson's. You could also use aluminum foil that you wrinkled up and then unwrinkled. It even folds into three sections making it easy to store in the back of my van.

Another way is to use flash. Monte Zucker teaches a method on his site www.montezucker.com. When using flash outdoors you must maintain the same shutter speed setting with the flash as the ambient reading was in order for the background to be the same as seen by the naked eye. This setting cannot be more than what your camera's shutter synchs at.

Benji

In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. Prov 28:23
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Using Reflectors Outdoors

Excellent info Benji. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2006   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 34
Editing OK?: Ask First

Another great tutorial. I think getting good outdoor pictures is a lot harder than most people realize.

Many novice photographers would do well to use their popup flash for close-range outdoor photographs, but it's the last thing that most think to do.
AlbertP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #4
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181
Editing OK?: Yes

Great lighting. I have a tri-fold reflector I purchased at the dollar store that has crinkled aluminum on it. It is soft, flexible and has a velcro strap. Now I just need to use it as well as you used your piece of cardboard.

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials »

Share this topic: