PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
PhotoCamel Directory Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007   #51
Vicuna

NikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really nice
CamelKarma: 501
Default Re: The 1-3-2 Posing Technique

Excellent technique! Relatively simple yet it makes such a big difference!

Thanks!

Old 08-08-2010   #52
Vicuna

Troy is a glorious beacon of lightTroy is a glorious beacon of lightTroy is a glorious beacon of lightTroy is a glorious beacon of lightTroy is a glorious beacon of lightTroy is a glorious beacon of lightTroy is a glorious beacon of lightTroy is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1031

I just want to say WOW thank you...Benji.
This has been, without a doubt, the most informative photography tutorial/tip Ive ever read!!
Hopefully someday all the things you have mentioned here...will be second nature to me.
A+++ props!
Thank You,
Troy
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #53
Alpaca

AaronKPhoto is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 23
Editing OK?: No

Hey. I'm new here, but I've got a few comments.

This style was popular in the 80's. Seems a bit stiff and posed for these days. Just my opinion, I'm new here, but I've been shooting for a long time.

Posing with the angles you have is very good technically (aside from the "catcher's mitt and claw" hands in the first), but when they look so, well, "posed", it's usually a turn off. Try to get them to relax more and I think you'll have happier clients. I'm more of a fan of the more contemporary portraits. But that's just me, I guess some like a stuffier look.

You might want to take a closer look at your black and whites, too. The conversion you did really isn't the best example. No offense, but it's really gray and lacks contrast.
AaronKPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010   #54
Alpaca

Jeremyw is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

Hi, I have a real basic question (read dumb)

1-3-2, 1-1-1 etc..

In real simple terms what is the first, second and third number referring to (head-shoulder-eyes or ?)

What does the number represent?

(1 is aimed to light source, 3 is aimed to camera, 2 is aimed at Meca.... etc.)

Just not real clear, and I have looked at example photos, and done much googling.... everything seems to point to here for the answer, but I'm not getting it...

Thank you!!
Jeremyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #55
Vicuna

adza77 is just really niceadza77 is just really niceadza77 is just really niceadza77 is just really niceadza77 is just really nice
CamelKarma: 444

Hi Jeremy,
I believe the order of the number is Body-Head/Face-Eyes. (I'm no expert, but since no one else has replied... here goes).

So, a 1-1-1 shot would have the body, Face and Eyes all pointing in the same direction out to the side.

A 1-3-2 shot would have the body pointing one direction, the face the other direction and the eyes directly at the camera man.

1 = Left.
2 = Face On
3 = Right.

So a 1-3-2 is:

Body | Face | Eyes
Left (1) Right(3) At Camera(2)

I hope that makes sense. (And I hope I'm right too)
adza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #56
Alpaca

Jeremyw is on a distinguished road

Thank you!

It makes perfect sense. I searched high and low, but yours is the first (only?) concise explanation.

Thanks again!

Jeremyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #57
Alpaca

goatee is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 17

First of all, thanks Benji, you've illustrated the technique really clearly.

adza77, the only correction I would make, is that 1 or 3 isn't about left or right per se - 1 is 45 degrees away from the main light, and 3 is pointing 45 degrees from the fill (if there is one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adza77 View Post
Hi Jeremy,
I believe the order of the number is Body-Head/Face-Eyes. (I'm no expert, but since no one else has replied... here goes).

So, a 1-1-1 shot would have the body, Face and Eyes all pointing in the same direction out to the side.

A 1-3-2 shot would have the body pointing one direction, the face the other direction and the eyes directly at the camera man.

1 = Left.
2 = Face On
3 = Right.

So a 1-3-2 is:

Body | Face | Eyes
Left (1) Right(3) At Camera(2)

I hope that makes sense. (And I hope I'm right too)
goatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #58
Alpaca

d@vid is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I am new to this forum and I realise that this is an old thread by now but I am trying to figure out if position 1 has anything to do with the key light? The girl seems to be turned away from it but the guy seems to be facing it? Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers, David
d@vid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #59
Camel Breath

Steven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 979068
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: The 1-2-3 Posing Technique

The explanation for each element (body-face-eyes) is on the first page of the thread. Shown are pictures of each.
Steve

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Last edited by Steven G Webb; 02-05-2012 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: ---
Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #60
Alpaca

Pbvillam is on a distinguished road

WOW! another reason to drag the wife and try this on her. Thanks a bunch!!!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Tutorials »

Share this topic: