PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011   #1
Vicuna

mash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4578
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Macro Extension Tube

I just got this and am struggling to focus on subjects. How do I go about it
Any Advice?

Mahlon

Old 11-01-2011   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

uk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 349734
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Macro Extension Tube

I always find it easiest to move my position rather than to try and use the focusing ring... leaning in towards your subject is much easier.
Be aware though that the light is dramatically reduced through extension tubes, so if you have a bunch all connected together you may need to either reduce the number or increase the light on your subject.
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #3
Guanaco

Earguy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEarguy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEarguy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEarguy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEarguy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEarguy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEarguy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEarguy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEarguy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEarguy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEarguy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 685143

Assuming you got the three-stacked set.

Start with the smallest one. From my non-scientific research, most seem to get best use from it using a somewhat longer lens, in the 70-100mm length instead of a wider lens like a 20mm.

If you're using a tripod, a focus rail works best. Personally, I get some good results just manually focusing hand-held, then gently shifting my weight to get my subject in focus.

You'll find that your depth of field is EXTREMELY shallow. For instance, I shot a wasp on a flower, he was probably only 3/4 of an inch long, and when looking at the shot full-screen, you can see that the body was in sharp focus and the head/eyes was soft.

Here's the wasp shot I mentioned, note the shallow depth of field, and that was f/8. Hand-held, 1/800sec, ISO 400.

Earguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #4
Vicuna

mash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to beholdmash is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4578
Editing OK?: Ask first

Thanx Guys, Really do appreciate the advice. Been busy at work and therefore did not manage to find the time to put your advice to use. Will update you soon.
mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #5
Alpaca

ivalcordo is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 33

thank you
ivalcordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011   #6
Alpaca

raclro is a glorious beacon of lightraclro is a glorious beacon of lightraclro is a glorious beacon of lightraclro is a glorious beacon of lightraclro is a glorious beacon of lightraclro is a glorious beacon of lightraclro is a glorious beacon of lightraclro is a glorious beacon of lightraclro is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1123
Editing OK?: No

practice on non-moving objects in lots of light to help you focus, coins,keys, ect.
As someone mentioned above, move slowly toward it and shoot when it looks best.
raclro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011   #7
F1 Camel

UgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 12655371

I've practiced on fixed subjects with a tripod (ice crystals on a window) and still find the focus extremely sensitive. I'm using 3 stacked tubes for a total of 65mm on a 100mm macro lens. Not familiar with the rail systems and would like to know how they mount. Lens collor with Acra swiss plate? Is the rail a better system for fixed subjects and focus stacking better for hand held moving?
UgashikBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #8
F1 Camel

Sailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 190863

I have a $13 US 2 way macro focus rail slider coming this week. I intend on using it for 3D photography but it is really designed for focusing macro images if Auto Focus doesn't work because of the reduction of light reaching the sensor when you use extension tubes or if AF doesn't work with your set of extension tubes..

2 way macro focus rail slider for Digital SLR Cameras | eBay

With this set to about mid-travel you move your tripod until you get the composition you want, manually focus, then tweak the focus with the slide rail.

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #9
F1 Camel

UgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorUgashikBob strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 12655371

Sailor Blue
Thanks for the link. Just ordered one. Hong Kong shipping is OK as we probably will get our next mail the late April or early May.
UgashikBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #10
Guanaco

joeinmiami has a brilliant futurejoeinmiami has a brilliant futurejoeinmiami has a brilliant futurejoeinmiami has a brilliant futurejoeinmiami has a brilliant futurejoeinmiami has a brilliant futurejoeinmiami has a brilliant futurejoeinmiami has a brilliant futurejoeinmiami has a brilliant futurejoeinmiami has a brilliant futurejoeinmiami has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 23626

I am thinking of ordering the same rail, but I am worry about dealing with an unknown outfit. (I have gotten burn while ordering from unknown website). Please let us know if the you got the order with no problems.

Thanks

Joe

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Tutorials »

Share this topic: