Photographing Birds in Flight #3 - Acquisition Skill - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012   #11
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 41530830
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Photographing Birds in Flight #3 - Acquisition Skill

Thanks for more very useful tips Jim
Old 09-30-2012   #12
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7568

I just went to an air show to practice whith this in mind. The aircraft flight line is most times more predictable than a bird which makes practice useful. I also attempted using both eyes open as suggested earlier, and found it difficult to make the initial acquisition.
Might continue to work on this,
Best wishes.
golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #13
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

very useful tip, thanks a lot
sethu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #14
Naz
Llama

CamelKarma: 20855

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
I just went to an air show to practice whith this in mind. The aircraft flight line is most times more predictable than a bird which makes practice useful. I also attempted using both eyes open as suggested earlier, and found it difficult to make the initial acquisition.
Might continue to work on this,
Best wishes.
One thing I've found to be helpful is instead of tryign to find hte bird for the autofocus to lock onto, pick a spot about hte same distance away roughly like a treeline, do a quick focus on that, then quickly move lens to where bird is flying aNd it will be mostly in focus and much easier to get camera to lock focus onto the bird, and you'll see the bird in focus. If you just instead try to locate bird, the camera won''t be focussed in right distance, and it'll be blurry and have hard time lockign onto bird

IF there's no treeline or object approximately where bird is, just use hte groudn to get a 'prefocus' distance and then swing it up to bird- this prefocusing stops a lot of the lens hunting too and when you half press the shutter it will almsot always instantly lock focus onto bird

Big birds are easier
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #15
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

Great tip, Jim.
trippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #16
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 892073
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
One thing I've found to be helpful is instead of tryign to find hte bird for the autofocus to lock onto, pick a spot about hte same distance away roughly like a treeline, do a quick focus on that, then quickly move lens to where bird is flying aNd it will be mostly in focus and much easier to get camera to lock focus onto the bird, and you'll see the bird in focus. If you just instead try to locate bird, the camera won''t be focussed in right distance, and it'll be blurry and have hard time lockign onto bird

IF there's no treeline or object approximately where bird is, just use hte groudn to get a 'prefocus' distance and then swing it up to bird- this prefocusing stops a lot of the lens hunting too and when you half press the shutter it will almsot always instantly lock focus onto bird

Big birds are easier
Yes - this is exactly what I meant by pre-focusing. I will usually just use the ground at the distance desired. I will often point the lens and focus on the approximate distance without even looking thru the viewfinder. I will usually do the pre-focus and then set the lens down and wait for the bird to arrive. Sometimes I will pause on the way to bringing the lens up to my eye and pre-focus. You still need to find the bird with the viewfinder and focus on it to complete the initial acquisition, but the initial focus will occur faster if you have pre-focused.

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com
Jim Neiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #17
Naz
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Neiger View Post
. You still need to find the bird with the viewfinder and focus on it to complete the initial acquisition, but the initial focus will occur faster if you have pre-focused.
I find also that I can zoom out the lens after prefocusing in order to give a larger field of view for the intitial focus contact, then zoom in on bird once focus has been established- I use a Sigma 50-500 OS which is a pretty nice lens, but it does hunt quite a bit, plus the fact that it weighs abotu as much as a baby elephant with a weight problem, and I find it hard to get a lock o nthe birds in flight unless I've doen htis prefocus- it seems if the bird is al ittle in focus when moving hte lens aroudn to find it. then this lens doesn't hunt asm uch, but it still usually focusses out hten back in again if I don't have the focus prettyy spot on the bird when I fidn hte bird- I generally use spot focus or single point focus to avoid zone catchign objects in the foreground- spot focus is pretty difficult though
Old 10-01-2012   #18
Naz
Llama

and by the way Jim- just had a look at your site- went through the 'crazy action' gallery and wow- lots of nice and crazy shots- what lens and camera do you use? The detail i nthose shots are fantastic
Old 10-01-2012   #19
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 892073
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
and by the way Jim- just had a look at your site- went through the 'crazy action' gallery and wow- lots of nice and crazy shots- what lens and camera do you use? The detail i nthose shots are fantastic
Thanks for the kind words.

I haven't updated my site in quite a while, particularly the Crazy action gallery. The images in that gallery wer made with 20d, 1D2n, & 1D3 cameras. All the images in there were made hand held. Most of them were made with a 500mm or 500mm + TC combination. I am now using a 1D4 with the 600mm IS II with and without teleconverters. I have many more current images that are better than the ones in the gallery. One of these days I will put some of them on my site.

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com
Jim Neiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #20
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 64579

thanks

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials »

Share this topic: