PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011   #11
Alpaca

gpersi will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 67
Default Re: For Beginners: The Basics of Photography

matt great article just read it agin figure if i keep reading your articles some of it will stick to my mushe brain
gpersi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011   #12
Alpaca

litphotography_01 is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

Thank you so much and I know I can get a good idea to your article.
litphotography_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #13
Alpaca

MatthewGore is just really niceMatthewGore is just really niceMatthewGore is just really niceMatthewGore is just really niceMatthewGore is just really niceMatthewGore is just really nice
CamelKarma: 625

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I finally had the time to write the follow-up... which I'm afraid is not quite as clear as the first one, but just as important.

There's also a Quiz, for those of you who were having a good day that needed spoiling. Both can be found linked from the bottom of the first article.

- Matt
MatthewGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #14
Alpaca

Cerbograph is on a distinguished road

That's useful, thanks. One question though - I'm just starting out and understand there are trade offs between the three aspects however with ISO is there an ideal setting? I know it will vary but should I have a general rule of thumb to keep the ISO as low as possible to keep noise at a minimum?
Cerbograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #15
Alpaca

MatthewGore is just really niceMatthewGore is just really niceMatthewGore is just really niceMatthewGore is just really niceMatthewGore is just really niceMatthewGore is just really nice

Hi Cerb, As a general rule, the lower the ISO, the lower the noise... so it's best to set the ISO to the lowest setting that will still let you achieve your goals overall. So, if you need 1/500th of a second to stop action, then set your ISO only as high as is necessary to get 1/500th at your widest aperture (or whatever aperture you need to use for the image your making). I guess the answer, then, is that the ideal ISO in terms of noise is the lowest natural setting on your camera, but thats obviously not ideal in terms of gathering the most light. Depending on your camera, there may be a negligible difference in noise between say... ISO100 and ISO400, so it may make sense to shoot at 400 most of the time. - Matthew
Old 12-03-2011   #16
Alpaca

Cerbograph is on a distinguished road

That's great, thank you
Cerbograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #17
Alpaca

digifate is on a distinguished road

Does this link still work? My browser can't get to it :/
digifate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011   #18
Alpaca

digital paradise is a glorious beacon of lightdigital paradise is a glorious beacon of lightdigital paradise is a glorious beacon of lightdigital paradise is a glorious beacon of lightdigital paradise is a glorious beacon of lightdigital paradise is a glorious beacon of lightdigital paradise is a glorious beacon of lightdigital paradise is a glorious beacon of lightdigital paradise is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1127

Nice work. Very well done.
digital paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011   #19
Alpaca

Hi Digifate, The link is still working... though the site has been a little unstable recently because of a server migration. Let me know if you still can't get it to work!
Old 01-02-2012   #20
Alpaca

gumby1220 is just really very very nicegumby1220 is just really very very nicegumby1220 is just really very very nicegumby1220 is just really very very nicegumby1220 is just really very very nicegumby1220 is just really very very nicegumby1220 is just really very very nicegumby1220 is just really very very nicegumby1220 is just really very very nicegumby1220 is just really very very nicegumby1220 is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 73526
Editing OK?: Yes

Thank you that was a really good read. I am a complete newb that just got my first DSLR

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials »

Share this topic: