PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010   #11
A professional viewpoint.

Ed Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 4982855
Default Re: Facial Analysis in Fine Portraiture- Corrective Techniques

Thanks Jeff and Aaron! Feedback is so important- it helps me write more and better articles.

Jeff- if you have a body of work that your family members are not pleased with, you have a great means of experimentation at your disposal. Even if you can get a few of the to sit for you again, you can apply some of your newly learned methods and see if you can spot the problems and fix them. You never know- some people have a blown-up image of themselves and are sadly surprised if the don't look like movie stars in you images.

In professional and traditional portraiture, it is our job, however, to bring out the "star quality" in each of our subjects to the best of our abilities. After you have made a few new images, perhaps you could post the before and after shots.

If we can pull off some of this kind of participation, we can convert this little tutorial into an on-line Camel workshop where we can all learn by our successes and mistakes.

Thanks again guys- you have made my day! Ed

Last edited by Ed Shapiro; 03-25-2010 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: typos
Ed Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #12
Camel Breath

patterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 4029107
Editing OK?: Yes

Ed
More awesomeness from you.
Thank you greatly.

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #13
Vicuna

popawalker has a brilliant futurepopawalker has a brilliant futurepopawalker has a brilliant futurepopawalker has a brilliant futurepopawalker has a brilliant futurepopawalker has a brilliant futurepopawalker has a brilliant futurepopawalker has a brilliant futurepopawalker has a brilliant futurepopawalker has a brilliant futurepopawalker has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 23358

Once again another excelent tutorial by Ed, good job Ed. The detail contained in this one is very helpful.
Steve
popawalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #14
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

felix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 228901
Editing OK?: No

Great article Ed!
Old 03-29-2010   #15
Vicuna

TexasJeff is just really niceTexasJeff is just really niceTexasJeff is just really niceTexasJeff is just really niceTexasJeff is just really niceTexasJeff is just really nice
CamelKarma: 612
Editing OK?: No

Thanks Ed,
You are right and I will do many reshoots using your guide and I will post some stuff in the not too distant future to my Gallery. In fairness to myself, the "portraits" were not really portrait at all but were shot to fufill the requirements for a class assignment. I delivered what the instructor wanted but not what a client would want, if that makes sense. That said I still don't know much about portraiture and learned a huge amount from that assignment and the study I did after I got my familys feedback.
TJ
Old 03-29-2010   #16
Vicuna

cryokid is just really nicecryokid is just really nicecryokid is just really nicecryokid is just really nicecryokid is just really nice
CamelKarma: 400
Thumbs up Re: Facial Analysis in Fine Portraiture- Corrective Techniques

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and knowledge with us.
cryokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #17
Alpaca

mur_phy is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

not sure about 55 years ago, but certainly close to that time many photographers and probably those that Ed has been around have provided many seminars and even books related to Portraiture. Still available on the internet is the book created by Joe Zeltsman
http://jzportraits.home.att.net/ . Others that presented many seminars of value included Al Gilbert, Monte Zucker (the best known student of Joe's), Don Blair for families, David Ziser who currently has a great instructional blog and many others including Hugh Jacob.

The '70's and '80's were a terrific time to learn as it was a time of many seminars both large and small. Having now been retired for 10 years I'm not totally familiar with what is going on in the photography seminar field but I'd assume PPOC, PPA and WPPI offer lots of information and now with the internet, folks like Ed and others can offer photographers even more info.

Discussion groups such as this one and DPReview offer visual opportunities for photographers to post images and have them discussed, critiqued and adjusted which opens a whole new vista for learning.

Check out the link to Joe Zeltsman to learn about lighting, posing, facial views etc.

another good site for instruction but it is not cheap is PortraNET.com - Learning posing and lighting Online, professional fine portraiture instruction by Ron Kramer

Ron's main site is House of Photography studio and gallery: senior pictures, senior portraits family children baby and wedding photography

I was a bit surprised to see that Ron is now doing some wedding photography. He had dropped it a few years (well quite a few) ago but I'm wondering if a student is actually doing the weddings as I notice somethings that I did not expect him to do such as incorrect facial views, bridal gowns splayed out in front of the bride and a few others. However he is a brilliant photographer and instructor.
mur_phy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #18
Vicuna

0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 1701

Mr Shapiro Thanks you so much for the time you put into helping the new people with your wealth of experience. Very much appreciated.
0ldsch00ld0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011   #19
Alpaca

kyzer is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

Mr Shapiro, thank you for the wealth of the information...on portraiture
kyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #20
Alpaca

johnquist is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 11

Oh great and wise one.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

My mother thanks you.
My father thanks you.
My friends thank you.
My family thanks you.
And I thank you.

Thank you, thank you very much....

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials »

Share this topic: