Need More Participation I'm all but one forum
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2017   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 413143
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Need More Participation I'm all but one forum

I'm not a prolific poster, so I'm part of the problem too.
Photocamel used to be a much better place to discuss photos, learn, receive and give critique and grow as a photographer. A few years ago you could post a photo and recurve a number of we'll thought out critiques within a day or two. You could browse one of the categories, comment on a photo or two, get some inspiration and come back the next day and there was a whole new set of photos to look at and discuss. Now (unless it's the bird forum) there's nothing new to see in any given category even two weeks latter. I think part of the problem is that too many people have thin skin and get insulted when they're critiqued resulting in good critiquers leaving and not wanting to deal with drama and photos looking to improve leaving due to lack of feedback and vanilla feedback that lacks any analysis of the photo.
I don't know what the answer is, but we need some fresh blood.

eosxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2182617
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Need More Participation I'm all but one forum

I agree this used to be a much livelier forum. Things seemed to go downhill when Ed and Benji got tired of being harassed by people more interested in drama than photography and essentially left. There was a gentleman from Las Vegas on the Glamour Forum who also got tired of the drama and left.

Photography is a form of personal expression, one we all use to some extent for validation from others. But there is always a lot of ego in these areas and eventually that can ruin things.

This just seems to be the natural progression of on line photography forums, clicks invariably form, people hurt others' feelings and get theirs hurt in turn. I saw it happen at dpreview before I came here, Model Mayhem is essentially dead. Flickr seems to do OK but it's not a forum really.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions »

Share this topic: