September Still Life Challenge #44- Items Well Loved Showing Age and Wear
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Still Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 986667
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default September Still Life Challenge #44- Items Well Loved Showing Age and Wear

Items that show they are/were used and loved, show the signs of their age and/or regular use by their owner.

Old 09-02-2013   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1201355
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: September Still Life Challenge #44- Items Well Loved Showing Age and Wear

This sounds like a very interesting topic for our challenge!
Jim
Jim Milby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #3
Dromedary

Default Re: September Still Life Challenge #44- Items Well Loved Showing Age and Wear

My precious Ovation guitar bought used in downtown Tokyo in 1994. There aren't too many cedar top classical Ovations. It has seen a lot of use through hot and humid weather that then becomes cold and dry in the winter. That is very bad for a guitar. The sound board is getting hairline cracks that you can see in the shot.

20130912 -001 2x3.jpg

I included the model and registration for Paul. I thought he may have some interest.

20130912 -002E 3x2.jpg

This proved more difficult than I expected. I couldn't find a background large enough in our very little house. The curtains had to do. I tried to get a reflection in the shape of the guitar on the background but you can see I didn't succeed very well. Normally, I would say it was a good learning experience but since I don't know what went wrong I can't say I learned anything! Brooks help me out here.
Thanks for the c&c. Jim
Old 09-11-2013   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 986667

Jim,
Thanks for the submission. That is a great looking cedar topped guitar. Sorry I can't help you with your technical question. I was wondering if my topic may have killed the monthly challenge. I haven't had a chance to devote time for submission yet. Hopefully we will get more.
Mumbo Jumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 6775162

I'm looking for something that will fit in this forum. Besides myself I can't find anything showing age and wear yet but I'm still looking . Don't shut it down just yet
MrsMossMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013   #6
Dromedary

Thanks, Bob.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post
I was wondering if my topic may have killed the monthly challenge. I haven't had a chance to devote time for submission yet. Hopefully we will get more.
This is a general enough theme for the challenge that a lot could work... an old watch, pair of boots, well used book, etc. I just wanted to do the guitar because of sentimental reasons.

I suspect that if I had a wide angle shot of my set up I would see the bright spot on the right actually was the cut out guitar shape I taped to the mirror. The problem is I used only one light with a mirror to light the background. The background was purposely further back for light fall off. The result was the reflection on the background was very large. I probably only used the bottom of the reflected guitar sound box.

Jim
Old 09-12-2013   #7
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMossMaster View Post
I'm looking for something that will fit in this forum. Besides myself I can't find anything showing age and wear yet but I'm still looking . Don't shut it down just yet
I could do a self portrait!
I'm sure you have something like an old wedding ring set, favorite hat, tea cup set.... Find your subject and then just "dress it up" with some interesting light and supporting items.
Jim
Old 09-12-2013   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 5883836

Love the full size image and the closeup of you guitar Jim, really, really do.
The sad news for me is I got a nasty cut on my left index finger a few weeks back and severed a nerve so my playing days are over. It may become less sensitive with time but the numbness is forever. Oh well I was never destined for musical greatness anyway!

I have been playing with a shot for this challenge but I don't have the light right just yet. I'll keep working at it.
palters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013   #9
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by palters View Post
Love the full size image and the closeup of you guitar Jim, really, really do.
Thanks.

Quote:
The sad news for me is I got a nasty cut on my left index finger a few weeks back and severed a nerve so my playing days are over. It may become less sensitive with time but the numbness is forever. Oh well I was never destined for musical greatness anyway!
Sorry to hear of your accident. I assume it was work related. Without feeling in your left index finger you won't be able to feel the strings for runs or a good sound. You may still be able to do bar chords. Chet Atkins had to adjust latter in life. He knew the difference in sound but the average person was clueless.
Quote:
I have been playing with a shot for this challenge but I don't have the light right just yet. I'll keep working at it.
I'll be waiting for the shot. What type of subject is it? Lighting will follow the story you want to tell.
Jim
Old 09-12-2013   #10
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Editing OK?: Ask First

That's a nice shot of your guitar, Jim. Getting a guitar shaped glow on the background is not an easy thing. You could try to make a guitar shaped gobo and shine light. Maybe just a few gridded spots to create a round glow and a linear slash of light would work.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Still Life »

Share this topic: