Sony DSC F-828
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Sony

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 105
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Sony DSC F-828

Anyone using this camera?

Canon 5D, Canon 5DSr, Canon 16-35 mm f/4 L USM EF, Canon 24-105 f/4.0 L USM IS EF, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L MK II USM IS EF, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM EF macro, Canon 2x Mk III converter, Canon 580 EX II flash, Yonghuo 568EX II flash, Sigma EM-140 DG EO-ETTL Macro Flash, Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 tripod with MHXPRO-BHQ2 ballhead. Manfrotto 790B Monopod.
boristhemoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Sony DSC F-828

I used several Sony compact cameras. They all take great pictures, although too "sharp" for some. Why are you considring this?
HalfPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #3
Llama

I would hardly call this a compact camera, I wish!
I do have one and am not exactly thrilled with the results.
I would be keen to know what others think of it in terms of usability, but more importantly in terms of quality, especially when compared with the Digital Rebel (D30 I think) and the canon Powershot.
Canon 5D, Canon 5DSr, Canon 16-35 mm f/4 L USM EF, Canon 24-105 f/4.0 L USM IS EF, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L MK II USM IS EF, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM EF macro, Canon 2x Mk III converter, Canon 580 EX II flash, Yonghuo 568EX II flash, Sigma EM-140 DG EO-ETTL Macro Flash, Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 tripod with MHXPRO-BHQ2 ballhead. Manfrotto 790B Monopod.
Old 08-18-2005   #4
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002

I don't have a F-828 - I remember reviews all taked about some purple fringing, is this still an issue?

I have a Sony DSC-F525V which was my first ever digital camera - god that was expensive in 2001 :-\ Despite the lack of pixels it could produce pretty good A4 prints.

Unfortunately, I'm about to sell it on eBay - lucky if I get 100 UKP, but ce la vie I suppose.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 14

I own a 717 and 828 as well as a Canon 10D. Happy with both the Sonys. Yes the 828 is prone to some PF in occasional certain conditions* (extreme lighting) but nothing that can't be easily fixed with one click in the post processing and I'm very happy with the quality of photos it produces.

What issues are you having with your 828?

In terms of use, you get the best results not relying on auto settings. Auto settings are great up to a point but to get the best out of any camera (and especially the 82, a good working knowledge of all the settings and then actually using them, really makes a huge difference. I used auto settings a lot with my 717* so I was in for a shock when I first got my 828. Down the track, I'm confident shooting fully manual with the 828. The experimenting was worthwhile and it gave me an easy entry into DSLR.

Cheers Ko.

thekoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #6
Llama

Well so far I haven't used it manually, partly cos I haven't found out where the light meter is!
The purple fringe I deal with with a PShop action which I run on each file. I'm trying to find a way of doing it during the conversion from RAW to JPG and will get there eventually.
I think my main gripe is the fact that despite the low F value, I never seem to have enough light to get sharp pictures. I know I'm not stable on handheld shots, but sometimes on a reasonably bright day I don't seem to even get above 200th sec.
Hence a lot of my results are not pin sharp.
That's the main gripe cos apart from that I love the camera.
Old 08-26-2005   #7
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhemoggy
The purple fringe I deal with with a PShop action which I run on each file. I'm trying to find a way of doing it during the conversion from RAW to JPG and will get there eventually.
How much purple fringing do you get? I might get some in perhaps 1 in 100 photos and only then if I have extreme light conditions which cause this effect to appear on say tree branches etc.* That doesn't sound right if you get it all the time, unless of course you shoot* constantly in these light conditions .

I don't shoot raw with the Sony(but I do with my Canon 10D)..I find it too slow and cumbersome so I can't help you with the conversion.

Quote:
I think my main gripe is the fact that despite the low F value, I never seem to have enough light to get sharp pictures. I know I'm not stable on handheld shots, but sometimes on a reasonably bright day I don't seem to even get above 200th sec.
Hence a lot of my results are not pin sharp.
That's the main gripe cos apart from that I love the camera.
I haven't had a problem as such in reasonable light conditions with the 828 but in low light with the camera in P mode, you will find it sets a much slower shutter speed* than say the 717 does.The green fully auto mode works much better with shutter speed in low light conditions but then you can't adjust any other setting so that's useless and I refuse to use it for that reason.* Try using the shutter priority mode and set your shutter speed yourself and see what results you get. If the 828 isn't giving you the shutter speeds you want in P mode, this is the only other option other than going fully manual.

Cheers Ko
thekoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 708

Hello boristhemoggy,

I purchased a Sony DSC F-828 about a year ago. This has been my entry camera into photography. It certainly is not a DSLR but it can capture great photos.
As thekoala posted earlier purple fringing occurs but in extreme light condition and is easily dealt with in Pshop.
I usually shoot people/portrait. I get tack sharp photos when shooting aperture priority mode and center AF.

Good luck
Andy D.
Old 04-15-2006   #9
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1469207

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoala
Try using the shutter priority mode and set your shutter speed yourself and see what results you get. If the 828 isn't giving you the shutter speeds you want in P mode, this is the only other option other than going fully manual.
I know it's counterintuitive, but you might try shooting in aperture priority mode instead with the lens wide open. That will give you the fast shutter speed you can get at the current light level and ISO setting that won't underexpose the picture.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #10
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 788
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Well so far I haven't used it manually, partly cos I haven't found out where the light meter is!
I think my main gripe is the fact that despite the low F value, I never seem to have enough light to get sharp pictures.
This is an old thread, but just in case anyone needs to know, the meter on the 828 is shown at the bottom right of the viewfinder/LCD screen. Its the EV setting. "Perfect" metering is when its at 0EV. Minus values are underexposed, and Plus values are overexposed.

Since the lowest ISO on the 828 is 64, you might have to bump it up to 100 or 200 to good shutter speeds, even with the fast lens.

Although I mostly use my D70 now, I can't bear to get rid of the 828. It is a little smaller that a DSLR, and very capable in many circumstances.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Sony »

Share this topic: