PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Sony

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011   #1
Alpaca

sniper3450 is a jewel in the roughsniper3450 is a jewel in the roughsniper3450 is a jewel in the roughsniper3450 is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 338
Angry A77 compatability with Minolta lenses...

I used to be a die hard Sony user... that is until they dropped the old Alpha line for the new Alpha line cameras. I mean "dropped" like a hammer! I was attempting to build a solid line of cameras for my business, but now I can't even find a dealer that carries any of the old line that I like.

The A77 sounds good, but is it compatible with my whole arsenal of Minolta lenses? Sounds as if Sony would rather stiff GOOD customers for the sake of a few bucks and leave us high and dry scampering to come up with enough money to replace the aging (but still wonderfully functional) Alpha line cameras and A-mount lenses. What is this I hear about a chip incorporation into the "new" lenses?

Shame on you SONY!

Old 11-28-2011   #2
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 810509
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: A77 compatability with Minolta lenses...

Hi Hyve you checked www.dyxum.com there is more knowledge on sony equipment ?
Old 11-29-2011   #3
Vicuna

SSScottSS is just really very very niceSSScottSS is just really very very niceSSScottSS is just really very very niceSSScottSS is just really very very niceSSScottSS is just really very very niceSSScottSS is just really very very niceSSScottSS is just really very very niceSSScottSS is just really very very niceSSScottSS is just really very very niceSSScottSS is just really very very niceSSScottSS is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 39659

I recently purchased an A65. The only true Minolta lens I still have is my beer-can 70-210, but it appears to be working well so far.
SSScottSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #4
Seawolf66

I think canon did that a long time ago also going from FD to EF lenses
Old 11-30-2011   #5
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Most brands do change the Mount or compatibilty . They think that whoever buys a expensive camera shure wants to have shiny new lenses with it .
Old 11-30-2011   #6
Llama

Lonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 276607
Editing OK?: No

You are getting bad info. You'll be fine. The A77/A65 is compatible with all of your old AF minolta A-mount lenses.

The only known issues with Sony's SLT cameras are with Sigma lenses. However, sigma will rechip their lenses if you return them to Sigma.
Lonnie Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #7
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie Utah View Post
You are getting bad info. You'll be fine. The A77/A65 is compatible with all of your old AF minolta A-mount lenses.

The only known issues with Sony's SLT cameras are with Sigma lenses. However, sigma will rechip their lenses if you return them to Sigma.
Why does my minolta 18-100 not work on my alpha 100 ?
Old 11-30-2011   #8
Llama

Lonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 276607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
Why does my minolta 18-100 not work on my alpha 100 ?
How should I know? Have you ever taken it in to be serviced??

As far as I can tell tho, minolta has never made a 18-100 (they've made an 18-200 DT lens, but not a 18-100...)
Lonnie Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #9
Vicuna

sj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 224322

Minolta made a 28-100 a few years back, maybe 8 or 9 years ago. It should work fine. I know all of my much older Minolta lenses work just fine on the new Sony's. All of my first generation (1985) Minolta Maxxum lenses work without any problems at all, even the crossed x version which was the first run ones before they had to stop using the crossed x's because it was too close to Exxon's trademark.

The a77 still uses the "A" mount and is backwards compatible with all of the Minolta legacy lenses. I know there are some 3rd party lenses that don't work right.
sj_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #10
Photocamel Master

this lens does not work on my A100 with 1.04 firmware not in m mode on body nor in a mode

Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Sony »

Share this topic: