PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Sony

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011   #1
Alpaca

zankej is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10
Default Can the a230 'release without lens'?

Hello all,

I am very new at photography and was considering buying a manual lens for my a230 since the price was right for what I wanted. I was reading reviews that say you have to set the shutter to release without lens, but I don't know how to do this.
Is it possible? I've gone over the manual and googled endlessly to try and find out if I can, but I haven't found a thing regarding it.
So, can I do this and how?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-22-2011   #2
Vicuna

NeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 7562
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Can the a230 'release without lens'?

According to this document - a230 manual - http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4147790121.pdf

No lens attached. Shutter is
locked.
• The lens is not attached properly,
or the lens is not attached.
• When attaching the camera to an
astronomical telescope or
something similar, set the
recording mode to M.

Then setting camera to manual will work
http://www.purestorm.com/imagineers
NeilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011   #3
Alpaca

Setting the camera to manual focus will allow it to work?
Sorry, like I said I am VERY new at all of this.
zankej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011   #4
Vicuna

NeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud ofNeilG has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 7562
Editing OK?: Ask first

That's how I read it.

Neil
http://www.purestorm.com/imagineers
NeilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011   #5
Alpaca

Alrighty.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2011   #6
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 810509
Editing OK?: Ask First

but you need a lens to take a photo..
Old 09-23-2011   #7
Alpaca

of course you need a lens to take a photo.
the lens i was thinking about getting is manual, so the camera apparently doesn't recognize it when attached. however, if you set the camera to 'release without lens', it will take the picture.
i'm trying to figure out if the a230 is able to release without the lens.
Old 09-24-2011   #8
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 810509
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by zankej View Post
of course you need a lens to take a photo.
the lens i was thinking about getting is manual, so the camera apparently doesn't recognize it when attached. however, if you set the camera to 'release without lens', it will take the picture.
i'm trying to figure out if the a230 is able to release without the lens.
Well there is only one solution to try it BEFORE THE BUY.

when you buying second hand most people do nt have a problem as long as you ask it in advance
Old 09-25-2011   #9
Vicuna

sj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsj_gordon strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 224322
Editing OK?: No

Just set the dial to "M" for manual and it will work fine. My son has the a230 and we use old manual lenses all the time on it.

As a nice bonus the metering still works, so once you set the aperture on the lens and are adjusting the shutter speed, it will show you where the exposure is on the meter along the bottom of the viewfinder as you are looking through it.
sj_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #10
Llama

Lonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 276607
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
but you need a lens to take a photo..
Um, no you don't.

Create your own pinhole 'lens' for your SLR camera | Pixiq

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Sony »

Share this topic: