PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Sony Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011   #1
Bactrian

CanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 241449
Editing OK?: Yes
Default NEX-7

I am looking at a new travel camera. Light weight, but still enough camera so when I get home I can work the images in Photoshop.

I shoot RAW.

So I was thinking of the following,

• NEX-7
  • 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens (the default lens that will be on the body)
  • 16mm f2.8 Wide-Angle
  • 55-210mm Zoom Lens

Including batteries and media, all in, it should be around 2.5 lbs.

Nice and light, which is the way I like to travel.

What do you think?

My Work (as posted in PC)

My Website
http://www.canadianrocky.com/

My blog
http://canadianrockyblog.blogspot.com/
All my images are ©anadianRocky
CanadianRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Rense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 6978310
Default Re: NEX-7

no 18-200 zoom?

[5D][50D][20D][G10][EFS 10-22][Sigma 12-24][Sigma 15][EF 17-40][Sigma 20][TSE 24][EF 24-105][Tamron 28-75][EF 28-300][Sigma 30][EF 50;f/1.4][EF 50;f/1.8][MP-E65][EF 70-200 f/4][Sigma 70-200 f/2.8][EF 70-300DO][EF 85 f/1.8][Samyang 85mm f/1.4][EF80-200][EF 100 Macro][Sigma 105][EF 135 f/2.0][EF 135 f/2.8SF][Tamron 180mm macro][EF 200 f/2.8][Bigma][Tamron TC1.4x][580EX][420EX (2x)][M24EX][STE-2][for a complete list, click here http://www.raphoto.nl/Gear/index.html][CPS Europe member]
Rense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #3
Llama

Lonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 276607
Editing OK?: No

If you are going to get an NEX 7, then adapt legacy lenses and use manual focus....
Lonnie Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #4
Bactrian

CanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorCanadianRocky strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rense View Post
no 18-200 zoom?
There is a 27-300 (3.5-6.3) but it weights 18.5 oz and that puts it heavier than I want for the camera and default lens and I don't think it will be wide enough for the "standard" lens I want

My thinking is that the wider I go with the standard lens the closer I will be to getting the shot I want, even if I have to enlarge it to get the crop. The other side of it, is that if the lens is not wide enough, there is nothing I can do in PS to get the material that is not in the image. I would be forced to either switch lenses, or shoot and stitch.

And with the 16mm 2.8 I will have a fast lens and if I shoot RAW, then I have something nice to work with when I get home. I also think that this might end up being on the camera more often than not. Light, fast and wide.

It is 24.3 megapixel and has a lot of very nice features.

I have not had one in my hand yet. I will do that the next time I am in a major center.

My Website

My blog
Old 12-02-2011   #5
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie Utah View Post
If you are going to get an NEX 7, then adapt legacy lenses and use manual focus....
That is a thought.

My Website

My blog
Old 12-03-2011   #6
Camel Breath

Rense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRocky View Post
There is a 27-300 (3.5-6.3) but it weights 18.5 oz and that puts it heavier than I want for the camera and default lens and I don't think it will be wide enough for the "standard" lens I want

My thinking is that the wider I go with the standard lens the closer I will be to getting the shot I want, even if I have to enlarge it to get the crop. The other side of it, is that if the lens is not wide enough, there is nothing I can do in PS to get the material that is not in the image. I would be forced to either switch lenses, or shoot and stitch.

And with the 16mm 2.8 I will have a fast lens and if I shoot RAW, then I have something nice to work with when I get home. I also think that this might end up being on the camera more often than not. Light, fast and wide.

It is 24.3 megapixel and has a lot of very nice features.

I have not had one in my hand yet. I will do that the next time I am in a major center.
Hi Rocky, I was talking about this lens (524g).

[5D][50D][20D][G10][EFS 10-22][Sigma 12-24][Sigma 15][EF 17-40][Sigma 20][TSE 24][EF 24-105][Tamron 28-75][EF 28-300][Sigma 30][EF 50;f/1.4][EF 50;f/1.8][MP-E65][EF 70-200 f/4][Sigma 70-200 f/2.8][EF 70-300DO][EF 85 f/1.8][Samyang 85mm f/1.4][EF80-200][EF 100 Macro][Sigma 105][EF 135 f/2.0][EF 135 f/2.8SF][Tamron 180mm macro][EF 200 f/2.8][Bigma][Tamron TC1.4x][580EX][420EX (2x)][M24EX][STE-2][for a complete list, click here http://www.raphoto.nl/Gear/index.html][CPS Europe member]
Old 12-03-2011   #7
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRocky View Post
That is a thought.
Please do consider it. If you ever come to Holland there are quite a few M42 lenses waiting for you to play with .

Old 12-03-2011   #8
Llama

Lonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLonnie Utah strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

I'm telling you, given the quality on the NEX7 sensor, the only way to get the most out of the sensor is using legacy MF lenses.

It's sensor is on par with the best DSLR's from the competition.

DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

While the e-mount lenses are adequate, to get the most out of this camera it's almost imperative to use MF lenses. Leica lenses do very well on the NEX system. With the peaking focus, it's very easy to do. Some to consider...

Voigtländer 12/5.6 (wide)
Contax G 28/2.8 (sharp, nice rendering)
Voigtländer 35/1.2 (low light, normal)
Konica Hexanon 57/1.2 (low light, portraits)
Contax S-Planar 60/2.8 Macro (short 1:1 macro)
Nikkor AI-S 105/2.5 (compact short tele)
Voigtländer 125/2.5 Macro (longer 1:1 macro, short tele)
Micro Nikkor 70-180 (allround macro tele)
Rokkor RF 250/5.6 (ultracompact tele)

You should also look at Olympus OM lenses. Small, good optics and not very expensive.
Lonnie Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #9
F1 Camel

bobobird strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorbobobird strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorbobobird strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorbobobird strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorbobobird strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorbobobird strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorbobobird strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorbobobird strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorbobobird strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorbobobird strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorbobobird strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 4090689

Is the NEX 7 now available?

As for legacy lens - yup that's the way to go.
bobobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #10
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobird View Post
Is the NEX 7 now available?
Soon. Production has been restarted and they are trying to get up to speed on the pre orders. Apparently there were about 4 times the amount of pre-orders than Sony expected (that says something right there). That, and the floods in Thailand were a double whammy on availability.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Sony Forum »

Share this topic: