Sigma 100-400mm C
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Sigma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2017   #1
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 8232926
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Sigma 100-400mm C

Just received this lens yesterday. Bought it to use on the 6D. Have the custom functions set, but haven't had time to really fine tune focus. Lots of people complaining about no tripod collar, but I mounted mine with tripod attached to battery grip and had no problems. Mine will be used hand held 90% of the time. Looks like Sigma has done a good job with this lens.

Canon 70D
Canon T3i
Misc. Canon Lenses
Sigma 150-600mm C
Sigma 100-400mm C
Samyang 8mm Fisheye
greenjeans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1410991
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Sigma 100-400mm C

A lot to be said for tripod collars with long, heavy lenses:

* The body-lens balances a lot better on the tripod head, with no special tendency to point downward.
* Verticals are a lot easier to shoot because the tripod socket is still on the bottom of the assembly instead of being on one side.
* Transitions between horizontal and vertical are a lot faster and easier: just loosen the collar, rotate the camera body, and tighten. No adjustment to the tripod settings are necessary and the camera's aim is largely undisturbed.

However, since you will be using this lens mostly without a tripod (I assume it has the OS (Optical Stabilization) feature?) the tripod collar would be of less importance than otherwise. I have the Sigma 150-500 mm f/5-6.3 OS that I have also used without a tripod, but I wouldn't want to do that a lot with such a big and heavy lens.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017   #3
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
A lot to be said for tripod collars with long, heavy lenses:

* The body-lens balances a lot better on the tripod head, with no special tendency to point downward.
* Verticals are a lot easier to shoot because the tripod socket is still on the bottom of the assembly instead of being on one side.
* Transitions between horizontal and vertical are a lot faster and easier: just loosen the collar, rotate the camera body, and tighten. No adjustment to the tripod settings are necessary and the camera's aim is largely undisturbed.

However, since you will be using this lens mostly without a tripod (I assume it has the OS (Optical Stabilization) feature?) the tripod collar would be of less importance than otherwise. I have the Sigma 150-500 mm f/5-6.3 OS that I have also used without a tripod, but I wouldn't want to do that a lot with such a big and heavy lens.
I have the 150-600mm C, also and use it with a heavy duty Manfrotto tripod, usually on my 70D. The OS is really good on both these lenses. I have them set to Dynamic rather than Standard and it is rock steady.
Misc. Canon Lenses
Sigma 150-600mm C
Sigma 100-400mm C
Samyang 8mm Fisheye
Old 07-01-2017   #4
Photocamel Master

A couple of shots with the 6D.
Misc. Canon Lenses
Sigma 150-600mm C
Sigma 100-400mm C
Samyang 8mm Fisheye
Old 07-03-2017   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 46647337

That's looking good - really interested in seeing how this lens goes as it could work a treat on my Olympus M1
woollyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017   #6
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by woollyback View Post
That's looking good - really interested in seeing how this lens goes as it could work a treat on my Olympus M1
Very pleased so far after working with it for several days. I adjusted MFA in camera to +3 on both ends and it seems to be dead on.

Canon 70D
Canon T3i
Misc. Canon Lenses
Sigma 150-600mm C
Sigma 100-400mm C
Samyang 8mm Fisheye

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Sigma »

Share this topic: