PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Sigma Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011   #1
Dromedary

BobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1470305
Default Sigma lens error message

I have had my Sigma 18-50 2.8 EX Macro HSM lens for over a year with no issues. Its mounted on my Nikon D90. When i put it on the the other day I got an F-- error. I fooled around with it a bit and found when I turn it back slightly (clockwise) the message goes away and I can shoot fine again. It seems though when you use the zoom sometimes it turns the lens just enough you get the F-- again. I thought this may be the D90 body but have no issues with other lenses. I mounted the Sigma on my old D50 and get the same error code.

Any idea what the issue is and how to fix it? Or will I need to return this to Sigma for repair?

As a man thinks, so he is
My Flickr
BobC164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011   #2
Camel Breath

Steven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 987485
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Sigma lens error message

Sounds to me like a contacts issue. Dirty or loose connections are causing the camera and lens to loose communication with each other.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011   #3
Dromedary

BobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobC164 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1470305

How do I clean the contacts? If that doesn't work I guess i'll have to send it for repair?

As a man thinks, so he is
My Flickr
BobC164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011   #4
Vicuna

mikethompson strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormikethompson strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormikethompson strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormikethompson strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormikethompson strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormikethompson strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormikethompson strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormikethompson strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormikethompson strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormikethompson strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormikethompson strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 241683

Use a standard pencil eraser over both lense and camera comtacts. Be careful not to have any rubbin drop into the camera chamber though.

Some people use a alchol type solvent and rub the lense and camera contacts with that.

Try the lense on another body, or other lenses on the same body to find out if its a lens or body issue, and look at having it repaired when you find out.
Old 10-23-2011   #5
Camel Breath

Steven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 987485

First, remove the lens and examine the contacts carefully with a magnifying glass. The contacts are spring loaded (for lack of a better term) so they keep in physical contact with the corresponding ones in the camera mount. Look to see that they are uniform and none of them are distorted in shape or smashed down. Also, check the finish for particles of dust or dirt that may be interfering, or for oxidation that may have formed. Something simple as a light brushing might clear it. A cotton swab moistened with alcohol maybe. If the metal is oxidized, a light burnishing with a clean pencil eraser will remove it. Exercise great care that you do nothing that will put contaminants into the lens. Your rear cap should be in place when the lens is removed from the camera.

While you are looking at the lens base it would also be a good time to check for any other irregularities like loose screws and other attachments.

Steve

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is online now   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Sigma Forum »

Share this topic: