PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits > Professional Portrait Critique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012   #1
Vicuna

sukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 381509
Default Business portrait

The future Mrs Sukkert's new business portrait.

D7000
Focal length 105
F 5.6
1/250

SB 800 camera right into shoot through umbrella
SB 80 camera left into shoot through umbrella for fill
SB 700 gelled with a CTO behind subject on tripod for rim
processed in Lightroom

Thank you for your time

sukkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

zemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 5544661
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Business portrait

<deleted>
Didn't notice that this was the PRO corner.
zemlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #3
Llama

dgdphoto has a reputation beyond reputedgdphoto has a reputation beyond reputedgdphoto has a reputation beyond reputedgdphoto has a reputation beyond reputedgdphoto has a reputation beyond reputedgdphoto has a reputation beyond reputedgdphoto has a reputation beyond reputedgdphoto has a reputation beyond reputedgdphoto has a reputation beyond reputedgdphoto has a reputation beyond reputedgdphoto has a reputation beyond repute
CamelKarma: 32454
Editing OK?: No

Professional critique only.
dgdphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #4
Vicuna

sukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsukkert strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
Too much rim, too much retouch on the eyes, and I'd say your fill is too strong - the lighting is flat. Her face and the pose looks like she's in the middle of saying something. If you want a casual pose, I think it would look better if she were listening and not talking.
Thanks for the tips Zemlin. The rim is pretty easy to fix next go around, I can just back off on the power. Quick question on the flat light, looking at the catch lights would you say I need to move the main further to the side of the subject in addition to reducing the fill?
Old 02-13-2012   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

zemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 5544661

<deleted>
zemlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #6
Camel Breath

patterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3731824

This is the Pro Portrait Critique subforum

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #7
Photocamel Master

Benji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 571490
Editing OK?: No

Business portraits are a different breed of portraits than are portraits for family and friends. Business portraits must convey to the viewer what the viewer expects to see in relation to the occupation of the subject. For example lets say the subject is a realtor. The portrait must convey to the viewer that I am friendly, efficient and I will be able to sell your home quickly. Or lets say the portrait is of an attorney. This portrait must convey that I am a bulldog and if you hire me I will going after the no good son-of-a-gun you want to sue and I will get a good settlement for you. This is done in posing, expression and lighting. If the above subject is an optomotrist you came pretty close to the goal with a few exceptions.

Critique of the above portrait: Excellent white balance and the background forces us to look at the subject. Good job getting detail in the black sweater. The back lighting on her hair is more suited for a glamour portrait. Her hand looks odd and out of place and she is giving us the finger. The extreme angle of her body emphasizes her large breasts and the image is flat lit. Her eyes have that "deer caught in the headlights" look due to the large size of her pupils. I suggest using a strong light aimed at her eyes to close the pupils down. I have my assistant hold my old policeman's flashlight and aimed directly into her eyes to keep them small and colorful.

Lastly she is quite attractive. You are one lucky man.

Benji
In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. Prov 28:23
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #8
A professional viewpoint.

Ed Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 4891735
Editing OK?: Ask first

I don't mind the slightly hot hair lights. Oftentimes the ladies don't mind a little glamor in their business portraits. I would shoot a few on the glamorous side and some more on the "business/professional" side because I end up getting orders for personal use as well as the standard business shot.

The side on pose is not the best as to rendition of the upper body and causes the subject to twist her neck too much. The facial lighting is a bit flat and heavily over retouched. You need more directional light and perhaps some feathering to deliver a better skin texture.

I used to do all my business portraits with very somber expressions but the trend is going to "friendly and approachable". Even a tough lawyer may be better off with a smile- the defendant in a lawsuit has to be frightened of a tough legal eagle but NOT the plaintiff. He or she is hiring the lawyer and dose not want to feel intimidated by a tough piece of work who will take him or her to the laundry while he or she is at it.

The hands and arms are poorly posed and positioned and only add a distraction. Note the awkward position of the fingers. When including props, the hands need to be carefully and gracefully posed.

Lately I have photographed some smiling, lawyers, accountants and even undertakers.

Ed
Ed Shapiro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #9
Vicuna

"Her hand looks odd and out of place and she is giving us the finger."

HA HA! Never even noticed this until you pointed it out. Funny how you can spend 30 minutes editing a photo and never see some details. Thank you for your perspective Benji. I will certainly consider these things the next time I shoot.
Old 02-19-2012   #10
Vicuna

"I don't mind the slightly hot hair lights. Oftentimes the ladies don't mind a little glamor in their business portraits. I would shoot a few on the glamorous side and some more on the "business/professional" side because I end up getting orders for personal use as well as the standard business shot."

Ed, I tried some shots with a gel, some with out and some shots with out the hair light at all. I liked the way the rim light gave me separation from the background. I may try pointing the rim at the background next time to see if I like that better. Thank you for taking the time to help me improve.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits > Professional Portrait Critique »

Share this topic: