PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Printing, Matting, and Framing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008   #1
F1 Camel

Eero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 8600280
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Printing at 11x17

I have never printed larger then 8x10.

If my pictures are 4352 x 2868 at 300 dpi (14.5 x 9.56)

If I want to print it at 11x17 size does that mean it needs to be enlarged to 5100x3300?

Or do I just crop to 11x17 aspect and let the photo lab do the enlargement?

Camera EXIF Data below:

Camera: NIKON D300

Manufacturer: NIKON CORPORATION
Image input equipment model: NIKON D300
Image resolution in width direction: 300 dpi
Image resolution in height direction: 300 dpi
Unit of X and Y resolution: inch
Image width: 4352 px
Image height: 2868 px

Photographies des femmes pour les hommes.

Eero Makela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008   #2
KmH
F1 Camel

KmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 6932
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Printing at 11x17

Here is a quote from Adobe, hope it helps. In your case the last paragraph is pertinent:

"The image size (or pixel dimensions) of an image is a measure of the number of pixels along an image’s width and height. For example, your digital camera may take a photo that is 3000 pixels wide and 2000 pixels high. These two measurements have a direct correlation to the image’s file size, and both are an indication of the amount of image data in a photo.
Resolution is the fineness of detail you can see in an image. It is measured in pixels per inch (ppi). The more pixels per inch, the greater the resolution. Generally, the higher the resolution of your image, the better the printed image quality.
Although a digital image contains a specific amount of image data, it doesn’t have a specific physical output size or resolution. As you change the resolution of a file, its physical dimensions change, and as you change the width or height of an image, its resolution changes.

You can see the relationship between image size and resolution in the image size dialog box (choose Image > Resize > Image Size). Deselect Resample Image, because you don’t want to change the amount of image data in your photo. Then change the width or the height or the resolution. As you change one value, the other two values change accordingly.

If you need to print using a specific resolution, or if you want to print an image significantly smaller or larger than the image’s pixel dimensions allow, you can resample the image. Resampling involves either removing or adding pixels to the image to achieve the desired dimensions or resolution".

"If you keep on doing what you have always done, you will keep on getting what you have always gotten."
KmH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008   #3
Bactrian

brice is a glorious beacon of lightbrice is a glorious beacon of lightbrice is a glorious beacon of lightbrice is a glorious beacon of lightbrice is a glorious beacon of lightbrice is a glorious beacon of lightbrice is a glorious beacon of lightbrice is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1054

Let's keep this simple. Crop it to those dimensions, keeping as much of the original image as you can and let the lab do the rest. Don't over think it. I've seen so much about resampling, resizing, pixels, DPI, blah blah blah.

I keep as much of the image as I can with my crops and let the lab worry about it. So far, no problems up to 20X30 from my original Canon Digital Rebel and certainly even less worries from my IIN. I've cropped 75% of a RAW IIN image and still have wonderful 11X14s.

Currently in the third year of a 30 year photography course. Just passed "Remembering to insert battery"
Next class "Don't leave your memory card at home."
brice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #4
Alpaca

georgep is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 22

I try to stay sane by thinking about image pixels and printer resolution this way:

Your camera takes photographs which have 4352 x 2868 pixels. Regardless of how large you print the photograph you can never get more information than you have in those pixels. I am used to people telling me I must use print at 300 dots per inch for good print resolution. (I suspect this comes from the first laser jet printer and might be correct for black and white text printing). “Spreading” your pixels at 300 dpi gives you a maximum size print of 4352/300 = 14.5 x 9.56. If you spread those pixels a little thinner – say at 240 pixels per inch then you can print a larger photograph. 4352/240 = 18.1 inches wide - and the height is 2868/240 = 11.95 inches. I have found that 240 dpi print resolution works very well for most subjects. Larger pictures are normally viewed at longer distances so the fewer pixels/inch has little effect. If the pixels get too spread out on the print then I use software (like Photshop or similar) to “invent” new pixels and “upsize”. On some subjects it might be possible to go down as low as 180 dpi on the printer which gives you a print of 24” x 16” – in theory.

So – as Brice noted – just crop your image to an 11x17 format. The remaining pixels will be spread over that area. You will not have 300 dpi but providing your crop is not too severe you should have plenty of pixels remaining to print a great image.
georgep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Mr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3890222

You can print at 200dpi and it will look good. I'd crop to 11x17 and print what you have. It will be fine. Forget the numbers....
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #6
Camel Breath

jfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by brice View Post
Let's keep this simple. Crop it to those dimensions, keeping as much of the original image as you can and let the lab do the rest. Don't over think it. I've seen so much about resampling, resizing, pixels, DPI, blah blah blah.

I keep as much of the image as I can with my crops and let the lab worry about it. So far, no problems up to 20X30 from my original Canon Digital Rebel and certainly even less worries from my IIN. I've cropped 75% of a RAW IIN image and still have wonderful 11X14s.
This is the way to go!
Old 11-25-2008   #7
Alpaca

georgep is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 22

Agreed - I have had success at 180 dpi. However, the OP needs to have some idea of how many pixels are left after the crop. You are assuming that the majority of the frame remains. I have been caught out when I tried to make a large print after an extensive crop. In that case there just were not enought pixels left to provide detail in a good print. Most software that makes a crop also provides an indication of the final resolution. (Maybe I'm just alergic to "blind" faith. I prefer to have some quality assurance before I make the print - especially if I have to pay money for that print.)
georgep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #8
Camel Breath

jfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
the OP needs to have some idea of how many pixels are left after the crop
Just do the math. The image dimensions after the crop, assuming it was only a crop to change aspect ratio, not resolution, would be 3969x2568. This would be then be sent to the lab for printing at resolution of ~233 pixels per inch. Plenty enough data for the Lab's RIP software to make a fine art print.
Old 11-25-2008   #9
F1 Camel

Eero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Thank you for all the detailed info. OFF to the digital LAB for printing now.

Old 12-16-2008   #10
F1 Camel

I picked up my first 2 11x17 prints from the lab, they look super nice. And as a side note these are my very first digital pictures I have sent out to be done. I have mostly done my own printing at home.

NOTE: what I learned is that when resizing a 300dpi images you need to make sure that you reduce it so it does not re-sample the image

Photographies des femmes pour les hommes.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Printing, Matting, and Framing »

Share this topic: