PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Printing Images

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008   #1
Alpaca

bullshot is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 39
Default Framing 8.5x11 prints

Anyone have suggestions on where to purchase nice looking 8.5x11 frames? It seems like most of my creative paper is 8.5x11 and the only 8.5x11 frames I can find look cheap. I don't mind matting if that is the fix but even that, a custom matting is like $20.00 a piece. Suggestions, comments? Am I missing something here?

Old 03-22-2008   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

cyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1097864
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Framing 8.5x11 prints

I was looking for mattes one time, and could only find them either in 8x10 or 11x14. There weren't any 8.5x11 mattes. The frame situation seems to be similar.
Old 03-22-2008   #3
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane View Post
I was looking for mattes one time, and could only find them either in 8x10 or 11x14. There weren't any 8.5x11 mattes. The frame situation seems to be similar.
I was told on another site that a lot of document frames will hold 8.5x11 prints. The only 8.5x11 mattes I could find were custom made.
bullshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008   #4
Vicuna

siasl69 is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 17

I know ...It's one of those catch-22 thingies---what a waste of paper(and money!) if you do any amount of printing.I don't have an easy answer for you, other than what I do,which is make my own frames.( I own a table saw.) A recent convert to digital,so to speak,I find that the waste involved with the available paper is driving me to distraction.Good luck!
siasl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008   #5
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by siasl69 View Post
I know ...It's one of those catch-22 thingies---what a waste of paper(and money!) if you do any amount of printing.I don't have an easy answer for you, other than what I do,which is make my own frames.( I own a table saw.) A recent convert to digital,so to speak,I find that the waste involved with the available paper is driving me to distraction.Good luck!
My luck, I'd loose a finger on the table saw.

I'm trying to learn to be a better shot, I don't have time to learn frame making too. Although I may have to if I want to frame some of my work.
bullshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #6
Vicuna

psguru is a name known to allpsguru is a name known to allpsguru is a name known to allpsguru is a name known to allpsguru is a name known to allpsguru is a name known to allpsguru is a name known to allpsguru is a name known to allpsguru is a name known to allpsguru is a name known to allpsguru is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 1845
Editing OK?: Ask first

I get my mattes at Hobby Lobby. Use a 11x14 frames and mattes,
with the matte hole cut to 8x10 and there
should be a good variety of them. They usually (at ours anyway) have
"double mattes that run 4.99. Or you can wait till they put their matte
board on sell for 1/2 price and buy big sheets and cut your own and just
buy the frames... (usually what I do)
I have the hand held matte cutter and just clamp my
mattes to a table with scrap pc under and use straight edge and cut
them down. The cutter is about 20.00.
Anyway I find that the 8x10s look much better matted out at 11x14.....
psguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #7
Vicuna

northman93 is a jewel in the roughnorthman93 is a jewel in the roughnorthman93 is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 210

You might try:
Picture Frames and FREE Mats from American Frame

You can choose the sizes you want.

Hope this helps,

Jerry
northman93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #8
ddb
Vicuna

ddb has a spectacular aura aboutddb has a spectacular aura about
CamelKarma: 155
Editing OK?: Ask first

Try this site. They have mattes for 8.5 X 11 prints that fit into a 11 X 14 frames. The prices look good also. Depending upon what kind of frame you want mpix has a nice selection of the plain metal frames like I have always used.

http://www.redimat.com
Mpix.com Online Digital Imaging Service - Order digital photo prints online from professional imaging lab
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #9
Vicuna

BusToBedlam will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 85
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshot View Post
Anyone have suggestions on where to purchase nice looking 8.5x11 frames? It seems like most of my creative paper is 8.5x11 and the only 8.5x11 frames I can find look cheap. I don't mind matting if that is the fix but even that, a custom matting is like $20.00 a piece. Suggestions, comments? Am I missing something here?
Finding frames to hold just an 8.5x11 print can be done. If you have any retail places that carry a decent selection of frames, you will be looking for frames for certificates or documents. They are made at 8.5x11 with no matting and also larger frames like a 12x15 but with a mat. If you are putting photograph into the frame, I would highly recommend having the print matted for a larger frame to keep it off the glass. Doing this will protect the print from damage but also make for a much nicer presentation. You can put the print into a standard and easy to find 11x14 or 12x16 frame and for the mats, get just the size opening for a 8.5x11 print from Redimat.com. They have mats that are 11x14 outside and an opening for an 8.5x11 certificate.
BusToBedlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008   #10
Vicuna

edleg is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 34
Wink Re: Framing 8.5x11 prints

IMHO printing out images fullsize on 8.5x11 paper give the viewer the impression of looking like it came from a home inkjet printer. It comes out to something like a .77 crop ratio.... between a 5x7 and a 8x10. It is close to a 10x13 in crop ratio and slightly less than a 11x14. I really don't like the 10x13 crop ratio and I tolerate the 11x14 for sales between 8x10 and 16x20.

It is an interesting idea if selling 8.5x11 prints, and offering frames, but as soon as you mention the image/frame size the public thinks "cheap, home amateur printer"... even if you are printing on a $10,000 pro inkjet.

With that said, I have used a lot 8.5x11 photo paper, but printed images at 8x10 or 5x7 (2), and trimmed to fit "standard" frames. I even designed photoshop templates to package print on 8.5x11 paper which yielded more wallets, etc., on that size. And I spent one year printing most of my work inhouse on three different Epson printers. But I worried about what would happen if I could not deliver the printing and had to use an outside lab to fullfill orders. I decided to stay with lab standard sizes for "insurance." Now I outsource all of my work to a couple different pro labs and I am happier, my wife it happier, etc.

Just my opinion... not worth any more or less than any one else.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Printing Images »

Share this topic: