Best Print format for photo Exhibition ???
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Printing Images

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2017   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Best Print format for photo Exhibition ???

Hello Guys !
I'm going to make my first photo exhibition this year, and I'm going to need to print 30 pictures.

I've working hard on photography, but un printing I have no experience.

Canvas seems to be much cheaper than Metal Prints, but it is quality ok for printing in big format size ? Does anybody can give some tips about it ? In advance many thanks

Old 05-15-2017   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Best Print format for photo Exhibition ???

I would use the highest Art Print quality Matte paper your printer has available. I would back them on either 2mm Styrene or 3/16" Gatorfoam.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017   #3
Alpaca

Thanks a lot Dude ! I will have a close look to what you say !

Regards !
Tristan Quevilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 400323

Canvas and metal prints draw attention away from the basic photographic quality of a print. Some of us would never use them for an exhibition. If your prints will be unframed, quality matte prints are beautiful. Unfortunately, some of this characteristic is lost when framed behind ordinary glass. Anti-reflection coatings on glass certainly enhance any print, but may be prohibitively expensive for 30 prints. I use ordinary window glass in non-critical venues. Printing everything to the same size with identical mats and frames make a unified exhibit. Also, ordering bulk quantities of mats and frames may save money. Others size, mat, and frame the best way for each print.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017   #5
Alpaca

Thanks a lot for your answer Jim !

Yes I opted for a Matte print which seems to be the best, because it will be a travelling exhibition, and will be handled several times.
I unfortunately had to choose one of the cheapest option, without frames and on a photographic paper. Finally I have 54 photos to print for 1600 Euros. Even if it is the cheapest option, I didn't realize printing was so expensive.

Regards !
Tristan Quevilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

Quality printing is expensive. I do most of my own printing with a high end Epson printer with archival inks and mount them myself. It can be a bit laborious but worth it to me. I use top quality art paper and have profiled my printer to each paper I use.

For those occasions where my printer does not print large enough, I can do up to 17X22, or I want something unique then I send out. It is definitely not for everyone but I like to control my end results.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Printing Images »

Share this topic:

Tags
printing