Where/How to print posters?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Printing Images

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 179
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Unhappy Where/How to print posters?

My kids go to a very small public school that just won the basketball state championship. I've take action and posed shots of their team all season and now the booster club would like to buy them each a poster composite of my photos. They want 15 posters. I've search several professional labs and the going rate for a 24x36"print is around $45, my cost. I'm trying to find a way to do it on poster paper to make them cheaper. I don't want to gouge them, and I don't want them to go to my competitor ( I don't know where they get theirs printed up). I've also thought of offering 1 24x36 print for the coach and 18x24 for the players, but I can't even find a place that offers it on poster paper. Is everyone that offers these getting large size prints and just charging like $100 or more each like my competitor?

If it wasn't for the last minute, I'd get nothing done!
FMNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1107059
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Where/How to print posters?

I believe your talking about a short run litho or precise register offset. Probably would cost you more than $45 per for those. A 24X36 is quite a bit of real estate, it's going to cost. That's a lot of ink and paper.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 901196

Agree with steve . If you do it , there is only one way : D.I.R !

if you save on paper , results will not be great , if you say "oh just print it in the lowest setting " then rather not print it at all.

the paper aint cheap and good ink aint cheap either , and there porobably can be a discoutn if you order those 15 prints at one place .

Do not forget posters are not for pixel peepers , a average poster is bet viewed from a meter or a meter and a half at the least .

i once did this for a couple who got married and a few weeks later the husband died from a very aggressive mussle disease

they were not in the possition to pay for it so i took my Nikon F65 and a good film (kodak chrome professional) and my af 28-80 lens and uv filter , it was autum and i made a photo of him in the wheelchair , all covered with leaves in his wedding suit and the bride in her white dress near a very old tree. The image quality was so good that the largest size was absolutely no problem .. they calculated the "pixels" of the negative (48 MP ) . so the best way is use a film camera and stative and make a few good shots .. if the basis is right you get the results you need
Old 04-08-2012   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1107059

The only place I found that printed 24X36 was Wolf/Ritz and the cost was less than $40. Had it done while I waited. It was an ink jet print produced on an Epson wide carriage printer. I was pleased with the outcome. There are 100 places I'd rather depend on but they were able to accommodate me on short notice. By the way, a 24X36 will not look like a 2"X3" at the same viewing distance. You have to keep in mind the appropriate viewing distance is proportionate to the size of the picture.

Now you know why your competitor charges so much.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 14333
Editing OK?: No

Poster Wide Format - GotPrint

I got a sample pack from them, great bang for your buck IMO.
KA_Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #6
KmH

CamelKarma:

How about $16 for a 24x36 poster:

Print Posters - 18x24 and 24x36 Custom Poster Printing from your digital files.
Old 04-10-2012   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2230

I checked pricing at mpix and they would charge 42.99 for 11 or more 24x36 prints. However they charge for 21.99 for 11+ 20x30 prints. I have had a 20x30 print made by mpix and I got a top quality print. Would you consider a smaller print and would that be in your budget?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2012   #8
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378
Editing OK?: No

Print Posters - 18x24 and 24x36 Custom Poster Printing from your digital files.
Old 04-11-2012   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 606787

I have used the guys Bobby linked to and the quality is good enough for what you are wanting to do. Good prices.

I also recommend Blue Cube Imaging. He has really good quality prints at low prices. He had a sale a few weeks ago and I got 16x20's on glossy photo paper for $6 ea.

Online Printing - Blue Cube Imaging

Keith

http://www.keithfosterphotography.com/
keithdewey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #10
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 18

Our service bureau charges $4 per square foot on 8 mil luster photo paper, printed with pigmented ink on an IPF Canon 9000. 24x36 is 6 square feet, $24 each.
That would not include ups or shipping.
Turn around is 2-3 days. No big deal

email me if this works and I will get you to our ftp site to upload the file. It has to be ready to print. A rgb tiff is fine, 200 dpi.
Remeber big images need good images to start with or we just blow up your issues.

Phil
Billings MT

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Printing Images »

Share this topic: