PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009   #1
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
KellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 45181
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Playing

I own too many flashes. I have two 580 EX II, two 580 EX flash, a Metz 45 Cl, a Metz 45 CL Digital, and a Metz 54 A.

The canon flashes are used when we do weddings. Mark McCall inspired me to get the Metz 45 CL's (got one on ebay for $250....a four hundred dollar savings) and the Metz 54 was considered by Will Crockett to be one of the best flash on the market.

Thinking...good grief Kelly...you need to learn how to use these!...I ordered some of the HonL toys Honl Photo Home Page. Basicall got the gel kits, snoots, a couple of grids, and the velcro attatchments. I decided to do this after reading "Light Shoe Diaries" by Joe McNally...who I think was probably one of the original strobists...after reading his stuff. He doesn't claim that, but he was doing strobist work long before it became a buzz word.

So I went up to the studio and started playing with my flash units. I used the Metz 45 with a blue gel for the background, used a Metz 45 with a small umbrella and a tungsten gel, and threw in a 580 EX with a red gel at the end.

Then I grabbed a kid who was walking by the studio after taking a few shots of myself and realizing that it wasn't very fun. I paid him $5.00.

Anyway, I was very happy! I know these aren't stellar shots, but they are a beginning and a new direction in which to go. I have never used gels out of fear...and I am just know beginning to understand the value of kickers...they are very valuable.

These are just to show what I am up to.

Talk to me about mixing colors and how to use kickers.

I set the camera to tungsten WB. McNally says it is good, and it increases the depth of the blue. I then saturated the blue just a bit more in ACR.

File Type: jpg IMG_0438.jpg (109.9 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0439.jpg (109.7 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0440.jpg (105.3 KB, 183 views)

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #2
Camel Breath

KellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very nice
Default Re: Playing

In the first one, you can tell that I have the flash too far off to camera right. In the next ones I moved the flash behind the boy. I don't even know what his name is. I didn't monkey with the flesh tones too much, as I was more concerned with how to use these new toys. I think they offer great potential. Now I need to learn how to set them so they have the luminance or specularity that I am aiming for.

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
Old 04-12-2009   #3
Camel Breath

Rain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 10740088

Kelly, I don't know what you are after here, as far as commenting and critique. Plus I don't know about using multiple lights. Are these colors set just so you can distinguish what the lights are doing, so they'll stand out more?

I think the red one is way too harsh, even if it was just a flash without gel. It picks up every shadow from collar, etc. But I think that is what you are after, suggestions on how to set it for the strength and direction you need, is that right?
Old 04-12-2009   #4
Camel Breath

Well, one, I was excited to get this kind of lighting from my flash units.

Mainly, I need to understand that kicker light. How to use it and which direction it is to come from and how much is too much. Of course, a lot of that is dependent on what effect you are going for.

Old 04-12-2009   #5
Camel Breath

Rain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 10740088

I get it. I'll be watching this thread to learn something too.
Old 04-12-2009   #6
Llama

LadyShutterbug has much to be proud ofLadyShutterbug has much to be proud ofLadyShutterbug has much to be proud ofLadyShutterbug has much to be proud ofLadyShutterbug has much to be proud ofLadyShutterbug has much to be proud ofLadyShutterbug has much to be proud ofLadyShutterbug has much to be proud ofLadyShutterbug has much to be proud ofLadyShutterbug has much to be proud ofLadyShutterbug has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 10249
Editing OK?: Ask first

Funny that you grabbed a kid walking by! I like the blue on the bricks. I don't know anything about multiple lights either, so I'll have to watch and read as well. Good luck!
LadyShutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

oldugly strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoroldugly strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoroldugly strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoroldugly strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoroldugly strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoroldugly strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoroldugly strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoroldugly strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoroldugly strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoroldugly strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoroldugly strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 136021
Editing OK?: No

Do you mind if I tag along to "lurk and lurn?"
Assorted old film gear.
And my trusty 45 year old Weston light meter.
Critiques and comments always welcome.
oldugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

transcape5 is just really very very nicetranscape5 is just really very very nicetranscape5 is just really very very nicetranscape5 is just really very very nicetranscape5 is just really very very nicetranscape5 is just really very very nicetranscape5 is just really very very nicetranscape5 is just really very very nicetranscape5 is just really very very nicetranscape5 is just really very very nicetranscape5 is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 77753

Interesting study with the flash and gel, which I've never heard of before until Camel. Is it pretty much like putting color plates on a theater spotlight?

Too bad I don't live close enough or I could have saved you $5.
Old 04-12-2009   #9
Camel Breath

Just to clarify...we live in a town of 750 people. Everybody knows everybody. In front of my stduio is the "town square" and the kids always hang out there. I thought I knew one of the boys, and when they came in, I found out I did not. Turns out, this young man is the brother to a "model" I have shot before, so he was very comfortable. He was even giving me suggestions on my light placements...which I thought was funny.

Let the learning begin! Woohoo!

Old 04-12-2009   #10
Camel Breath

Man Tom, that would be great.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »

Share this topic: