PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2008   #11
Camel Breath

patterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3815913
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: working with softlighter and reflector again

No expert here, but here are my observations and questions.
If you use Benji's r 240 thing they are definitely a little hot.

Did you use a light meter and what did you get for readings. If you didn't, why the hell not. No seriously, then how did you do it?

I think this is really close. I think if you either dropped the light or lifted her chin the lighting would be better. I always use a reflector and I'm not sure why the size of the softlighter would matter. I get the the bigger the softer rule, but in studio lighting there is always a fill , right? Either a reflector or a fill light, unless you are going for very dramatic lighting, which I would think you wouldn't want for a beautiful young lady. And with this dark BG I think a reflector's a good idea.

See the shadows in her smile lines I think that's because the lights too far back and not forward enough. In my mind if the light is feathered or aimed in front of the subject, the softlighters produce nice soft shadows.

SO lifting the chin or lowering the light, and rotating her face to her right or pulling the light forward may have been better.

First one is broad lit, with all the usual discussion there. And the second is dead straight on almost, so just a few degrees that make it probably technically short lit, but not enough.

How far away was the reflector and how far away was the softlighter.

Next time take a pic of the setup and then someone who knows a lot more than me may help more.

...in my mind.

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #12
Photocamel Master

nldunne strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornldunne strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornldunne strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornldunne strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornldunne strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornldunne strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornldunne strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornldunne strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornldunne strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornldunne strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornldunne strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 181996

Sis

I have to add my vote for the second one down in this case. I love softer lighting.

Well Done!
Old 12-21-2008   #13
Photocamel Master

brian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by patterfr View Post
SO lifting the chin or lowering the light, and rotating her face to her right or pulling the light forward may have been better.
With the "umbrella effect" of the SoftLiter, you'd have been fine simply moving the light closer to the camera axis. Another 10 degrees would have done it, I think, based on the catchlights in that last image.

Aim it like an umbrella and position it like a softbox. The light spread is STILL going to happen but the falloff is going to work like a softbox.

And you're right: in the right spot, the reflector is pointless, imo.
Old 12-21-2008   #14
Photocamel Muse

Athena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 61445

Sis, did you have it up high and angled down on her? Or up high and facing flat?

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #15
Camel Breath

patterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Sis, do you got a pic of your setup?

Still disagree about the reflector.

Old 12-21-2008   #16
Photocamel Muse

Athena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very nice

I think the need or lack thereof for the reflector has a lot to do with the size of the light source and where it is placed. In my mind (feeble tho it is) that seems a huge factor - one that would indeed determine how much wrap you are going to get.

So someone please give me some good angles.

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Old 12-21-2008   #17
Camel Breath

Well in the interest of discussion:
If there is a magic spot for the softlighter, where a reflector is rendered obsolete, then why wouldn't we just find that spot and eliminate the need for all these other lights in studio lighting.

Old 12-21-2008   #18
Photocamel Master

brian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I think the need or lack thereof for the reflector has a lot to do with the size of the light source and where it is placed. In my mind (feeble tho it is) that seems a huge factor - one that would indeed determine how much wrap you are going to get.

So someone please give me some good angles.
DaveB provided some good SoftLiter images a while back...

Simple 2-light Glamour Image

Note the catchlights and shadows. It's much closer to camera axis than one would think.
Old 12-21-2008   #19
Photocamel Muse

I don't mean to say there is a magic spot, but I do think where you put it makes a big difference in the type of light you get on your subject. Some spots perhaps are best with a reflector and some without, kwim?

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Old 12-21-2008   #20
Camel Breath

Yup. Exactly what you mean.
SO don't throw out your reflector just yet!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »

Share this topic: