PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008   #1
Vicuna

cyclone will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 92
Default 2 year old portrait

One of my wife's friends asked for a maternity shot with her 2 year old. After that I took some of the daughter alone as well. I take a lot of younger kid's pictures; they are easy in one aspect and very hard in another. Easy because you don't necessarily have to pose them perfect like a adult - if you set them up initially, many times after they move around, their personality shows through, which is what you are trying to capture. Hard because they constantly move around, are distracted easily, and quickly tire of the whole process. This one turned out nicely; I'm still trying to get a nice even high key background on these type of shots.

Old 05-03-2008   #2
Camel Breath

patterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3815913
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: 2 year old portrait

To my eyes this looks great!!
There is a little unevenness to the BG on my monitor but nothing that can't be fixed with a little dodging.
Great exposure and no overexposed edges light spill. I think you did a great job.
Cute girl, cute smile. Nice dress, pose, and purse. SHould I go on?
Great! I wish mine looked this good.
Let's see what the experts say.

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008   #3
Camel Breath

Rain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 10492564

I'm not one of those experts, but I think this is really nice! GREAT expression and pose. I'll be watching to see what others say about this too, but I love it.
Sis
Old 05-03-2008   #4
Vicuna

Thanks for the comments, Fran and Sis. I've done this pose twice now for girls in dresses, and I like it. You just need to repose them and the dress every few shots because they get squirmy. The purse was my wife's idea to keep the hands still - just a brilliant idea.
Old 05-03-2008   #5
Guanaco

rebeccah is just really nicerebeccah is just really nicerebeccah is just really nicerebeccah is just really nicerebeccah is just really nicerebeccah is just really nice
CamelKarma: 589

Awww! How adorable. The expression and pose are lovely. I'm afraid I can't help with lighting a high key background as I haven't attempted it yet...lol. Great work!
Old 05-03-2008   #6
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
KellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very niceKellyL is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 45181

I know how hard these shots are to light, and I think you did a nice job. Good work.

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008   #7
Bactrian

Maggie_B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMaggie_B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMaggie_B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMaggie_B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMaggie_B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMaggie_B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMaggie_B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMaggie_B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMaggie_B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMaggie_B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMaggie_B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1324420

Absolutely adorable....and with that little purse...precious!
Exposure looks excellent and there is a little shadow around her dress to ground her so she isn't floating. Great job!

Mag
Old 05-03-2008   #8
Photocamel Muse

Athena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 61445

Very beautiful - I bet her Mum is thrilled. I know I would be.

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008   #9
Llama

toto le robot is just really nicetoto le robot is just really nicetoto le robot is just really nicetoto le robot is just really nicetoto le robot is just really nice
CamelKarma: 474
Editing OK?: Ask first

a classic, perfectly done
toto le robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008   #10
Vicuna

Thanks for the comments everyone; I've been trying to concentrate on these high keys lately, and I've been slowly improving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie B
and there is a little shadow around her dress to ground her so she isn't floating.
I bought some shiny white panel board from the local Menards a few months ago. It saves wear and tear on the background paper, is easy to light, and produces a nice shadow/reflection on these type of shots. I got two 4x8 foot panels for less than $10 each. The seam between the two usually disappears in the lighting. I can't remember where this idea came from (probably someone on this forum), but it works very nicely.

cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »

Share this topic: