PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

k9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 538836
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Crystal and Brandon

This is the one they chose for the paper. I did clone out the extra catchlights per Athena's suggestion in the other thread.

My issue with it is that the wrinkles in the muslin are showing. I should have backed up some and show with a longer focal length, but I didn't. If anyone has a minute or two to spare, and could outline the steps I need to use to blur the background in Photoshop, I'd appreciate it. I am no photoshop wizard.

War Eagle
k9ofkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #2
Llama

sonshine_rae has much to be proud ofsonshine_rae has much to be proud ofsonshine_rae has much to be proud ofsonshine_rae has much to be proud ofsonshine_rae has much to be proud ofsonshine_rae has much to be proud ofsonshine_rae has much to be proud ofsonshine_rae has much to be proud ofsonshine_rae has much to be proud ofsonshine_rae has much to be proud ofsonshine_rae has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 10812
Default Re: Crystal and Brandon

hmm I don't use photoshop, but I would mask the couple out, then selectively gaussian blur the background, a bit heavily. And see if that will be enough. Some people clone out the wrinkles.. but that seems to tedious to me.
*Hoping to recapture the joy of photography, whilst suffering from chronic health problems that limit my physical abilities ..* Gear List: Canon Rebel XSI, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens; Panasonic DMC FZ50 12x Optical Zoom 35mm equiv. 35-420mm.
sonshine_rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #3
Photocamel Master

gaopa2 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgaopa2 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgaopa2 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgaopa2 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgaopa2 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgaopa2 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgaopa2 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgaopa2 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgaopa2 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgaopa2 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgaopa2 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1032869

Maurice.....forget the wrinkles! That is a fine photograph and I can see why they wanted it for the paper. Well done!
gaopa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #4
Camel Breath

patterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3740139

THis is some very fine work IMHO and I can see how they would like it. Since they are so different from the background color, use the Quick selection tool run it around them, invert selection>gaussian blur, high, all this on a dup layer. then adjust opacity on the duplicated layer. Add a sweet little vignette from Jason on his actions and voila. The edge sometimes looks alittle rough, you can use the refine edge function or a mask and work on the edges yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0174crop_pp0001small.jpg (99.2 KB, 107 views)

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #5
Llama

TimAndrea is a glorious beacon of lightTimAndrea is a glorious beacon of lightTimAndrea is a glorious beacon of lightTimAndrea is a glorious beacon of lightTimAndrea is a glorious beacon of lightTimAndrea is a glorious beacon of lightTimAndrea is a glorious beacon of lightTimAndrea is a glorious beacon of lightTimAndrea is a glorious beacon of lightTimAndrea is a glorious beacon of lightTimAndrea is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1557

looks nice, did you ps the skin at all? i like the conversioned one as well.
Old 03-06-2008   #6
Dromedary

Dacoda Image has a brilliant futureDacoda Image has a brilliant futureDacoda Image has a brilliant futureDacoda Image has a brilliant futureDacoda Image has a brilliant futureDacoda Image has a brilliant futureDacoda Image has a brilliant futureDacoda Image has a brilliant futureDacoda Image has a brilliant futureDacoda Image has a brilliant futureDacoda Image has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 14623
Editing OK?: Ask first

Maurice, I really like this image... share your lighting set up! I see you shot this at f/9.0... maybe you could have done f/5.6 or move them a tad bit further from the BG to achieve a bit more bokeh... oh well as you can see from the other post above and mine as well, good ol photoshop can help us with our 'after thoughts'. I use the lens blur though rather than glassian blur.

I do like your BG... where did you get that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maurices pic.jpg (98.1 KB, 96 views)

Dacoda Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #7
Photocamel Muse

Athena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 61445

That's really nice Maurice. At what size will it print in the paper? Color or B&W? You way want to drop it to B&W for them if that's how it will print.

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #8
Camel Breath

patterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3740139

And in hindsight he's got a few red dots on his nose, above his upper left lip and a few on his left neck I'm sure that could be "healed" as well. I'll leave the lighting etc up to you lighting gurus, but I think they'll love this and 50 yrs from now they'll look back at this picture as their "engagement pic" Nice thought, huh?

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #9
F1 Camel

harryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorharryd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 151938

Mojo you did good with the lighting on this one too! I like the edits with the background out of focus more as well.

http://pbase.com/harrydavid
Amateur having fun! Feel free to edit any of my images.
harryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #10
Camel Breath

k9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armork9ofkaos strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 538836

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshine_rae View Post
hmm I don't use photoshop, but I would mask the couple out, then selectively gaussian blur the background, a bit heavily. And see if that will be enough. Some people clone out the wrinkles.. but that seems to tedious to me.
Thanks Rae. I'm really going to have to get better at post work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaopa2 View Post
Maurice.....forget the wrinkles! That is a fine photograph and I can see why they wanted it for the paper. Well done!
Thank you Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by patterfr View Post
THis is some very fine work IMHO and I can see how they would like it. Since they are so different from the background color, use the Quick selection tool run it around them, invert selection>gaussian blur, high, all this on a dup layer. then adjust opacity on the duplicated layer. Add a sweet little vignette from Jason on his actions and voila. The edge sometimes looks alittle rough, you can use the refine edge function or a mask and work on the edges yourself.
I like your edit. Thanks for taking time to explain and show how you did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAndrea View Post
looks nice, did you ps the skin at all? i like the conversioned one as well.
I use Portrait Professional, but I always set it at about 30% opacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacoda Image View Post
Maurice, I really like this image... share your lighting set up! I see you shot this at f/9.0... maybe you could have done f/5.6 or move them a tad bit further from the BG to achieve a bit more bokeh... oh well as you can see from the other post above and mine as well, good ol photoshop can help us with our 'after thoughts'. I use the lens blur though rather than glassian blur.

I do like your BG... where did you get that?
I used an AB800 with large octabox camera left and perpendicular to the lens axis for main metered at f/8, hoping this would feather the light. Fill was an AB800 with 35 inch octabox on axis about head high metered at f/5.6.

I got the background from Silverlake. They are very heavy duty muslins and quite expensive, but they also sell onm ebay and you can get some at a fairly good price there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
That's really nice Maurice. At what size will it print in the paper? Color or B&W? You way want to drop it to B&W for them if that's how it will print.
I did a BW convert and sent to them for the paper. I guess it will be the standard small size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryd View Post
Mojo you did good with the lighting on this one too! I like the edits with the background out of focus more as well.
Thanks Harry.

War Eagle
k9ofkaos is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »

Share this topic: