The Music Teacher
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2007   #1
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default The Music Teacher

Our music teacher retired this year. At her last concert, I snuck behind stage to take some photographs. I was behind her, hidden off behind the curtains. I snapped this photo using my 85 mm f/1,8 lens. I don't know if you can appreciate the portrait or not, but for her, the students were always the most important part of her career.

I am posting two versions. One unframed, the other framed.

File Type: jpg srpiano teacher copy.JPG (96.7 KB, 353 views)

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 151938
Default Re: The Music Teacher

Kelly I love it! My wife is a music teacher and I know she would love it too. Very creative. If imitation is the most sincere form of flattery I am sure I will be flattering you the first chance I got.

http://pbase.com/harrydavid
Amateur having fun! Feel free to edit any of my images.
harryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #3
Camel Breath

Thank you Harry! I don't know if people will really understand why I think this is perhaps one of the best photos I think I have ever done. Most people would want to see the face of the music teacher, but the point that she is not looking at the camera, and that the student is out of focus requires one to ask what the subject of the photo is. The answer...music. How do you photograph music? This teacher loves music. I am having this framed as a retirment gift for her.

Your response as the husband of a music teacher makes me think that perhaps she might love it as well.

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
Old 06-12-2007   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 32
Editing OK?: Ask First

Kelly,

This is really stunning! I totally get the concept you were trying to portray. I am sure she will absolutely love it. Great job!!
AJW390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 151938

Kelly I am sure she will love it. One thing that good teachers all have in common is and I quote you "the students were always the most important part of her career". My wife also believes it is all about the kids. That being said, my wife never wants to stand out during a performance and your photo with the teachers back to the camera is showing the music is the important thing not the teacher and having the student performing in the background makes this extra special. I am sure she will treasure your photo for years to come.

http://pbase.com/harrydavid
Amateur having fun! Feel free to edit any of my images.
harryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045

Kelly,

This tells a great story as you put it. I certainly would not have gotten it without the explanation, so I do appreciate that I agree that it is very creative and thought provoking. I guarantee she will love this photo!!

I really like the DOF work you pulled off. I'm wondering if the Music is the main subject, it might be interesting seeing her slightly oof as well?? This way the music is crystal clear, she is slightly blurred, and the background is totally oof??

In any even that thought just came to me I love it the way it is!! Great job

Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #7
MVB
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 303
Editing OK?: Ask First

Very awesome, she should love this gift. It is not always necessary to see the face,this portrait tells a story, & should provide her much joy.
Great job,
Mitch
MVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #8
Camel Breath

Thanks very much guys. I greatly appreciate your comments. It is very odd...this whole photography thing. Gets a grip on your heart.

Old 06-12-2007   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyL View Post
Gets a grip on your heart.
Ditto that my friend

Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #10
Camel Breath

Jay, I may try throwing the teacher out of focus. Hadn't thought of that, but it might be interesting.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »

Share this topic: