My daughter
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 637652
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default My daughter

this is the attire, the Indian girls are used to.......a glimpse...she is my daughter........comme100_0338-1 modified-1 by cgopal shroti, on Flickrnts are welcome .

Last edited by shroti; 1 Week Ago at 02:20 PM.. Reason: double posting...
shroti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Llama

Default Re: My daughter

my daughter....Nivedita.....an Indian attire, she or most Indian girls wait for festivals to leave their jeans-top...100_0338-1 modified-1 by cgopal shroti, on Flickr
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 105604
Editing OK?: Ask First

Well, you said critique is okay, so here it goes...

The pink border is completely out of place with a B&W image. That just needs to go.

The eye is naturally drawn to the brightest part of the image. That would be the jewels of the bracelet.

Her left hand is posed like a monster's claw. Not the least bit elegant.

Overall tones are, on my monitor, very dark and muddy. The right fore-arm - the one with the claw digging into it? - is brighter than the face.

The lighting is, overall, very flat. 'Highlights next to shadows to create detail, depth, dimension and added color saturation.' - David Ziser Well, it's B&W, so color saturation is moot, but the rest of the quote is very apt here. There's hardly anything to suggest depth in the image.

Compositionally, I'd like to see the eyes closer to 1/3 of the way down, and not clipping the top of the head off. A backlite would help create separation between your daughter and the background. It's difficult to see the separation between the scarf over her head and the background.

Surely this could be a much better image - with a little better posing, a little better lighting, and a little better presentation.

I would recommend posing her next to a large window - maybe one with a sheer curtain to help soften the light. And maybe in color - traditional Indian dress are just made for Kodachrome! Study the masters - Study Monte Zucker, but also study some of the classic painters.

I hope you take these comments, critical as they may be, with the helpfulness I've intended.
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Llama

Arved....thnks my dear....when I am in the field, I have my ups and downs.....Therefore, it is my pleasure to have ur views, rather than criticism. They tell a good story......
I have showed to my daughter the analysis you made and she had a good smile......We do not make or shoot one picture, but pictures of various objects, including portraiture and like to agree or differ in lighting, composition,perspective and more points.

Reg her hand, it is a bit loose, matching with the ornaments(in neck,hand and her gorgeous sari) and her face supported on it. Naturally, I got a different pose, close to our Indian tradition - a bit blushed (my opinion).......................................... .I am obliged u took time....the points u raised are in my head, but, as we do not pose a single picture, rather many, the similarity sometimes may occur.......thnks again,as the subject is very long. and can be discussed on any other photo, I post next time.
I agree on border........cud u suggest 'border in color'....black, I avoid here....no doubt the pic is in b&w, drawing b&w border is good.
Old 2 Days Ago   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

OK, all that Arved said and, I see a difference between the textures of the face and the rest of the photo. Was that an exaggerated post-production?
Ahmed Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Hours Ago   #6
Llama

In India, or at many places the model should look flattered, and we get a chance to remove any wrinkles or spots or pimples, so the soft look given to the face enhances the beauty and no chance to get complaint from the girl or her parents ----- as the photo may be sent for marriage settlement to her in-laws.....India is different when comes to rituals.

Yesterday I attended a dinner of a friend's grand daughter, having her new name too. The guy married that south Indian girl in Indian style and migrated to US. Came for a week. 80% Indian boy or girl prefer local (Indian) couple...................so that flattering effect..................!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »

Share this topic: