PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012   #1
Guanaco

SA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2990787
Editing OK?: Yes
Default A Before/After For Your Consideration

I'd like to start out by saying that I take precious few portrait pictures. In fact, it would be safe to say that I normally avoid taking pictures of people at all costs. That said, taking pictures of people and making them look good is something I find interesting - that's why I'm posting this.

Awhile back I was asked to take an employee picture of someone who works at a bank on my island. I attached the Nikon 85mm f/1.4 lens onto my D700 (because I've read that is a "portrait" lens) and went off to take her picture . . . IN the bank.

Scott Kelby brought his Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It tour to Seattle a couple months ago. I attended and also have his book on the same subject. When I got the pictures of this woman into my computer, I was planning on doing some color-correction and maybe sharpening. But, you see, she had this wild nose hair that I kept focusing on. I took the image into Photoshop to fix that and guess what? I ended up staying in Photoshop and "fixing" a lot of other things too.

If I had it to do over, I would probably decrease the contrast a little and soften the color of her makeup. One thing I would like to point out, though, is that her eyes were not completely even with each other. This is something I never would have thought of if it weren't for Scott Kelby. Perhaps you can see in the Before picture that her camera-right eye is higher than the other one.

Your constructive comments about what I did right or wrong are most welcome. I'll close with this: When she saw the final image, the first thing she said was "Can you decrease my double-chin a little bit?" I had already decreased the look of her chin quite a bit, so I had to deflect her request a bit.

a Nikon (and Sony A7) and Windows kind of guy
SumptuousArt.com | Me on 500px
SA_Tosterud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #2
F1 Camel

Sailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 190884
Default Re: A Before/After For Your Consideration

Scott's class sounds interesting. I wonder if he will ever bring it to Bangkok?

The best way to help the double chin is in the pose.

Peter Hurley! | It's all about the Jaw

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #3
Camel Breath

patterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3815913

Looks good.
Posture, slight leaning forward and a slight turtle move of the head and making sure she doesn't move her head back when she smiles is easier and better than trying to remove the double chin in post processing.
I think you did good.

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #4
Photocamel Master

Benji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 571490
Editing OK?: No

Yup, asking them to sit tall and project the face slightly upward and slightly forward will turn a double chin into a single chin, then to finish it off use an elevated camera position.

Benji
In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. Prov 28:23
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #5
Alpaca

bbarlow641 is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

Did she agree to have you post her picture? With her name and the comment about the wild nose hair?

What are the guidelines for something like this?

Just askin'
Ben
bbarlow641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #6
Guanaco

SA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSA_Tosterud strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2990787

I posted this for the Camel community to provide feedback on. I guess I wasn't expecting anyone from downloading and distributing it.
SA_Tosterud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #7
Alpaca

jenphotographs is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: No

Tip: If you ask someone to press the back of their tongue up against the roof of their mouth, that will also help minimize the underside of the jaw a bit.

Ironically, by lightening the shadows underneath her jaws, I think her double-chin is even more noticeable. With the shadows, her jaw is more contoured and defined, and the double isn't as apparent because it's in shadow.

I think you went a hair too far with the skin smoothing; in addition to the skin looking artificially smooth, her nose looks flat and has lost its contours. Double-check the WB, it looks a hair green now. I also suggest cloning out the errant hair strand on the right (her left).
jenphotographs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #8
Llama

kridsada is just really very very nicekridsada is just really very very nicekridsada is just really very very nicekridsada is just really very very nicekridsada is just really very very nicekridsada is just really very very nicekridsada is just really very very nicekridsada is just really very very nicekridsada is just really very very nicekridsada is just really very very nicekridsada is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 76609

i prefer untouched one. i think things like this better not to be done in post processing . because to get rid of double chin will cause another defect
to appear and end result is unnatural looking picture. for landscapes we can do lot of photoshoping and it might look ok but for portraits it is much
more difficult.
kridsada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #9
Bactrian

deluco has a brilliant futuredeluco has a brilliant futuredeluco has a brilliant futuredeluco has a brilliant futuredeluco has a brilliant futuredeluco has a brilliant futuredeluco has a brilliant futuredeluco has a brilliant futuredeluco has a brilliant futuredeluco has a brilliant futuredeluco has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 22348

I think the retouch is just a bit overdone. The color correction is fine. The original definitely has a blue cast to it. You should consider doing a custom white balance when shooting in the studio. Regarding the retouching, I think you removed too much of the lines under her eyes, and maybe you could have added a layer of softening. Also, there are a few stray hairs that can be removed.
deluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #10
Camel Breath

Rain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 10492564

I agree with the above 3 commenters. Also, if you remove too much of the under-eye skin tone (the darker tones), then the cheeks tend to look bigger, which could "add" more weight, in some cases. It also doesn't look natural, not to have some indication of the under-the-eye lines or tones.

Critique and comments always welcome.
Rain Lily is online now   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »

Share this topic: