PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012   #1
Vicuna

sndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 191661
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Jessica, please critique

tell me how i did with Miss Jessica below. be brutally honest about how i did. I am really working on my lighting skills and posing and everything else lol. looking it over i see a few things that are standing out to me. but dont want to say anything until others have posted.

Jessica1_pp by Sndsgood, on Flickr

Old 02-05-2012   #2
Camel Breath

Steven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 995836
Default Re: Jessica, please critique

Do you have the original SOOC? If you want critique on the lighting, posing and exposure you need not muddy the water with a processed image. Processing tends to mask the original results and this image appears to be heavily processed. To explain the impact each element of photo making has on an image it's best if that's all we are looking at.

Steve

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #3
Vicuna

Jay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 3144
Editing OK?: Ask first

What focal length is this portrait?
Jay Delost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #4
Vicuna

sndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsndsgood strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

i believe this is the sooc shot.

and the focal length was 35mm. not what i would have liked to use. but we were in her apartment and had no room whatsoever.

sooc by Sndsgood, on Flickr
sndsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #5
Vicuna

Jay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to allJay Delost is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 3144
Editing OK?: Ask first

Having the space to shoot portraits is definitely an unforeseen challenge, for me at least. It just looked as there might have been some lens distortion, related to WA at close distances. That's why I had asked.
Jay Delost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

keithdewey3 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkeithdewey3 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkeithdewey3 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkeithdewey3 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkeithdewey3 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkeithdewey3 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkeithdewey3 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkeithdewey3 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkeithdewey3 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkeithdewey3 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkeithdewey3 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 129749

Shooting hi key in a small space requires very careful control of the light to keep it from spilling on the subject. Probably one of the toughest lighting set ups you can try.

You have a nice 45 degree turn of her body.

In this shot you have quite a bit of light spill.
Jessica is very pretty. She has a unique face shape. I think I would have turned her face a little more to her right and then used short lighting to narrow her face.

Did you use Portrait Professional to process this? The reason I ask is there appears to be some reshaping of her cheek and I know PP will do this sometimes, especially with face shapes that are not traditional.

Keith
http://www.keithfosterphotography.com/
keithdewey3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #7
Vicuna

yeah i used portrait professional. first time using it so i think i went a bit overboard. hence the oversmoothed face and not so smooth neck line. yeah she had told me she had a huge living room and dining room and then when i got there i could only have the backdrop about 7' wide and she was only about 3' off the background with the softbox literally a foot or two away from her so my 7' backdrop became about a 4' wide backdrop. but i figured it was a good learning process. amazing how much diffrence the space makes in the lighting
Old 02-06-2012   #8
F1 Camel

Sailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 190884

It sounds like you certainly had some difficulties taking the image. The pose is good but there are some problems with the image.

Unfortunately the image looks to be underexposed a fairly large amount. I suggest you look at Benji's tutorial.

Benji - PS Technique For Checking Exposure (Portraits)

It looks like there was a window to the model's right and your light high and to the model's left. The combination resulted in almost flat lighting. Remember, it is the shadows that give a 2 dimensional image of a face an appearance of having 3 dimensions. Check out the classical lighting styles.

Portrait Lighting - Names for different portrait lighting set-ups in photography

You should also study Benji's tutorial on lighting and posing.

Benji's Studio Lighting and Posing Tutorial

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #9
Vicuna

ive been reading allot the last few days and im thinking i need to invest in a light meter so i can adjust each light instead of guessing. esp. with trying to guess with an ab400 and then an sb-900. think i could save myself allot of hassle and trial and error by getting the lighing better that way.

i had a 30x60 softbox to camera left and then my sb900 thru an umbrella on the right. i could have possibly worked with the angle of the softbox more to gotten a bit better light. the sb900 was kinda in about the only place i could get it without it getting into the picture. or maybe i could have pulled the sb900 back more towards the camera definatly something to think about.
Old 02-07-2012   #10
Camel Breath

Rain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 10429321

You did a nice job on her teeth but I think they are slightly too bright.

Critique and comments always welcome.
Rain Lily is online now   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »

Share this topic: